Philips Baby Care SCD489 Deluxe DECT Baby Monitor
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Room Temperature thermometer
- Five lullabies – to soothe baby
- Starry night light
- Parent talkback – two intercom to reassure
- Sound level lights
Customers Also Shopped For
Top Customer Reviews
After having a good moan at this monitor above I thought I'd post a belated update. I tried to get a replacement or refund but the retailer, popcorn uk, (bought it through the Amazon marketplace so Amazon directed me to them) were not very helpful, pushing the problem back to me to take up with Philips. Under consumer law your contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer, as first recourse. As we couldn't function without a monitor while this was sent away for repair, I had to buy another.Read more ›
Now I am looking to purchase an other monitor. It is pretty much a waste.
Both units do have plenty of cable to make them convenient to place in the nursery and bedroom and I have never had problems with interference unless you get the parent unit too close to the child unit which is totally normal.
-It still works after 10 years
-the ONLY monitor to work through the concrete density walls of our house.
-We use the inoffensive lullaby's when our baby wakes up and during feeding - five to choose from (but yes, the tunes don't last long but it's not a tinny noise.
-The monitor has a noise gauge so you hear baby cry but not every sniffle or turn which suits.
- The temp gauge shows clearly on the parent unit
-The night light is very faint so this is the only drawback
We like it and we've returned the other all singing, dancing video monitor ones because they didn't match this for range even withIN the house.
However, I have this one now and these are my plus points which merit the 5 star rating I have given it:
* The parent unit is slinky and small which I can fit into my pocket!
* I read about the belt clip breaking off, ours is still firmly intact
* The coverage in our 1930's house is brilliant and I was worried about what I'd read about not getting a good signal especially as our house has breezeblock seperating walls. But can't complain at all. Even when I have my mobile next to the monitor, it doesn't come through at all. So there is no hiss or static noise at all.
* We haven't had a problem with the range coverage at all, I spent the summer in the garden whilst baby slept upstairs at the front of the house.
* Brilliant for travelling with, nice compact units with no silly aerials to worry about damaging.
* Display covers what I wanted to see - temperature, & if night light is on (although night light is not as bright as it was on the Tomy).
* Talk facility although we don't use this but helpful as intercom to husband!
* I didn't have lullaby feature before and I think this is a plus, especially as I can use this from parent unit. I use this all the time as part of babys bedtime / naptime routine.
* The features you can choose through the menu include sensitivity so you can set how sensitive you want the microphone to be. The lower it is, the more likely you will have the following: unit is completely silent, baby stirs, click! You will hear whatever is happening for period of time before goes silent again.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
We bought this product over 3 years ago for our first child and its been completely reliable. We have a large 3 storey house and the monitor works in every part of the home. Read morePublished on 28 Oct. 2009 by Amazon Customer
Have to agree with the general message here - this is a good monitor while it lasts, but in my experience that isn't very long. Read morePublished on 30 Sept. 2008 by R. Winchester
the monitor itself works well with good battery power.
you can set it so you don't here every grunt and shuffle (babies can sound as loud as a herd of animals when the... Read more
We bought this product just over a year ago and have never been happy with the battery performance. Even on the product advice, it states that you should never have the monitor on... Read morePublished on 4 April 2008 by L. Stansfield
The Parents unit is simple not loud enough. Even at home you can barely hear your baby.so there is no way you could take it somewhere noisy!Published on 25 Feb. 2008 by S. Schusser
We've had this product for over a year and a half and absolutely no complaints so far. yes, battery does get weaker with time but that's true for most rechargeable things these... Read morePublished on 2 Jan. 2008 by smarkula