- Amazon Student Members Get an Extra 10% Off Selected Books Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Phonetics for Dummies Paperback – 29 Nov 2013
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
- Understand the science behind speech
- Grasp real–world applications of phonetics
- Transcribe speech using the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)
- Perform well in your phonetics course
The clear and easy way to understand the science behind speech!
This detailed guide helps you comprehend the process of how speech is produced, how to transcribe speech using the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), how to read a sound spectrogram, and so much more. Written in plain English, and accompanied by dozens of helpful illustrations and a free online resource, this is your go–to guide to the fascinating world of phonetics!
- Start with Phonetics 101 understand the basics of speech, fixed and movable articulators, and speech sound classifications
- Meet your "secret code" find out how to use the IPA to transcribe speech
- Get a primer on speech acoustics explore the fundamental frequency of phonation, harmonics, and formant frequencies
- Delve into practical transcribing situations become familiar with how to transcribe accents, dialects, children′s speech, and disordered speech
- Learn the real–world applications of phonetics discover the role phonetics plays in speech language pathology, audiology, language teaching, forensics, telecommunications, acting, voice coaching, and more
Open the book and find:
- The fundamentals of phonetics and phonology
- How speech is produced
- Tips on reading a sound spectrogram
- How to understand the melody of language
- Ways to transcribe emotion in speech
- How to avoid ten common mistakes beginner transcribers make
- Practical experience transcribing vowels, consonants, and phonological processes with the online resource
About the Author
William F. Katz, PhD, is Professor of Communication Sciences and Disorders in the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences at the University of Texas at Dallas, where he teaches and directs research in linguistics, speech science, and language disorders. He has pioneered new treatments for speech loss after stroke, and he studies an unusual disorder known as "foreign accent syndrome."
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Look for similar items by category