on 2 February 2017
Book is very tiny for the amount of money, not like usual books out of "...for Dummies" series.
on 13 January 2016
The equations are beyond me, I'm afraid I've given up on it. It does seem well written and the usual standard of this great range, but not for me this time. Think I need a 'Physics for imbeciles' instead.
on 10 February 2017
I like the idea of the book, to explain the fundamentals of physics without getting too bogged down. Sadly the book falters fairly early on - the explanation of vectors is quite poor. For example, you really need to understand the difference between a cartesian expressed vector, a polar expressed vector, and how to convert between the two. Also it's important to know how the angle of the polar vector can be positive or negative (for example how to draw an angle of -45, and how that is equivalent to +315). I felt this wasn't explained very clearly.

If a little more effort had been put into explaining vectors early on, this would have paid dividends later on, as pretty much the rest of the book relies on vectors.

I also thought the explanation on describing an accelerating drag racer, and the derivation of the equations there, was far more confusing than it needed to be.

I stuck with the book and was able to get through it, and understand more or less all of it. However, I would recommend if you have bought this book, and are finding it hard going, that you check out a few of the free online resources first, then come back to this book. For example, have a look at the vectors page on "Maths is Fun", and work through their simple example, and I think you will be better prepared to get more out of this book.

In summary, a brave attempt but falls at the first hurdle. Explanations were a lot more confused than they should have been.
on 28 August 2013
I bought this as a gift for my son because he is obsessed with science. After he read this book he said it was extremely interesting and we bought most of the books in the "for dummies" series 10/10! I would highly recommend for both people struggling with physics or people that like reading science books.
on 11 August 2013
Sadly I cannot recommend buying this book on kindle. The fractions and algebraic formulae are so small that they are virtually illegible and not susceptible of increasing the font size. What a pity. Fortunately I only looked at the sample, so did not waste money.
on 5 July 2015
Dedicate a couple of days to this and you'll have a better understanding of more principles than a years worth of stuffy lectures gets you.

Very simple to follow. I recommend doing the scenarios as the author describes them. Often you'll be able to jump to the right answer before its explained... A good sign that the books explaining a principle clearly IMO!
on 26 September 2013
I'm a fan of the Dummies range and this book was perfect for my little brain to learn about physics!
on 12 May 2014
Bought this to have a look at with my 9 year old as he asks questions that I can't remember the answer from my days at school, I like the dummies range of books as they are straight forward.....this is a bit advanced for him but we have it for later on when he's older
on 11 September 2014
As Mr. S. S. Macloughlin has said, the formulas, diagrams etc. are far too small to be readable. Good job i got it free with the Samsung kindle app.
on 10 March 2013
Exactly what my Grandson wanted for revision purposes, It will go perfectly along side the books he has from school.