- See the top-rated IPL hair removal systems in our IPL hair removal reviews.
Philips Lumea Compact SC1981/00 IPL Hair Removal System
- Around 88,000 UK women staying hair-free with Lumea
- Effective: Up to 75 per cent reduction in hair regrowth in just eight weeks
- Fast: Slide and flash mode for efficient treatment of large areas such as legs
- Convenient: Salon IPL technology for home use - corded, no lamps, gels or accessories needed
- Versatile: For face, legs, arms, bikini area and underarms; five settings - for almost all skin tones and hair colours
There is a newer version of this item:
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you've entered a valid question. You can edit your question or post anyway.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Legal DisclaimerUnless expressly indicated in the product description, Amazon.co.uk is not the manufacturer of the products sold on our website. While we work to ensure that product information on our website is correct, manufacturers may alter their product information. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than shown on our website. If you have any specific product queries, please contact the manufacturer. This notice does not affect your legal rights. For medicinal products, content on our website is not intended to be used to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition or to substitute advice given by medical practitioners, pharmacists or other licensed health care professionals. You should contact your health care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. You should always read the labels, warnings and instructions provided with the product before using or consuming it and not solely rely on the information presented on our website.
Philips Lumea Compact SC1981/00 IPL Hair Removal System For Face and Body
Enjoy The Freedom of Hair Free Skin Every Day
Enjoy smooth skin with lasting effectsClick here to view a larger version
Lumea compact is the smallest, lightest model in the Lumea range. It's ideal for long lasting hair removal for bikini line, underarms and legs and is safe enough for use on the face too. It has two modes of action, Step and Flash mode for curvy areas or Slide and Flash mode for continuous treatment over larger areas. Lumea offers a lasting solution to hair removal, so you don't need to shave every day or have expensive trips to the salon for a wax. Lumea compact has five intensity levels, so you can tailor your treatment to suit your skin and hair colour and a built in skin colour sensor. It's corded so it's always ready to use. With the backing of 12 years' experience in IPL technology, you can trust Philips Lumea to give you smooth hair free skin with lasting results.
Application areas and treatment time.Click here to view a larger version
Philips clinical studies have shown significant hair reduction in as little as two fortnightly treatments, with optimal hair-free results achieved after four to five fortnightly treatments**. To maintain these results, simply repeat treatment every four to six weeks. Time between treatments may vary based on your individual hair regrowth.
Application Areas and Treatment Tme
Use with confidence to remove hair on all face and body including chin, sideboards, upper lip, legs, underarm, bikini area, stomach and arms.
- Underarms: 1.5 min per side
- Bikini line: 1.5 min per side
- One lower leg: 11 min
- Facial area: 2.5 min
Philips Lumea uses a light-based technology called IPL (Intense Pulsed Light), derived from the technology used in professional beauty salons. Philips has adapted this technology for safe and effective use in the comfort of your own home. Philips worked closely with skin care experts to develop this technology, carrying out extensive consumer research on IPL technology with over 2000 women.
Step and Flash Mode
Step and Flash mode guarantees precise treatment of contoured areas e.g. the knees or ankles and helps with detailed treatment. Press Flash then release, move Lumea to next area and repeat. Make sure that the skin contact surface is fully pressed onto the skin.
Slide and Flash Mode
Slide and Flash mode is especially convenient for treating larger areas like the legs. Keep the flash button pressed. The appliance releases one flash after another as long as the skin contact surface is in full contact with the skin. After each flash, slide the appliance to the next area, with smooth even pressure.
Five Light Energy Settings
Philips Lumea has five adjustable light energy settings to ensure gentle but effective treatment. Used correctly, Philips Lumea's IPL treatment is safe to use even on sensitive skin and body areas.
Skin Colour Sensor
The skin colour sensor measure the treated skin complexion at the beginning of each session and occasionally during the session. If it detects a skin tone that is too dark for Lumea compact, it will automatically stop emitting pulses.
Lumea's corded design is ideal for treating the areas you want, when you want. Philips Lumea is a complete solution that comes ready to work right out of the box. More importantly, it does not require any replacement lamps or gels.
How Does Philips Lumea Prevent Hair Growth?
Five steps to lasting smoothness.Click here to view a larger version
Determine which light intensities are most suitable for your skin and body hair colour.Click here to view a larger version
Gentle pulses of light are applied directly to the hair. The melanin in the hair and hair root absorbs the light pulses. This process results in the follicle going into a resting phase. The hair sheds naturally and regrowth is inhibited. A simple and gentle treatment once every two to four weeks will prevent hair roots from becoming active again and prevent new hair from growing back.
Five Steps To Lasting Smoothness
1. Pre-shave the treatment area to ensure the light energy is channeled in the most efficient way to the follicle. This is only required for the first few treatments.
2. Consult the skin and hair type matrix and select the light intensity suitable for your skin tone and body hair colour.
3. Apply gentle pulses of light to the hair. The light produces heat in the hair, which is transferred to the hair follicle. This stimulates the hair follicle to go into a resting phase.
4. As a consequence, the hair sheds naturally and hair regrowth is inhibited.
5. To prevent hairs from growing back, the treatment must be repeated every two weeks (or every month for legs) which will progressively reduce hair regrowth to a minimum.
Is Lumea Right For Me?
Philips Lumea works effectively on naturally dark blonde, brown and black hairs. As with other light-based treatments, Philips Lumea is not effective on red, light-blonde or white/grey hair. Philips Lumea is also not suitable for very dark skin. Please consult the comparison table to determine which light intensities are most suitable for your skin and body hair colour and to check if this method is suitable for you at all (if it is not, this is indicated with an x ).
Which Philips Lumea Is Right For Me?
Philips Lumea Compact SC1981/00
Philips Lumea Essential SC1991/00
Philips Lumea SC2004/00
Philips Lumea Precision Plus SC2006/00
|Step and Flash: For individual placement treatment and for curvy areas||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Slide and Flash: For smooth, speedy application||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Recharge time||n/a||n/a||100 mins||100 mins|
|Running time||n/a||n/a||370 flashes||370 flashes|
|Application window||2.7 cm window||4 cm window||4 cm window||4 cm body + 2 cm facial attachment|
|Speed of each treatment|
|Face||2.5 minutes||n/a||n/a||1 minute|
|One underarm||1.5 minute||1 minute||1 minute||1 minute|
|Entire bikini area||5 minutes||4 minutes||4 minutes||4 minutes|
|One lower leg||11 minutes||8 minutes||8 minutes||8 minutes|
|One full leg||20 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes||15 minutes|
*Based on sales data less returns since launch till 2nd October 2014
**Based on Philips Facebook survey results of 200 consumers asked average cost of salon waxing Feb 2014***Simply repeat treatment as necessary to prevent re-growth.
Brand new in manufacturer's original package. Comes with an EU 2-pin power plug. A permanent, screwed-in UK 3-pin plug adapter from www.powerconnections.co.uk is included.See all Product description
Customers also shopped for
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Pictures included show my legs and armpits as they are currently - this is 6 days after shaving, and about a month after my latest Lumea treatment. I still shave to take care of the few hairs that are left behind, but I don't do this as often, and my skin looks and feels wayyy smoother than it would through shaving alone.
+ painless to use
+ actually hair-free skin
+ results that last a long time, longer than waxing
- each treatment takes significant time to do thoroughly, about twice as long as the product claims: it takes me 60-90 minutes to do both legs
- from reading the other reviews, it sounds like it doesn't reliably work for everybody
When I first got it, I followed the instructions of doing fortnightly sessions for 16 weeks. After that I noticed diminished hair growth but not really gone. Following the instructions I switched to once a month for a while. After three or four months of that I didn't have much regrowth, not enough to make it feel worthwhile doing as often, so I switched down to whenever it seems necessary, which is currently about once every 4 months.
I love it. I've always had problems with other hair removal methods:
* shaving with a razor gives me razor-burn (irritated red and bumpy skin)
* waxing always gives me ingrown hairs and doesn't last long enough to feel worth the effort
* epitalor was incredibly painful and no better results than waxing
* laser hair removal, I tried a tester session and I found it so painful I couldn't bear it (my pain tolerance is quite low).
Before the Lumea I was just using an electric shaver, which is quick and easy and doesn't have any negative side effects, but doesn't leave skin super smooth, and of course regrowth is pretty quick. I still use my shaver before Lumea treatments, and in between to take care of the remaining hairs. When so much of your body hair is gone, the few that are left aren't actually that noticeable.
I have had different amounts of success on different parts of my body.
* legs and bikini line are the best, about 90% hair-free for the months in between regrowth
* belly/chest, upper lip are pretty good, mostly hair free but I treat these areas fairly often still because I want to keep them 100%, luckily this doesn't take too long because it's only a few small areas
* armpits haven't really worked at all for me, maybe 50% less hair but still quite a bit remaining. I don't know if this is because the concave shape of the armpit means it's hard to get close contact with the Lumea, even though I try to make it flat. Update: I've been doing my armpits more frequently recently and it's down to about 40% hair remaining.
If my Lumea broke or I lost it, I would definitely buy another one - but I would probably upgrade to a bigger model. I chose this one initially because it was cheaper and more lightweight. The lightness does make it easier to use, but I think I'd prefer to trade that now for the bigger window on the larger models which would make treatments a quicker.
Overall the long term results are a little bit dissappointing. I have been using it for over 10 months and still have hair especially on the bikini area where i should be seeing the fastest results ( because of the colour contrast of black hair on white skin). I hope that in the next months i see more rigid results but so far it does not look like the hair will dissappear completely. On the upside it hurts a lot less than in the beauty salon and prefer to do it at my own time even if it means taking more time to get the results (hoping the lamp lasts another six months).
Most recent customer reviews