2,139

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 April 2014
I purchased this product despite having had some previous scepticism regarding these protein shakes.

My primary reason for finally purchasing was as a weight loss 'companion'. I am not using Phd to try and reduce my calories, but as a nutritional supplement/meal replacement, given that when you are trying to lose weight on a controlled calorie diet, it can be difficult to consume the amount of protein that you need. I use 'myfitnesspal' to count calories and to provide me with guidelines as to the amount of carbs, fat, protein which I should be consuming each day. Thanks to Phd, I am finally meeting my 'target' where protein is concerned.

My first shake I consumed with water. Big mistake (one that almost put me off having any more shakes!), it is much MUCH tastier when taken with skimmed milk (or, soy milk, possibly). With water alone I found the taste unpleasant.

For my first order, I chose the vanilla creme - a good call. I have since tried a few other flavours and below is my personal assessment of them:

1) Vanilla creme - 9/10 - the best so far - tastes like vanilla custard, or vanilla cheesecake in my husband's opinion.
2) Strawberry - 8/10 - another good one and revives childhood memories of strawberry angel delight!
3) Belgian chocolate - 5/10 - something of a disappointment, the flavour is bland, not very chocolatey and not as good as the above two flavours, in my opinion. It also appears more difficult to mix - lumps occur more frequently. I wouldn't purchase this particular flavour again.

I have yet to try the white choc and choc orange flavours.

It has to be said that ALL flavours taste sweet, having plenty of sweetener added. I notice that where negative feedback on this product is left, the majority is from those who apparently do not have a sweet tooth. If this is you then perhaps you may wish to look for unsweetened alternatives.

Others have left negative feedback claiming that the shakes are too gritty, that it is 'like drinking sand', etc. I personally have not found this to be the case, but then again I have been in the habit of giving my shakes 10 mins or so to 'settle' after mixing, before I drink them. I am convinced that this results in a thicker, smoother shake than would otherwise be the case. However, for those who can only tolerate shakes with a perfectly smooth consistency, it may be wise to bypass this particular product, as no matter how vigorous the shaking or prolonged the settling time, some small particles will remain.

The total calories of a two scoop shake with 300ml skimmed milk (I like my shakes slightly thicker than the recommended 350mls) is still only 287kcals - based on the vanilla creme.

As I said above - I use Phd as a meal replacement (for lunch), as opposed to having e.g. sandwich/salad/soup - which by and large would be approximately the same calories. The advantage (aside from the nutritional values) which Phd has over soup or sandwiches, is that it is slow to metabolise. To my surprise, this one shake keeps me going until teatime - I have no hunger or lack of energy with it ... which I could not have said in respect of any of the generic 'meal replacement' shakes on the market.

In terms of preparation, when packing for lunch in the morning, it could not be easier. I just place 2 scoops of shake powder into a small tupperware container, grab my Phd shaker, and go.

At lunch, I pour 300ml of skimmed milk into the shaker, then add the shake powder (whatever you do ... don't add powder then milk, or it will stick in clumps to the bottom of your shaker). Screw on the lid tightly, shake very vigorously for around 30secs or so (good exercise) et voila, a delicious tasting shake is yours. No more worrying about what to make for a packed lunch in the morning.

In terms of weight loss ...well as I have said above, it is helping keep hunger pangs at bay, and I have lost a stone as a result. Unexpectedly, my skin is in significantly better condition - much more so than on previous diets, so better diet alone probably does not account for that.

According to my Withings scales, I have slightly more lean mass than the last time I was at my current weight, so perhaps Phd is helping with that, but even if not, I'm sold on its other benefits.

This former sceptic has been convinced, and will return to buy more.
55 comments| 291 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2014
i love diet whey.
it does make a difference, i would recemmend using a bit more water that stated for this flavour as it will very very sweet (for me to say that is something people who know me have never heard me say about anything before) i would recommend the strawberry over this flavour.
i love that there is green tea extract and cla in the product as well as it was 2 less things for me to take.
i found my body got alot leaner with this protein as well as losing weight, i had been losing weight before using the product but people only stated noticing the change in my body after i started using this protein.
the PhD range is alot cheaper on amazon than in the shops in my area, i would not be able to use this if i was not able to buy it on amazon (€45 per 1kg in health shops in Ireland, crazy, unjustifiable price)
on 23 August 2013
this is a great product. It tastes lovely - especially if you mix it with milk. I put a bit of extra flaxseed in it and it's a nice breakfast. Tastes like a MacDonalds vanilla milkshake. I don't have a six pack yet, but I'm guessing that's because I think about going to the gym a lot more than I actually go.
11 comment| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 April 2014
I've been using this product for 2 years now, and I am maintaining my weight after losing 6 stone. I have the shake as a meal replacement for either breakfast or midday meal, and sometimes use it to mix my porridge with for a much longer lasting effect.
on 25 January 2015
I am am on calorie counting weight loss system using my fitness pal started using slim fast or the supermarkets own brand, but they are high in sugar (but a good place to start to see if you can so the "Shake's"), moved on to this and it tastes great and the weight keeps dropping off will be buying again
on 7 April 2015
I liked the vanilla, strawberry okay, banana good but WOW this Cherry Bakewell outshines all of them and double WOW they all work big time and the weight drops off, wonderful product - take mine with water, delicious!!
on 14 March 2016
O well got to admit it's outstanding. .second week in ..and I'm feeling great .getting up feeling better now lag ...but you must mix with semi skimmed milk .... better results. Sndvyou don't feel hungry .through the day .I'm only using just over a scoop a day around 1 pm. Brilliant
on 23 February 2016
I have now been using this product for nearly 4 weeks and I'm amazed with the results I have lost 19lbs in this time and although have been very strict with my diet I also feel much more refreshed and healthy. I have recommended this product to the majority of my friends and co workers and will continue to do so! Thank you very much.
on 5 April 2016
Bought this after trying the standard whey and struggling to stomach the consistency. Mixes well and is great for blending with fruit etc. I can't manage chocolate flavour things first thing in the money and find this much better. Have repeatedly purchased this over the last year and am very happy with the results,
on 10 February 2016
PHD diet whey is consistently a winning formula for me. I take 3 scoops everyday for breakfast instead of food and i gradually lose a significant amount of weight over the course of a few weeks. I exercise only a little during the week so i know that this formula is also contributing to this weight lose. I also find that the weight doesn't go from the muscles but more from the stomach area. Excellent stuff.