on 11 December 2008
This book is by far the best beginners guide to Lightroom 2. What it lacks in details of sophisticated processing techniques, it more than makes up for in easy-to-follow steps for getting to grips with this highly complex program for the first time.
When presented with an application as initially baffling as Lightroom 2, it is easy to get totally overwhelmed by the enormous number of options there are at every stage of every process. By taking a do-this-don't-do-that approach, this book enables one to start using Lightroom almost instantly.
This approach is so much better than other books which start by considering all the options in detail, leaving the reader in total confusion as what is best to do. I found this book an excellent prelude to exploring Scott Kelby's detailed book, which fills out the techniques learnt initially in the Dummies book.
on 4 February 2009
If you are a newcomer to Lightroom, this is essential.

Lightroom is a way of working not just another piece of software. Like other Photoshop products, there are numerous 'hidden' features that you will not find without reading the book. Generally I can find my way around a piece of software without a manual, but not with Lightroom. The organisation and understanding of the Catalogue is essential. Without this book I would have been so frustrated, I think I would have given up.

It is well written, and easy to follow.
on 12 June 2009
I'm about 2/3 of the way through. It's very clear and very good. I like the chatty style. I can't think of anything to criticise about it - the pictures are also good. I'd just be stuck if I didn't have it as there is no guide within Lightroom when you buy it (or at least both versions I bought from Amazon didn't have a guide book - I returned one thinking this was an error - what a bizarre customer care policy Adobe has?!). So this is a very worthwhile purchase.
on 24 March 2009
This book is a great introduction to basic Lightroom 2 usage, including what each tool is and how to use it in a fairly simple way. It also teaches you how to instigate a workflow which I found useful.

The book isn't perfect, but it is certainly a very good introduction if you find the software confusing (I for example hadn't used anything like it before). Value for money wise, you probably won't do better if you're a beginner.
on 4 January 2011
Found the more profesional books clearer. Found myself saying "what are they on about" Not very helpful, Anyone new to Lightroom 2 would be better off with The Adobe Lightrom 2 Book by Martin Evening, and plenty of patience. The Dummies book may have all the information , but its all down to how it is explained, this is were it falls down badly, "clear as mud"
on 13 June 2010
The book no doubt explains most of the intricacies of Lightroom but, in my opinion, not particularly clearly.
on 4 May 2012
I bought this book to help me develop skills and use in Lightroom for my own personal projects as well as enabling me to deliver it at gcse level. A great step by step book that simply explains the basic to more developed use of Lightroom. Also scope to use pages for handouts in lessons. Really glad I chose this book.
on 12 December 2014
Not my favourite dummies book. I found it hard to follow and I still can't fully understand lightroom. However this may not be the fault of the author but my inability to grasp this really complicated program.
on 31 January 2014
excellent book in very good condition,easy to follow and understand the instructions. I would definitely recommend this book for lightroom users.
on 4 February 2014
Thank you for the prompt service. I can only hope that the book will help me understand the programme. My husband is reading it first! xx