on 9 March 2009
I'll start by saying that this is extremely similar to the CS3 version of the book, but it's still well worth getting hold of. There are some new hints and tips, as well updated parts that cover the new functionality of CS4.

He's also now included a chapter on HDR. This includes not only how to process the images in Photoshop, but also how to process them using Photomatix, which pretty much everyone accepts is the best tool to use for tonemapping multiple exposures.

This is a well written book and like all of his others that I've bought, has helped to improve not only my Photoshop skills, but also my photography skills. I have come to rely on his easy-going style and very clear steps to help me get the most out of Photoshop and my camera.
on 15 March 2013
Informative and expressed in clear English. Very in depth hints techniques and useful tips about the product and how to get the best from it. I have used Photoshop for quite some time but I still found lots to widen my understanding of how to get the best from CS4. The illustrations are clear and helpful. this book would suite both beginner and experienced software dabblers alike.
on 13 August 2011
This valuable reference book opens doors into the many facets of Photoshop, giving examples of what you want to do, and the ways in which you can do it. Scott Kelby is a well-known and respected authority on Photoshop, so you don't have to look much further to understand and use the medium with confidence. It has provided answers to many finding ways of producing super images - providing, of course that you can take decent photos to start with. For me, this book was a bargain, and a treasure-trove of useful information.
on 19 November 2010
This is a very good book for those who own a high end camera ( DSLR or pro-sumer ), and have just educated themselves about the "RAW" format. Often one comes back froma trip and finds that some of the images turned out to be dissapointment ( happened with me ). Well !! fear not, with this book you'll know exactly how to salvage those images. The best part is you'll know ,exactly what to do in specific situations. No theoretical blah ! blah !. Right to the point ! Those chapters on levels and curves are priceless. ( Note : This was my first book on photoshop, so may be I am a bit biased )
on 1 August 2009
I'd recently went on a photography course at Central St. Martins and it was great at teaching me the photo taking aspect of photography. Unfortunately there was less time to build our knowledge on the other side of photography, the photo retouching. So they recommended the Scott Kelby books to fill in the gaps.

Though this book was meant for Photoshop CS 4, you could really just follow the fundimentals taught in the book with earlier versions of Photoshop or even Photoshop elements.

It's clear, well presented and great value being cheaper than a lot of the other guide books. You really get a sense that you're doing things right when you follow the steps these books recommend.
on 8 March 2009
A great addition to any CS4 users library. Very clearly written with lots of illustrations. This not a definitive guide but in a lot of areas is easier to use than some of the more exhaustive guides like the books by Martin Evening which I also bought. Terry Pearce
22 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 February 2015
The author helps you through the Photoshop jungle with ease. You can dip in and out of various sections, each time picking up valuable tips. For anyone using photoshop from the beginner to the professional, Scott Kelby's books are a great educational tool and very easy to follow.
on 25 April 2010
I gave up reading computer books years ago, because they're mainly written by illiterate geeks for illiterate geeks. But this one is different. Kelby is a slightly irritating, in-your-face American, but he knows it and very kindly restricts (most of) his irritating comments for short chapter intros that he encourages you to skip. The rest of the book is wonderful, and I've learned something useful on every page; I am now gleefully re-editing lots of my old photos and making them better as I do. It's a book I REALLY wish I'd read years ago.
on 14 May 2012
Was hoping a lot from this book since it was so well reviewed but the fact is that I feel like the book was not up to my expectations. I was counting that this book would breakdown PS in a way that I could clearly understand it and master it but that did not happen. I still don't understand quite a lot and I feel like the book was insufficient.
No doubt that it covers some basics but in terms of layer working (where I have more difficulties) I feel that a lot is lacking.
Nevertheless, heplful.
on 24 March 2009
If you're a digital photographer and you've bought Photoshop CS4 then this book is an absolute must. I bought the previous edition for Photoshop CS3 and was very impressed so I had no hesitation in buying the latest update. I would also recommend Martin Evening's book "Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers' as I consider this book to be another essential buy. These two books complement each other very well and contain all that anyone would need to use CS4 successfully.

Jack Ryding