on 1 November 2014
A strong follow up to Empire under Siege. Picking up where it left off, it is almost the mirror image of the first, starting with the consequences of decisions made in the first book and ending with an adrenaline filled second half. The characters develop more, and I especially enjoyed the way that all of the key players started to come together. So far the Adarna Chronicles has not disappointed and I'm looking forward to the next book.
on 15 August 2014
Jason, I loved this second instalment! Only wished it was longer as now I have no excuse not to go to sleep. The characters are so well drawn and the fight scenes are awesome. Can't wait for the next one!
on 14 August 2014
The second instalment in the Adarna chronicles continues with the same verve as the first. Gods appear in bars, fleetingly. A corrupt emperor calls for a return to the "old ways" and decimates one of his legions for cowardice and our protagonists get into their fair share of trouble. Like the first, it finishes on a cliff hanger but this is not an issue it just makes me want to buy the next book. The characters are fun and their reactions are believable. A pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.
on 1 September 2014
If you’ve read the first book in this series (Empire Under Siege), then you will love this novella. If you haven’t read the first book in the series…well, go read it and then come back and buy this one. I almost think it is better than the first, which is saying a lot because I absolutely loved the first one.
Here’s as much of the plot as I can tell you without spoiling the story:

Released from solitary confinement, Conlan is promoted to Legion Father by the man he believes is responsible for the genocide of the Twelfth Legion – General Martius. But he soon learns that all is not as it seems in court life. Many men are loyal to the power-hungry young Emperor, but Martius is not one of them. He, having been forced by the Emperor to order the deaths of 51 innocent men, is no longer loyal. He patiently waits for a day when, perhaps, a Republic may reign. This has earned him enemies – of this he is well aware. But what he doesn’t know is that, by imprisoning a strange man found upon the battle field, he has brought even more enemies upon himself…and his beloved family.

Of course there is much more to this book than what I just described above. In his usual clever way, the author tells each chapter from the perspective of a different character. This leads to an almost puzzle-like effect, making for a very engaging read. The author goes deep into the lives of each character, giving them each a very unique and wonderful personality. It’s been a long time since I’ve read a book that has made me feel for the characters the way this novella did. The writing is so well done that I found myself cheering them on and worrying about what might happen to them. I’m very excited to see what becomes of them in the 3rd installment.
I’m giving it 5 stars because Amazon won’t let me go any higher than that. This book has everything. Action packed (without being gory or obscene)? Check. Cheer-worthy characters? Yep. Amazing writing? Got it. Incredible plotline? Of course! If you read this book, you simply can’t miss. So what are you waiting for? Start reading!
on 2 November 2014
The second half of this story is even better than the first, a real page turner which focuses on the politics behind the empire. Great stuff!!