on 5 April 2017
As expected
on 9 May 2017
Excellent service, great product that work and look good, thoroughly recommend with good after sales service and will definitely use again
on 12 October 2009
Energy saving bulbs have three major advantages over traditional filament bulbs: they only use about 18% of the electricity, they have a longer life typically 5X, and, because they don't get so hot and use less current, they put less strain on your electrical fittings.

To date though I have found energy saving light bulbs to be poor, especially the bargain basement varieties: slow to reach full brightness, harsh light, unreliable, fragile (relevant when used in a hand lamp), noticeable light fall off during life (5k to 10k hrs total claimed), not compatible with dimmers (none are).

So it seemed a good idea to give the Phillips 18W Energy Saver type a try. The pack of 5 arrived from Amazon exactly 36 hours after ordering. The bulbs are shorter than most, they reach full brightness relatively quickly, and they give a pleasing light, quite similar to the traditional filament bulbs.

So far so good, be interesting to see how well they last!

UPDATE 06 Jan 2011
These bulbs have performed as hoped above- Recommended

UPDATE 17 Feb 2017
All of the original order of bulbs are still performing well. I have just ordered another 10 for a new house
on 3 December 2011
These are fairly good value for money. But the 10 years life expectency is rubbish. I fitted about 15 of these in my home a couple of years ago and three have already burnt out!!
on 7 February 2014
We bought these as we have used similar bulbs before and I thought it was time we stopped throwing money away as we have been using 100 watt bulbs throughout the house. We have kept a couple of the 100W bulbs in areas where we tend to need the light quickly and only for a short time but we find these Philips 18W ones warm up quite fast anyhow, the only problem we have now is what to do with all the money we save !
on 26 February 2011
These lamps arrived within 2 days and are very good. They heat up quickly without the long delay that some lamps have - but they are NOT instant.
on 4 January 2016
A number of sellers on Amazon are claiming that these bulbs give a brightness equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent bulb. They do not! Philips clearly show on the packaging that they are equivalent to 85 watts. If 85 watts is adequate for your needs, then buy them, but I do wonder why Amazon are allowing these misleading descriptions. I was hoping to attach photo's of the packaging but cannot find a way of doing so.
on 27 August 2013
I bought Philips Genie 18w bulb from John Lewis 2 years ago, Loved the soft white light, but it burnt out. If you're looking for soft white light today undoubtedly its the right choice but under description it say it has 10000 hours life that is equal to 1.2 years of non stop usage, I think I left it on at-least 18 hours a day & have used all 10000 hours and I'm going to buy similar one again.
on 28 December 2011
My lounge lighting from three old 'bulb' type energy saving lamps was so bad that I had to supplement it with a reading lamp. I bought a pack of 5 Philips 18W Energy-Saving Bulbs and lo and behold, I was able to dispense with the reading lamp and now enjoy lighting as good as an old 150w filament bulb or possibly better! The delivery was prompt, the price was right and I now have two spares.
on 23 November 2014
Had a few of these over the years. No way they last 10 years, 3 if you're lucky.