Customer reviews

on 18 November 2010
I Purchased this book after borrowing a copy from my local library and I thought it's a great reference guide

I had used CS3 and know my way around it roughly, then upgraded to CS5 and quickly realised that I was only using around 5% of all of the functions so I started to look around for a book/magazines to help
Whilst there are some good magazines out there, they tend to concentrate on 1 part of CS at a time and assume that you know what to do to get that far (or at least remind you in a very brief way what you need to do), also most books tend to be expensive £20+

This book is under that £20 mark, it gives details of each step, (key presses etc) and also reminds you of how to do things like inverting etc (not quite every time it mentions it, but enough times to embed it in your mind)
The attached disc not some has sample photos for you to play with (and the whole book revolves around these photos) it also has some 12 hours of videos showing how to actually do the Projects in the book.

This I did like as whilst reading a book is one thing, being actually show is another

I would say that this is a book for beginners into CS and as well as good reference guide and refresher book for those who know about CS (like me) but are not using all of it
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 May 2011
Having been an Elements 6 user for the last couple of years producing prints from my digital images to enter photographic competitions and exhibitions, making the switch to a new PC and CS5 felt like being thrown in at the deep end, I nearly gave up, thinking I would instead purchase Elements 9.
BUT I thought that was a bit defeatist as CS5 is supposed to be the business, so instead I looked at a couple of books on Amazon and decided this essential skills one looked the best for me as it held my attention!

I would recommend everyone struggling to get to grips with CS5 orders a copy NOW. Although I have only scratched the surface so far and have not yet used the DVD, It is really easy to follow with good explanations and tips. Giving clear easy to follow instructions. I am sure it will be a constant source of reference as it is such an easy book to dip in and out of.

The section on the capability's of the up to date RAW processing has meant that so far most of my work has been done there without much else needed, therefore cutting down on time spent at the computer.

I know sooner or later the more complex operations will be needed and I look forward to working through some of them with the help of the book or DVD (or both).

I can honestly say this book has been a "lifesaver" for me.
on 24 January 2011
Excellent book.
Most people who own CS5 will already be familiar with Photoshop from earlier additions but this book is well laid out and explains in detail everything you need to know about Photoshop CS5 including the new features available.
Comes with a DVD for those who want to try out a series of exercises described in the book.
CS5 comes with ACR 6.3 and a good section of the book describes each feature of ACR along with a series of exercises and to be honest I now find that 90% of my time is spent working in ACR rather than the main body of Photoshop.
The book will be used as a reference or by students completing a course on Photoshop.
Amazons price is excellent and you will be lucky to find it cheaper !!
on 30 November 2011
This is a comprehensive book in many respects. Well produced with lots of illustrations of menu's and progress through the software as one follows the tutorials. I was initially unsure just how much I'd refer to it as its not what I'd call a 'pick and dip' book. It's more detailed than that and would repay studied viewing.
Sometimes I want a simple 'Do this' for this result set of instructions without knowing just why it worked. I've lso bought Martin evenings book as I'm determined after 15 years of using Photoshop to increase my skills by ..oh about 10% if I can.. what a program!
In short.. a good book for people who have a medium skill level already.
on 17 April 2012
This is an excellent guide to learning CS5. It is clear and detailed and well constructed. The chapters are well arranged and there are many photos to illustrate each point. I very much like the guided projects which cover a host of different digital manipulation challenges. The DVD which comes with the book is a huge bonus as it has videos of the various projects with intelligent narrative. Definately worth the money.
on 23 April 2016
This literally taught a huge amount of the stuff i know about photoshop now. A must buy!
on 11 August 2011
The book is nicely produced and although I have a lot more to read I was disappointed with the accompanying DVD. What is on it is fine and Mark Galer is a good teacher: I have his excellent DVD for Elements 7. However the one with the book is largely concerned with Photoshop CS3. CS5 is so very different that I feel the publishers could have done better with what is quite an expensive paperback.
on 1 August 2016
Excellent book easy to understand the complexities of Photoshop
on 28 December 2016
on 9 January 2015
Super book and well worth the price. This explains how to use PS5 in an easy to follow way without a lot of waffle.