on 20 September 2010
For some reason, there are no user reviews for this book, even though the LX3 must surely have sold very well?

If it's the first digital camera you've ever owned (like me), then this guide, though expensive, exudes quality and thoroughness and is an absolutely essential complement to the camera.

The LX3 does come with a fairly comprehensive, 160 page manual. But it's one based around description rather than explanation, and any images used to show the effect of something is reproduced in black & white. Fine if you're planning on creating lots of black & white photos, but rubbish if you decide to strangely stick with colour!

The author has also written a similar guide to the Leica D-Lux 4, which has been very well received by Amazon users and I can plainly see why.

He writes in a clear, concise, non-abbreviated style and assumes no prior knowledge of digital photography; indeed, no prior knowledge of photography at all. This means that you don't feel talked down to and there is a calm, measured pace to what you're reading.

I am one of those people who likes to understand whatever device I'm using, even if I hardly use any of its functions. Modern technology almost demands an encyclopedic knowledge of whatever it is that you're using, with manuals running to hundreds of pages and lots of baffling, offputting technical jargon.

Thankfully, little of that is present here. This is an ideal book to own and use instead of the original instruction manual, despite the author's modest claim that it is merely a complement to it.

If you are a first timer to digital photography, or this is your first proper camera after using a mobile phone or something similar, then this book is incredibly reassuring, helpful and rewarding to read - unlike the instruction manual!

Recommended without hesitation for a great little camera.

Derek
on 18 April 2011
This is a fabulous guide to the LX3, written in a very easy to understand simplistic way with some great examples. Even though I have had my LX3 a couple of years I still learned a lot of things about the camera that I didn't know.
on 29 September 2012
Obviously the LX3 is now well obsolete but I bought this to see if I could learn anything about my well used camera. It did teach me a thing ot two so I am pleased. However like all specialist small run publications it is rather expensive.
on 2 August 2011
This book does exactly what it claims. It goes thru all of the functions of the camera in detail, explaining in simple terms what each control is for and how it should be used.
I've had my LX3 for two years now and learned new things about it with almost every turn of the page. It even references obscure mods you can do with their internet links included. Very complete guide. Highly recommended. DD.
on 10 January 2013
this is a excellent book on how to get the best out of this camera, much better than the manual that came with the camera