Persuasive Images: Posters of War and Revolution from the Hoover Archives Hardcover – 13 Sep 1992
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Honorable Mention for the 1993 Award for Best Professional/Scholarly Book in the Arts, Association of American Publishers Award
"One of the most important American collections of visual propaganda.... to display the Hoover Institution's vast holdings is a service to anyone interested in 20th-century propaganda."--The New York Times Book Review
"These 300 full-color reproductions still rekindle the emotions of their stormy times."--Booklist
"As a study in the power of images, this book is hard to match. Just to thumb through it can be gripping."--San Francisco Examiner and Chronicle
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Viewed purely as an art book, it's a must-have. As a history book, it's jaw-droppingly intriguing. I have never found a book, website, or museum collection as appealing and thought-provoking as you will find in this book.
I teach high school -- I have had students stay 3 hours after school just to pore over the pages of this book. It's that good.
The dustjacket flap explains things rather well: "This book treats the poster both as art and as historical witness. Posters are not relegated to the secondary role of illustrating an historical text nor are they trated as autonomous aesthetic objects.... Rather, they are substantial components of an historical narrative that is made up of both image and text."
And, true to this perspective, this book honors both text and image. The images are stunning, reproduced in color with a large amount of detail and texture. In this 232 page book, there are well over 300 illustrations. Each poster is annotated and the text draws attention to similarities and differences.
Table of Contents
Note on the Posters
Prologue: Before 1914
The First World War (pp 10-99)
The Interwar Years (pp 100-141)
The Second World War (pp 142-213)
List of Posters
Index of Artists
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Graphic Design
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Graphic Arts > Graphic Design
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Graphic Arts > Posters
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > History of Art & Architecture
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Styles & Movements
- Books > History > Europe
- Books > History > Military History
- Books > History > World History
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Civil Liberties & Political Activism