on 1 August 2016
Great read. I loved it. Up to the authors usual standard.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 January 2012
I understand that this is one of Ken McClure's early books which has just joined his others on Kindle. Having become an ardent fan of his writing (this was my seventh in the 6 months since I read my first one), it was interesting to pick up one of his earlier works. It didn't quite measure up to what he is writing now but I guess that's what I would expect - it is nevertheless well worth the read. One word of caution - the final few pages get you really feeling you are there and I have to say I was glad to get out!
on 8 January 2012
An excellent book, slightly formulaic in places perhaps but with enough twists not to make this a problem. BUT...... It suddenly ends! It's not even as though the author lost interest and just did a "and they all lived happily ever after"-type ending, it's more like the final couple of chapters were missing. Without giving the story away, the hero climbs out of a pit, having solved the problem and saved the town, then nothing. It really needs another chapter covering '12 months later' or something, anything to tie up the loose ends. Other wise a really enjoyable read.
on 31 July 2012
I have always held a fascination for all things medical. No, I am not a medical person, but find the topic fascinating,nevertheless... I also love history- thus, I felt that this was a book I had to read. Although slow at some parts, 'Pestilence' is a great read. The detail provided of the disease, the town in which it took place and the characters was perfect. Not overwhelmed with medical jargon, it is easy enough for anyone to follow.
Around the middle, it started to lag a bit;however, the last few chapters were really thrilling. Note, anyone with an extreme phobia of rats should take care,as a main plague carrier- they have a large role in this story.
It is also fascinating to think how a town would cope if something like plague were to visit it.
I would recommend this for anyone who wants a good read and is not too nervous about rats. I am not in that category,as much as I loathe rodents of all sorts, I still found myself shudder a bit at the end.
on 9 January 2012
How nice to read a book set in Britain.
This was my first Ken McClure book, a Christmas freebie. I have since read 2 more of his Dunbar books, which, I think, are better than Pestilence. Mr McClure did well in allowing this to be a freebie, as I have, and will, purchase many more of his books.
Very easy read, but maintains the excitement and intrigue throughout. I couldn't put it down, then went hunting for more of the same.
on 7 January 2012
Apparently this is one of McClure's early works and they get better. Just as well.

As soon as the glue sniffers arrived, the end was pretty obvious but it was never apparent quite how silly the plot was going to get.

I suppose it has some value for fans of his later books (if they really are better) but if, like me, you are new to McClure, I wouldn't advise starting here. You'll only get put off.
on 14 February 2011
A very good book from an author whose work is new to the Kindle! A town under attack from a disease that's untreatable and only a doctor can give the people any hope.
on 16 June 2012
This is not a bad read I suppose and as a beach book or air plane book its fine. The plot is a little silly and it is let down by the typos and grammatical errors which are fairly frequent.
Clearly it is set in the past as cars have chokes and do not have catalysts in the exhaust system. Also there are some glaring medical inaccuracies that even basic research would have avoided, a muscle relaxant that paralyses but does not paralyse the muscles of respiration? I think not - as a doctor! Yes sure in a lab one may be able to titrate a suitable dose but not on a dart using a vetinary agent. The protagonist is quite likeable but some of the other characters' are not very believable.
Not really worth £3.20 - 69p maybe.
on 2 January 2012
I was a little sceptical of reading this but I am definitely pleased I took the time .I couldn't put it down it was that good and the twists are absolutely brilliant.Can't wait to read anything by this Author again.
on 19 June 2012
This is the 3rd book I've read from Ken McLure (the first two were Trauma and Ressurection) and although not quite as good as the other two, still enjoyable.

Yes, it did get a bit unbelievable in places but most books do. In saying that though, I have no medical background so maybe not quite as unbeliveable as it seems.

My only real complaint is that I felt it ended a bit abruptly, I'd like to say more but don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Still looking forward to reading more from Ken McLure though