on 29 November 2012
This is my first review on Amazon (or anywhere, for that matter!) So here goes.....This little 'pocket sized' shaver is absolutely fantastic! I bought it for my eldest son, who is disabled. He has never been able to give himself a wet shave, so I've been doing it for him since he was 16 (he's now 20) For the last year this has really annoyed him as he wanted more independence to do things himself. I was scared to let him try wet shaving, for obvious reasons, so I started to think about getting him an electric shaver. Everyone I spoke to said not to bother because he would not get a close shave.
So, anyway, I thought I'd buy a cheap one first to test it out and to see whether he could actually manage.
Well, to say that I have been converted is an understatement! He has been shaving himself for a week now (which he loves!) It is so easy for him to use and the closeness of the shave is as good as I ever got with a wet shave!......Needless to say, I'm sticking with this 'cheap one' It really does the job well.
On asking my Dan what he thought of his shaver, his reply was to give it two thumbs up.......must be good then!!!
22 comments| 188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2012
For those who expect results but do not require grandeur, this is the shaving machine. Smooth running, little noise, close shave, no bruises, no hassles. You can take it anywhere and always look your best, even at home - I've been using nothing but Philips travel shavers for the past 15 years, and all I can say is that they keep getting better.
on 17 October 2012
I have been using a Phillips Coolskin shaver for about 3 years but one of the tubes that delivers the gel has broken. It still works from just one but I needed a replacement before it breaks completely. I saw the reviews on this Micro shaver and decided to give it a go. I am not over heavily bristled and this does the job as well as its three headed predecessor. I am not sure whether I will use disposable or rechargeable batteries yet as I will see how long they last. Also comes with a cover for the blades and a lovely little protective case and cleaning brush. This shaver is a lot sturdier than I anticipated. I have also purchased some pre shave gel to manually apply before use which is not much different to having it dispensed from the coolskin. Great quality shaver and amazing value, recommended.
on 7 June 2014
this is an impressive shaver! gives a fantastic shave and is small, sleek and portable. i wanted a shaver for upcoming hospital stays so had to be battery operated and be small. this fits the bill perfectly but the best bit is that it comes with a totally enclosing zip up cover! so when you've finished you can just zip it up and put it in your bag. great! quite simply battery shaving doesnt get any more convenient than this shaver!
on 6 October 2012
this is my first dry shave machine which surprisingly is quite good, very close shaved, convenience and easy to pack during the weekend away or a couple weeks abroad, highly recommended!!!
on 17 February 2015
Acceptable as a travel shaver but I would not recommend for everyday use. I thoroughly charged a set of high density AA batteries and yet this ergonomic little shaver still feels really lacking in power. On a positive note you can obtain a decent shave, but you spend more time doing it and cover the same facial areas several times.
Travel case is very useful though and completely protects this little Philips from knocks and bumps - so perfect for packing in a suitcase.
One star for a great price, one for the fact that it does (just) work, and one more for a hard case = 3 STARS IN TOTAL.
on 12 November 2012
In the past I have had an earlier model of the razor maybe ten or twelve years and it was excellent, but then a couple of years ago I bought Remmington for some reason. A poor decision so needing a new small shaver I went back to the Philips and I am very pleased with it. Still using the batteries provided so I don't know how long rechargeables will last in the shaver, but the quality of the shave is very smooth and very comfortable. Very happy with my purchase and good value.
on 16 June 2014
Good price well packaged and deliverd quickly. Complete with batteries so good to go.
Have to say my heart sank a little when I saw the size of it BUT then I thought about why I wanted a battery powered razor and I realise it'll fit in the pocket/small bag v nicely with no problems. No lead to worry about. and AA batteries are available everywhere.
Pay attention here's the science bit. I wanted rotary heads because.... I've had a dunno what you call it - a straight across foil (?) before and (this will probably sound mad but hey whadoicare) I reckon the cutting blades in the middle of the foil were out more than the blades at the ends, and there's no way to replace just the bit in the middle. However, with a rotary head the because the rotary blades are always revolving they wear more evenly.
It's just a thought.
All that aside the unit is v stylish.
Fits comfortable and snugly in the hand.
seems well made.
theres no 'pop-up' trimmer - what do you for the price. and beside it's not for my main shave every day, but jsut a top up dave before meetings etc. Having said that I have used it on a two day growth and it did admirably.
The astounding thing for me is that when you switch it on it's really quiet and I thought 'Were gonna need a bigger razor' but it was ggreat. No usual electric razor burn quietsmall enough to get in to the contours and close. You do have to cover the ground repeatedly on the tougher stuble but it did it.
How ling the batteries will last of hte blades will stay sharp I don't know. Ive only had it a couple of weeks . but I'm really impressed.
ACID TEST: would I buy iy again. DEFINITELY.
on 7 June 2014
Excellent value for money. Works well. The shaving heads are the 'close cut' type, and don't feature the lift-and-cut blades on the posher models. There's a lovely pouch supplied, but there's no room inside it for the cleaning brush. (Idea: leave a space for the cleaning brush inside the battery compartment.)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 October 2015
Excellent little shaver, handy size too - just right for travelling (or keep in the car so you can give yourself a quick spruce up before an important meeting). Battery life is good, but I'll probably get some rechargeable batteries soon as I'm using it more than originally planned - I bought it as a back-up shaver to use when I didn't have time for a good wet shave, but I'm using it more and more during the working week when I'm short of time e.g. I can shave in the office, if necessary.

I haven't compared it against the more advanced Philips shavers but, subjectively, it doesn't feel as powerful as the mains-powered shaver I had many years ago. It probably takes longer to shave to the same standard as its bigger stablemates, but it can do a presentable shave in a very short time - this wouldn't pass muster under a close inspection as it doesn't achieve the closeness of a good wet shave, but it's certainly good enough for everyday use.

I also bought another of these shavers recently for my elderly father as he's finding it difficult to cope with a wet shave and he's very happy with his new shaver too. Recommended!