Hi fellow trackers, Field and Safari Guides,

I bought this book to assist me in the identification of sign and spoor whilst on driven and walking safaris in South Africa.

The book is a small handy pocket sized paperbook containing 143 pages the majority of which are in colour.

There were no reviews on Amazon when I bought this so I was taking a chance on the content but what a pleasant surprise!

This book not only details the tracks spoor and sign of large mammals but also a variety of birds, insects, amphibians and reptiles which is way in excess of what I was expecting!

Tracks are notoriously difficult to record in the field , early morning and early evening being the best time to both spot them and photograph them because the shadows in the tracks give the photos more contrast and make it easier to spot the shape. This book takes away a lot of the hit and miss of identification giving a hand drawn image of nearly all the tracks and in some cases an excellent photo showing tracks in tne field.

Species descriptions accompany all the track illustrations making this book the ideal dual purpose book. I have purchased seperate books for mammal identification in the past that don't show any detail of tracks or sign so this is double value for money.

If you are a Field or Safari guide, just interested in African wildlife, a tracking fan, or just like camping in the African bush then this is the book for you! If you don't see or hear it but it leaves tracks around your tent in the middle of the night you can now know what it was that almost trod on you-excellent!

There is also I small section on Computer software currently used in Southern Africa which is tracking brought into the 21st century with the aid of GPS and or hand held PDA's or even mobile phone apps- I have wrote databases for the software mentioned in this section so I found this element really interesting.

Well recommended an excellent read and invaluable in the field!
Keep the wind in your face and the sun on your back -Enjoy-Bwana Foster, Phalaborwa, South Africa,
on 16 July 2012
The book is great and very comprehensive with clear illustrations and packed with information. For a pocket guide it is wonderful and I would highly recommend .

However, it was purchased with a second book from the same company and I was disappointed to be charged two delivery charges (and fairly expensive for a small book). This was explained because the books could come from different locations. The two books were delivered together in one package from the same location and with a postage that was significantly lower than even one of the postage fees I paid for....very disappointing and I would think again about using the company.
on 5 July 2015
Great tracking book!

Learned a lot of tracks to look out for in Africa in a couple of weeks. Good pictured examples of the animals' tracks. A lot of information to go along with the pictures as well.
on 28 October 2013
My kids loved this little book - actually so did I. We had it on safari in the Kafue National Park and each morning could identify what had been through the camp. A lot of fun.
on 28 July 2013
Good book, if only using out in the field. A more complete guide by Liebenberg is available for those who want to use this book for study purposes