VINE VOICEon 23 March 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although looks are not really that important in irons this iron is navy and white and looks sleek and elegant. It is true that the whole unit is larger than a normal iron but I don't think there is that much difference for storage purposes. There is an easy to operate button lock to hold iron firmly in the unit for carrying purposes. The large water reservoir can hold 2.2 litres more than enough for my ironing needs and I would think it would cope with much larger needs than mine. The unit itself has 3 buttons with lights.
1. On/Off
2.Eco which can save energy
3. Easy Decalc which indicates when descaling is required. There is an Easy Decalc knob which makes descaling easy.
The iron is very light and the soleplate glides easily and smoothly over the clothes. The button for steam is on the underside of the handle just where your hand rests when ironing, There is no temperature control on the iron because it uses Optimal Temp technology. The technical details escape me all I know is that I ironed wool blends, cotton and cotton blends, and polyester with no adjustments in temperature and great results. Another advantage of this technology is that the iron can be left to rest on the ironing board whilst getting other garments without burning the cover (a bad habit of mine). If the iron is left on for 10minutes without being used there is an automatic switch off.The steam supply hose can be wound round the unit when storing and electric cable is wrapped together and held with velcro.There is a comprehensive instruction manual. I should point out that I did not use the Eco mode as the manual advised that the Optimal Temp Mode gave best results. I have used steam generator irons before and loved them but for me this is the best one I have used. I would heartily recommend it.
I have to admit i was rather sceptical about this iron because of the price, but let me tell you it is worth every single penny.

It has a large 2.2 litre capacity tank which is easily filled, i was expecting a free measuring jug, but there isn't one included unfortunately.

Once filled up and the power button put on, it takes less than 60 seconds to heat up and you are ready to go.

I tried mine with a cotton tea towel, linen trousers, a cotton dress, a chiffon scarf and a silk skirt and against all of my doubts, it ironed them all with ease.

There was no creases left in any of the fabrics, no adjustments to be made, the iron glides over the clothes like butter, i was astounded if im completely honest with you.

Without a doubt the best iron i have ever had !!
44 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 6 April 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've had the chance to try a few steam irons now through the Vine program, and this one comes out tops.

Firstly, appearance wise it's very nice. The colours are nice, and its not extremely heavy, huge or bulky, especially in comparison to my previous steam iron. It's easy to fill with water, it had a very handy pull out de scaler, and you can lock the iron in place. It also has a part to tuck the cord away into, genuis! I've never had a steam iron with this and it's extremely handy and tidy.

The last iron that Amazon Vine sent me was driving me crazy. It was just so loud. The first thing I noticed when using this iron is just how peaceful it is. I can steam away without sending my cat running fearing for her life, or having to turn the TV volume right up. I even once confused my previous iron with our flat buzzer, it was that loud.

One scary function of the iron is you don't, and can't, set the temperature. It does it by itself! Now I didn't quite trust this at first, but somehow, it really works. Because of this, you can even leave the iron flat down on the ironing board and it doesn't even burn it. It also has an automatic switch off which is brilliant. I'm the type who needs this function on my hair straighteners because I'll often forget about them so it's always a welcome feature.

This iron is really easy to use, there is not a multitude of buttons and settings that over complicate things, and the technology of self-adjusting itself is just amazing. I can't recommend this iron enough!
on 30 July 2013
Having used regular irons for years and finding them heavy to use, easily becoming clogged up with scale which creates brown stains on the ironing board as well as your clothes or shiny patches, constantly needing top ups to be able to steam and generally being disappointed with their performance and results, I decided to take the plunge and get a Steam Generator Iron. WOW! why did I wait so long? this is an amazing machine, it took me less than half the time to whiz through the ironing pile, It's stylish in navy and white has a generous length of cable and hose, very easy to fill with a jug, no waiting for the temperature to cool/warm up for different items, steam enough to get out every crease in one hit, as it has 5 bar pressure etc, incredibly light weight and sleek as it has no extra water to worry about in the actual iron part and glides like a dream over all types of cloth. If your thinking of buying this then don't think anymore, just hit order, you won't be disappointed. The only drawback I can see is that it is obviously bulkier than a normal iron so may be tricky to store, but who cares it Fantastic! Philips Perfect Care Aqua Steam Generator Iron, 2400 Watt, Navy
on 14 September 2016
this irons like a dream, However after 2 years we have had problems, the first is that from the start the iron makes load random, loud noises which was a bit annoying, the second is that after a year the handle broken at the point where the steam button is on the handle. contacted phillips but got no reply so have had to rely on repeated gluing, now the iron leeks when ironing which i guess has happens due to the repeated gluing and the steam button sticking, shame as it irons very well and cuts down the chore by half.but the down side
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used a Tefal steam generator before which I loved Tefal Gv8461 Pro Express Autoclean Steam Generator which is cheaper than the Philips with more control over temperature setting which I tend to prefer. HOWEVER if you're the type of person who likes the minimal amount of fuss combined with the best results and don't mind forking out your hard earned cash for this, it will do you proud.

Philips have introduced an new type of technology called Optimal TEMP Technology which works on the basis that combines a constant low soleplate temperature with high pressure steam. This effectively means that there is no dial on the iron to adjust the temperature of the soleplate. You can therefore iron fabrics like silk as the soleplate is already at a low temperature followed straight away by cotton or linen with the help of the high pressure steam. The unit is therefore very basic with just an on/off button, a decalc setting and an eco-setting.

If you've never used steam generator irons before they work like this. The main unit houses the water tank (which in this case is non-removable and makes filling it a little difficult if you've got a small sink with a non-movable water spout). When plugged in and switched on, the main unit then is ready in a few minutes to dispense steam. The iron itself if connected to the main unit by a long cord through which the steam passes and can get quite warm (although safely so). I found that when every so often when using the iron, it would make a surprisingly loud buzzing sound similar to that of my coffee machine.

My annoyances...
While using this iron I found it annoying that due to it's design there is no 'heel' for you to rest the iron itself on your ironing board so must be put back on the main unit. Although it was handy not have to have to change temperatures in ironing all of my clothes I think I've got used to changing the temperature dial so was a bit disoriented. Considering this is a 5 bar pressure steam generator, even using the turbo function didn't expel as much steam as I expected and was only a little more than my £30 8 year old iron. So don't expect to be able to steam your clothes on a coat hanger on the door/wall unlike the Tefal which is cheaper. The last thing which I feel is applicable to all steam generators is you need a really sturdy surface to rest the main unit on so the normal metal end of a standard iron may struggle with it's weight.

overall 4 stars for ease of use and large water tank capacity. However it's still very expensive, doesn't expel as much steam as the Tefal I've used so can't steam clothes on a hanger and is annoying if you're used to resting the iron on it's heel.
VINE VOICEon 16 May 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having used two previous Tefal irons and being impressed by them, along came this Philips Perfect Care Aqua Steam Generator Iron and probably obliterated the competition.

I'm a guy, so ironing isn't my most favoured chore and this iron has made it even easier than before. It's a fairly large unit with a massive 2.2 litre water tank - great for the mountains of ironing I have to do, but the iron itself is light and simply glides over garments with ease. It's most impressive feature, is the new Optimal TEMP Technology, which chooses the correct temperature for each garment. I have absolutely no idea how this could possibly work and was a little apprehensive using this iron on more expensive garments, but can happily say it works fantastic! All of my garments iron perfectly. The cables wrap around the base of the unit for easy storage and the iron has been fine enduring hard water.

It is an expensive iron, but anything that makes life easier for me is money well spent.

Highly recommended!
on 25 September 2016
Purchased this iron in 2014 the best iron I have had. The lead is still covered, ones I have had before where they got hot the fabric came away showing the pipes for hot water.
Its great knowing it wont burn the material even if left directly on the fabric, No settings it's all done automatic from silk to denim fantastic.Very easy to clean. Makes light work of all the ironing.
And after 2 years still going strong, 5 stars all the way highly reccommended This is an honest opinion and not given to me cheaper to write any reviews.
VINE VOICEon 28 March 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a lovely new iron from Philips....I had already been using a Philips Steam Generating iron and just felt the need for an upgrade....This is a good upgrade...
It has an perfect care system which means that you don't reset the iron for different does it itself....I know unbelievable...BUT BELIEVE!! Its because it just uses steam to iron I think????.....

1. It looks good
2. It takes up less space on my ironing board compared to my last one.
3. It has a huge you don't have to refill often....
4. It easy to descale with its pull out descaling bit!
5. It sets itself!! I know I didn't believe it either BUT it works!
6. It locks onto the plate so you can't knock it off accidentally,

1. Like all steam generating irons its think about that.
2. I found the perfect care idea scary....don't it works
3. It doesn't come with a jug to refill it... a small but obvious oversight I think....

Overall, a great buy...easy to set up and the perfect care system works!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ok, no one likes ironing, and if I could get away with it, I never would ... BUT ... to have something that is super easy to use, is powerful, and breezes through the chore of ironing in a fraction of the time has to be a good thing.

The unit as a whole is fairly heavy, especially when full of water, but the iron itself is nice and light.

There is steam a plenty if you want it ... either as a spurt, or on continuous mode, and with 2+L of water to play with, my desire to do ironing wanes well before the tank runs dry.

There are the usual safety features, i.e., the iron will switch itself off if you leave it for a spell.

The hose is about 5 ft long, and that is OK for most things ... it was a little awkward using it in vertical mode on some curtains, but it was fine on a couple of suits.

Not having to change the temp is a boon, but it takes a little getting used to. My wife made sure that she tried it out on some older clothes first, before trying it on her favourite clothes.

Good bit of kit, I still don't like ironing, but at least I can get it over and done with in a jiffy.