on 7 December 2014
I'm not impressed. First recipe I tried was Carrot and Almond Cake', which amongst other ingredients called for 1 cup almond flour, 1 cup coconut flour, and 3 eggs. The mixture was far too dry, and too tight to rise. As most people know who have experimented with Paleo baking, coconut flour requires a lot more liquid. I can only assume there is a misprint in the recipe, or the recipe has not been adequately tested. Overall, I would not recommend this book, as I fear the carrot cake recipe is representative of all the other recipes.
on 30 March 2014
Paleo bread is tough to get right. These recipes are easy on the surface but rarely work , my search continues for a book of almost idiot proof recipes . Also the lack of pictures was sadly a negative . The witty prose saves it from being a one-star
on 23 February 2014
Haven't tried all the recipes but the ones I have the ingredient proportions don't add up. Coconut and coffee bread recipe was a complete fail. Far too much coconut flour in recipe so don't know what that was all about. Sticking to established authors :(
on 24 January 2016
This is probaby the worst recipe book I've ever seen.

Firstly, let's ignore the occasional typo of the their/they're/there variety... Let's also ignore, tough as it may be, the hippy-dippy tone of the book. A bunch of recipies say stuff like "you will need these wonderful things to make this" instead of simply "ingredients" and "3 free range eggs (born free, not liberated from the carton)". *Sigh*. I bought the book for the recipies, not author's sunny-side-up outlook on life.

Secondly, this is NOT a book of bread recipies, it's a book of loaf cakes. Just because you bake something in a loaf pan, that doesn't automatically make it bread. Except for possibly 1 recipe (which I haven't tried), you wouldn't make a sandwich with any of them--these are just not savoury things you'd put a slice of meat over. As some of the recipe blurbs say, eat it with tea. Very few people accompany their tea by a slice of actual bread. That's clue one.

Thirdly, and most importantly, there is no information in the recipies whether an ingredient is meansured in a dry cup or a liquid cup. It sounds obvious, I know, but there are plenty of recipies where dense liquids, such as molases or maple syrup, go into dry cups, and shredded ingredients such as apples or carrots go into either depending on what the recipe needs. This can be extremely offputting to a novice.

Fourthly, the recipes simply don't work. Full stop. Quite certain I used the right cups for the right ingredients. Having done a fair bit of Paleo baking, a like for like substitution of almond flour for coconut flour is pretty much unheard of, as the two have different consistencies, do different things to the batter, and require different amount of liquid (as some of the other reviewers said also). That's clue two.

I tried the "carrot bread", err, carrot cake. It was as sloppy goopy mess (and I followed the recipe precisely). Having supposed to have baked for half an hour, the contents of the pan were still barely solid after 1 hour. Eventually it looked like almond would burn, so took it out. It was cooked through, but couldn't be cut--had to be eaten as a crumble with a fork. The taste of almond was overpowering. Couldn't taste the carrot if my life dependded on it. After a few forkfulls, the rest went in the bin.

Next I tried the "lemmon poppy seed bread" which is a coffee cake rather than a savoury poppy seed bread (which I've had before, and it's genuine bread and delicious one at that). The resulting bread/cake was solid enough to cut, although still crumbled heavily, but was very dry. The flavour was very bland, couldn't bring myself to have another slice. The rest went in the bin.

I used to bake professionally, so pretty sure this isn't a matter of my not following the recipies correcty or anything like that.

This book is a total waste. Feel like I should ask for a refund. Not the £0.99 I paid for the Kindle book, of course, but the cost of ingredients and the time I spent on this nonsense.
on 25 August 2015
Love these recipes and the humour! Just started Paleo and craving a bread like food (bread always my downfall) and these recipes fill the bill. Would like less sweet stuff (agave syrup etc.) but I'm sure I'll find a way round it with some experimenting. Thank you Mr Taylor.
on 13 August 2013
great little cookbook as are the other one in the series that I have easy to follow and the ingredients are easy to find, everything I have made has come out tasting great
on 30 April 2014
Have tried a couple of recipes already and must say they were easy and yummy.
Quite easy to put together too.
on 20 October 2013
I've never read a recipe book that's so easy to get started with and one that's also so darn funny!! The author is hilarious!

Recipes are super easy to make and so scrumptious sounding!

I will be telling everyone I know about this book and the others too! I want to have all of them written by this author because I have a smile on my face as I read them!

Can't wait to make some of the recipes!!
on 5 September 2014