Customer reviews

Pet Sounds [DVD AUDIO]
Format: DVD Audio|Change

on 25 July 2014
Undoubtedly, 'Pet Sounds' qualifies as one of the classic albums of all time, with Brian Wilson at the peak of his writing powers before his mental state started to decline. Compared to previous Beach Boys releases, this album from late 1965 is overtly less commercial and it didn't immediately please the fans who had grown used to 'sand and surf' themes. The best known song here is the utterly gorgeous 'God Only Knows' but, don't be fooled, the standard throughout the 36 minute running time is extremely high and, with an excellent accompanying booklet describing the making of the album and the inspiration behind the tracks, this is a great place to start your Beach Boys education. If you want to hear arguably the cream of the Beach Boys' material between 1963 and 1970 (including all the UK hit singles) then I can recommend 'Summer Dreams' as a good overview of their early career.
on 21 June 2016
It's 50 years old, every song on it is a classic and the mastering on this blu-ray, included in the four-disc box set is exceptional. There are four audio mixes: 2.0 mono, 2.0 stereo, 2.0 instrumental and 5.1 surround. The bit rate averages 10 Mbps and all the mixes have an outstanding clarity and dynamic range. Played back from an Oppo 105D blu-ray player, hooked up to a Denon AVR-X7200W amplifier and Dali Rubicon 8 floor speakers and Rubicon surrounds, I was particularly impressed with the 5.1 surround mix. This spreads the whole sound field into the room without breaking down the instruments into separate channels like the Moondance blu ray 5.1 mix does. The effect is a fantastically amplified album. Out of the 50 blu-ray audio titles I own, this ranks as the best. Outstanding.
on 12 June 2017
How many times have I bought this album? This release has both Stereo and Mono versions so I had to have it. Mainly because every serious music collection should have a copy. I am sure my son nicked my previous CD copy, but this edition is even better so "nur, nur, nur, nur, nur, nur!"
on 24 June 2017
I have always been a fan of the Beach Boys...saw them 3 times in 60s, then when they recorded Fun,Fun,Fun, with Status Quo in 90s and finally at Hyde Park in 2001 again with SQ.....But when my daughter gave me the Platinum Collection as a xmas present couple of years back...it whetted my appetite again....I started with Dennis Wilson POB....I can't begin to describe the how it made me feel....so raw, heartfelt and pure genius, so I moved onto Pet Sounds....it brought back so many memories of my teen years...an excellent album from another genius....I also ordered BB party! uncovered and unplugged...made me laugh and cry.....now waiting for the other albums I have ordered....Now a complete Beach Boy fan!!!!
on 18 July 2017
I used to dislike the Beach Boys in my youth but, I have since come to appreciate them in my more "mature" years, and mainly this album. It has to have one of the worst album covers ever, but the musical delights found inside are wonderful :-)
on 11 September 2017
Bought this in preparation for going to see Brian Wilson perform this album. It has lovely melodies and harmonies - no wonder the Beatles were worried back in the day.
on 29 July 2017
vinyl wore out long ago
forgot just how good this is
excellent
Mono and stereo version of original LP
not one duff track on here
on 22 July 2016
Ain't gonna write an essay, you only need the vinyl mono really, but if you want more then this is for you, Pet Sounds, just listen, when your day has been dull and grey put Pet Sounds on your record deck/in your CD player and listen while your room fills with colour...........
on 4 April 2017
This is an essential album for any music fan. I have had this on cd and tape for years, so when I invested in my record player a year ago, this was on my must own list. Beautiful.
on 28 June 2017
I love it, there's a reason why even Paul McCartney got this for his kids and puts it alongside Sgt Pepper. Not a huge Beach Boys fan but this is a must have in any collection.