• Pilot
  • Customer reviews

on 7 July 2014
realy bad itam never arived
44 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Dr. Daniel Pierce struggles with mental problems, they exacerbated because he will not take his pills. Apparently he is still able to assess the minds of others - FBI Agent Kate Moretti forever seeking his services.

Ten episodes. No extras.

Television series abound with police relying on quirky helpers, their skills sometimes questionable. Some viewers may find Daniel one of the least convincing. Amongst other eccentricities, he often speaks to people who are not there (it disconcerting when they suddenly vanish from the screen). Those at times around to offer assistance include Joan of Arc and President Kennedy.

All a bit much? Far more acceptable are contributions from Max, the likeable young assistant hired to help Daniel distinguish between hallucinations and reality.

Reactions may well depend on how many such series have already been seen - they varying in quality, a few greatly trying the patience.

For most of the way I found the show ludicrous, too much of it shallow and not particularly well acted. The two-part finale, however, proves more worthy, Daniel caught up in sinister events which send his paranoid schizophrenia completely out of control. Here, at last, is something of substance.

Three stars therefore, instead of two. In the interest of honesty, I have had to confess "Perception" did not appeal to me. Be advised others have enjoyed the series very much.
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 1 November 2013
My friend recommended this series and I was a bit hesitant . However really enjoyed this series, I had unfortunately caught one or two episodes of the second series before this came in & didn't like them as much . I thought I had made a mistake purchasing this but I really enjoyed the ten episodes .
It's exceptionally well acted by Eric Mcormack and its his likability that Carry's it off . Its got a good bases about a professor who has struggled, and continues to struggle with life but has a quest & desire to learn. Each episode begins with him lecturing and this links to the theme if the series. He is on the quest with the viewer and learns something thought too. It has a degree of realism about schizophrenia and is sympathetic to this , but does include episodes where he can't cope . And throughout the episodes despite the fact the professor is pessimistic about his own life he is optimistic & works hards for others to enhance there life's and overcome there obstacles . He just struggles with his own . It's nice to have a flawed main character who is searching with the viewer.

Overall I would definitely recommend buying this , it's a good price and likeable series - I pref it to season 2 - which seemed a bit to frivolous .
Just a shame there is only ten episodes in a season. Thankfully a season 3 has been commissioned .
on 1 February 2015
This is a great series. Sadly, I don't watch this via my browser but using Amazon's Fire TV in one room and through an App on my TV in another. Today I find that this series is no longer free to watch. I spoke to Amazon and was told that they do give 30 days notice if, like me, you had added this series to my watch list BUT they only do this if you watch it on a browser. So, in effect, I wasn't told and Perception is now instantly pay per view halfway through the series.
Good Show Perception. Poor Show Amazon.
on 30 September 2013
Having watched this series last year when it first showed on tv channel Watch, I was hooked from episode 1. The chemistry between all the actors is brilliant, the concept of the show is great, and overall, I love it. It is mostly light-hearted, but also has it's serious moments.

Eric McCormack plays Dr Daniel Pearce, an eccentric professor of neuroscience who also happens to suffer from paranoid schizophrenia. When FBI agent, and ex-student, Kate Moretti (Rachel Leigh-Cook) comes to him for help on a case she is working, his visions and delusions help him to tie together the pieces they cannot see.

Whilst there have been countless crime drama shows depicting the "officer + expert" teaming up to solve crimes, this one stands above the rest due to it's creativity and chemistry. I am part way through watching series 2 now and it is just as good. I have no idea why it is taking so long for these series to become available in the UK on DVD! Series 3 has just been comissioned, so excited for that too!
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 30 April 2014
Takes a while to get going, but when it does, it's very good TV. Eric McCormack's acting is excellent, and it's really nice to see a main character dealing with a mental illness whilst still having an important role to play within his fictional world, and within the show. And his character, Dr Daniel Pierce, does not merely have safe little hallucinations then go back to normal, he does really struggle with his illness. The fact that the show manages to explore these issues sensitively whilst staying watchable and entertaining, is a testament to the quality of the writing I think. The premise of a FBI consultant with 'special powers' (in this case, his hallucinations) may have been done before, but this mental illness approach does put a new twist on it, and does it very well. Every episode is good. If you like American procedural dramas, or Eric McCormack, you wont be disappointed with 'Perception'.
on 21 January 2016
Where to start? OK. Let's begin by saying that I love this series, or rather, the first season that I have managed to see courtesy this set of DVD-s. The stories are brilliant, well-acted, fast, quirky, laced with humour & irony, occasionally disturbing, and deeply enjoyable. I especially admire the skill demonstrated by the script-writers who have produced scripts that allow us to seamlessly follow the mind of Dr Daniel Pierce, in light as well as darkness. Only regret (as far as this DVD is concerned) is that there were no special features or additional illuminatory information. BUt perhaps they are not necessary.

Be a perceptive viewer, and pick it up.
on 3 April 2015
Such a great show! No idea why they've cancelled it, it is SO much better than a lot of other tv shows that are currently being made! With a fantastic cast and great storylines you get completely sucked in to the world of Dr Daniel Pierce (a neuroscience professor who suffers with paranoid schizophrenia) and his consultancy work for the FBI with his friend Special Agent Kate Moretti. The show strikes a great balance between the complicated but interesting storylines (based around neurological issues) and the endearing characters and relationships that develop over the episodes. Such a great show. I'm gutted they've cancelled it, but I'm so glad I can at least own it on dvd - so I can keep rewatching it!
on 5 June 2015
This is one of the best series to come out of America for decades in my opinion. It is brilliantly written and excellently acted. I love that the main character has a history of psychosis, which enables him to understand the difficult cases that are presented to him. It is fantastic that finally, this can be seen as a good thing rather than something to be avoided and hidden. There are a large number of very famous people who also had a mental illness which, unfortunately, little is known (Vincent Van Gough, Freud and Winston Churchill to name a few. If you haven't seen it, its worth a look.
on 4 March 2018
I have not come across of this series as we don't have Sky. Another flawed hero but a good man. Very interesting plots - Dr Pierce has an amazing brain and solves the mysteries with people only he can see but who put him on to the clues. I will be looking for the next series soon.