VINE VOICEon 31 July 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Given that Philips Imageo LED Rechargeable Candle Lights, White have gathered nearly 1000 reviews at almost five stars, you may be thinking that these dinkier versions are just as good. Think again.

The concept is smart. Glowing pots that replicate ambient candle light but without the inherent living flame danger so perfectly safe to be left unattended and around children and pets and cool on a shelf or outside on a summer's evening. They'll also easily last all night long and a bit more on a single charge or you can give them a turn and they'll turn off for another time.

So what's the problem?

Whilst comparable in price, at time of reviewing, these are a pale and shoddy imitation of the full size version mentioned above, of which this reviewer has several as they are fantastic and equally make great house warming presents. And you get three pots rather than just the two here.

For starters these feel and look cheap. Gone is the frosted glass to be replaced by plastic and gone is the base charger to be replaced by a plug and two cables. Now you cannot tell when they are charged and you are left with charge socket clearly visible on the side. If they are on a table it's visible, though it may be hidden against a wall or shelf, but still. Completely spoils the illusion.

They wouldn't be out of place in a pound shop. No kidding. Go compare the two versions if in doubt. So for the money and by comparison with the other version, these are woeful value. Think why would you buy these over the others? Do not waste your money.

The only possible bonus for these is being plastic they are a little safer and bounceable if used outside. But then would you favour say plastic wine glasses for indoors? Thought not.

Considering you can get so much more quality, and another candle, for a few pennies more, stick with Philips lights, but avoid these horrible little things.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Already having Philips Imageo LED Rechargeable Candle Lights, White which are coming on for nearly eighteen months old, and which there have been no problems with I was looking forward to getting this pack of two tea lights to use as well.

Unlike with the other set this doesn't have a charging base, instead you have an inset plug near the base of these, and these are then connected to the charger plug, which means there is no indication when these are fully charged. Charging these up for the same amount of time as the other set we were disappointed to find that these didn't seem to work. As the batteries were flat when they arrived I thought perhaps a twenty four hour charge would resolve the issue, but alas no. We all know that you can get dodgy batteries from time to time, but to actually have two sets in one box is really a bit too much.

So what I have here are two tea light candles that work okay on 'pass through' i.e. if they are connected to the mains. After a lot of experimenting I did find I could eventually have these unplugged from the charger, but only if I turned on the candles and then unplugged the leads. Even after this though, one of the rocker switches in one of the candles is a bit dodgy, and does take some playing with to get the candle to stay on. This is only of course my experience, and others have had no problems, but beware in that you may have to return the product due to faulty batteries for an exchange, which is a bit of a pain. In all, if you get a product that is working properly then this is a four star item, but if you get a dodgy one, then you will have to sort out an exchange. I would say if this is working well it is a three or four star item because it isn't as good as the original candles that Philips make, where the holder is actually made of glass, and not plastic, and the lights flicker, because with this set they seem to pulse rather than flicker.
on 26 March 2016
Having read the various comments by reviewers I was wondering to which Philips product they were referring to. However, I am very pleased with my purchase.The light is not bright but delivers a soft yellow-orange glow that one would expect from a real tea light. I also like the gentle flicker of the light too. As the product description states "These candles provide a soft, warm candle light effect with a gentle flicker. Perfect for creating a touch of ambience in your interior". They certainly do that, so I have ordered another twin pack of the Philips 70076/31/PU Plastic Rechargeable Flameless Flickering LED Tea Light Candle Set - 6cm Tall, White.
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sometimes I can hardly believe how lucky I am to have the chance to review products for Vine and this is one such occasion.

I love these little lights. I absolutely love them. They are so easy to use, so effective, so pretty and relaxing, so safe, just perfect.

All you have to do is charge the lights for a couple of hours (you can charge them together because the charger is double-headed) then simply tilt them to turn them on. They look like tea lights burning in plastic holders, the 'flame' actually grows brighter and darker. They're incredibly lovely to have on the windowledge when you're in the bath, or to put outside on the patio for a bit of ambience without the faff of real candles.

Once charged they 'burn' for ten hours, but if you want to turn them off, simply tilt again.

I can't tell you how much I love these. I really hope I get some more for my birthday.
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've just thrown away around 12 of the frosted glass electric candles in Philips's Imageo line. The batteries lasted for about two years and then lost power; I couldn't find any way of replacing the battery units so I ended up throwing them away (taking care to recycle the glass) and buying more glass Imageo candles. Presumably the battery life will be the downside of these new plastic candles but, hopefully, they will last longer.

While the plastic constitution of the candles makes them less luxurious, on first sight, in comparison to the glass Imageo candles, the use of plastic makes the candles safer because they cannot be smashed by accident and that's a good thing. I couldn't tell the difference anyway as they look just as good as the glass version. My partner and I also thought the flicker effect looked better and more realistic too than with the glass Imageo candles. We give the candles a big thumbs up.

The candles have to be plugged into a charger and the holes for the cables detract from the look of the candle but in most instances they will be placed so people can't see the sockets. I have collected a few Imageo chargers and it would have been good to be able to use them for these candles too. The price seems to be similar or more expensive than the glass Imageo candles (which can be bought in multiples of 3) while perceived value is less. However, I would be happy to buy more of the plastic candles if they were available in multi packs for a better price and with a single multi charger. These are really excellent substitutes for real (but risky) wax candles. Highly recommended
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These do a great job and look fairly similar to a real tealight when fully charged. They are a little cheap-looking (nothing more than a small, frosted plastic cup--the sort you buy from the poundland!) with a candle bulb in the bottom. That said, they look nice when the lights are dimmed and the "flame" is flickering (as I say, the effect is very convincing).

Unlike the other model, there is no dock, you have to plug a lead into the base to charge them. They take 10 hours to charge, and last for the the same (10 hours). Unlike another reviewer, I had no problems getting them to work properly.

They look very nice beside the bed at night-time. With these on and my radio playing softly I'm drifting away having nice peaceful candlelit dreams in no time :) I think if they had a dock and if they had a sleep function (switch themselves off automatically like a radio does, to save battery) they would be perfect.
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am so surprised that these tea lights have such a realistic flame.

I have put them inside burgundy glass holders with a small gold pattern and the result is perfect. I had read other reviews that said the plastic holders looked cheap - well I've solved that problem!

In the past, I have had those little individual battery operated tea lights which weren't convincing in the least; these however are great.

I am using them to great effect on my mantelpiece.
VINE VOICEon 31 July 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These are quite nifty for a couple of tea lights. Switch them on and off by tilting the tea light, you feel the rocker switch working. The rechargeable lights come with a mains adapter.

They give off a warm glow and gently flicker like a real flame. I'm very pleased with my purchase.
on 22 November 2014
Got these on sale and paid £10.60 rather than the £7.38 they are sold for now.

I agree with other reviewers who say that they don't look very impressive and I certainly would never use them as a centre piece but for tucking into a corner or on a bookshelf to provide mood lighting, they're perfect.

Because they're so small and use so little electricity we actually mainly use them as night lights! I prefer these to the plug-in nightlights one can buy because they can be placed as required and aren't tied to a mains socket.

At this price, they're great just don't expect something amazing and I definitely would never have paid the £24 they used to retail for.
on 22 August 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These Imageo lights might not be the most accurate replacement for a tea light in colour, but they're fun to use and convenient. There's a fancier version with wireless charging and a glass holder available which looks worth considering - depending on the prices of the different models, which are fluctuating wildly as I write this - but I'm quite fond of these.

The one let-down of the lights is their colour, which is an orange shade more like firelight than candle-light. (The Amazon video for the "Philips Imageo LED Rechargeable Candle Lights, White" gives a good illustration.) They're also quite dim, especially compared to a real tea-light. Despite this, the flickering effect is convincing, changing randomly enough not to look electronic, but not so quickly as to be distracting. Although they're made of plastic they're robust and nice to look at, doing a good impression of a frosted glass cup. They're best used as decoration or as a night light rather than actual room lighting as you would with a candle, but they make for a nice ambience during a twilight dinner.

Aside from the inconvenience of plugging them in to charge - something you don't have to deal with in the more expensive model - they're really easy to use. You can wander around with them in the house at night when you don't fancy putting the bathroom or landing light on. Turning them on and off with a quick shake or tilt is a cute touch and really beats trying to find a switch.

The battery lasts the best part of a week if you're using it for an hour or two a night. I'd say that Philips' rated ten hours is accurate. They've got built-in nickel metal hydride batteries, which as far as I can tell are of the ordinary and not low-self-discharge type. This means that they will lose some charge over time when not in use; however in my experience they'll go for at least five hours after a week of sitting idle. It also means that they're slow to charge - ten hours - but these batteries will stay healthy a fair bit longer than faster-charging batteries like lithium-ion.

Setting aside the fact that there's a superior version of these for just a few quid more, they're really nice. Recommended.

I have a slight issue that, every now and then, the candles simply won't charge. There's no way of telling whether the candles are actually charging except to leave them plugged in for several hours and see if they've picked up any power. I'm currently experimenting to see what the problem is - I suspect you have to have the candles connected to the charger before you plug it in - but it's a slow and tedious process.
review image