on 31 March 2006
I recently became the treasurer of a large scuba-diving club, and inherited "the spreadsheet from Hell". It required each transaction to be entered on different sheets a minimum of twice, and some 3 times - time consuming and very easy to make mistakes (but not easy to see when and where mistakes had been made). Plus the spreadsheet wasn't robust, and the formulae kept disappearing. So, I started looking for some proprietary software.
The PA software looked reasonable, so I asked a few questions via their website - I got an extremely helpful reply about 2 hours later - and this was on a Saturday! So, I paid the extremely modest £19 for the download version, pretty much immediately.
Basically the software has 2 main screens, which look a bit like a simple spreadsheet. It's obvious that the designers haven't spent much time making it look pretty, so it has a somewhat basic look. But, don't be fooled ...
The first screen is a summary of all the accounts you wish to set up. These are "real accounts" like your bank account and petty cash, but also "virtual accounts" to cover cost categories such as (in my case) fixed assets, boat maintenance costs, boat income, clubhouse bills, membership fees, pool hire, pool income etc etc. These categories can be grouped as you wish (eg into categories such as boat transactions, or money-in/money-out). You can also group them to give a profit-and-loss summary and also balance sheet.
The other screen is the one where you actually record your transactions. Each transaction is entered only once, using drop down menus to select from the accounts you've set up. A transaction for me might be from Bank to Boat Maintenance. The accounts screen would then show that money had gone from the bank account to Boat Maintenance, so I can keep track of how much the boat is costing us to run. There's also a tool to make it easy for you to reconcile (check) your transactions against your bank account, to make sure you (or the bank) haven't made any mistakes.
As soon as you've entered some transactions, they will be reflected on the accounts screen. If you double-click on a value on the accounts screen (eg bank balance), then the transactions associated with that account will appear in a new screen. The whole thing is extremely simple and transparent.
It took me a little while to set it up correctly, but that's because I have little or no experience of book-keeping. If you know what you're doing, then it should be trivial to get it running straight away. If you don't know what you're doing, then you should be able to get started easily enough, but will need to put a little more time in to get your accounts structured correctly.
PA does also have free after sales service, via e-mail. Plus their website has a free forum for people to ask questions, which seems useful and well maintained. For a fee, they also provide a telephone service, but I wouldn't have thought many people would need it.
For the treasurer of a club/society I recommend this software very highly indeed.
11 comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 November 2005
It is a simple product and does what is says but cannot be consided by anybody actually running a VAT registered business as it does not handle VAT separately. Great for personal use.
0Comment| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2006
This program is ideal for my type of business as I run a consultancy service and Personal Accounts Small Business has and does everything I need. It can be personalised very easily and allows me to analyse payments and income streams very easily. A very good product for the price as commercial packages are overkill (not to say too expensive). Once you have set it up, the program is flexible enough for you to modify or expand income/outgoing categories as the need arises. No bells and whistles, simply easy to use and customise. I find it invaluable.
on 8 August 2005
I bought this to do my bookkeeping for my small business, its brilliant... I used to use a spreadsheet, and spent ages going back and forth putting the information in.
In Personal Accounts I don't even have to put my receipts in date order because the program does it for me. It has saved me hours...I can't live without it.
on 17 October 2005
This is a truly amazing piece of software. I only run a small business and this software has allowed me to look after my own finances which has saved me a fortune. Its affordable and easy to use. An excellent product.
on 13 October 2006
I have been very impressed with this accounts package.

As the treasurer of a local Scout association I have found that it is saving me time and effort, it makes finding information and generating reports easy. I shall certainly recommend it to other groups.
on 4 February 2007
The few invoices I do produce I do in a word processor. Personal Accounts Small Business does the important part. Telling me if I am making a profit. Telling me if my bank account is likely to go overdrawn. Giving me what I need to fill in my self-assessment return. I can stick all my transactions in any any order I like, sort it in any way I like and watch my balances change in real time. The support I have had from Accountz has been first rate. The forum is public, they hang their washing out for all to see and the odd email I have sent is replied to within a day (I even had a reply on a Sunday). If you need to account for your business, you cannot go wrong with this. They do something called Business Accountz which has invoicing and VAT, but I haven't looked at that yet. If it's anything close to the standard of this it will be superb. I am a very satisfied user.
on 11 June 2007
I bought this to keep track of my accounts as freelance designer, hoping I wouldn't have to pay an accountant at tax return time. And I didn't need to! Simple to use, fulfilled all my needs. (I send invoices that I've done using other software anyway, same as letterheads, letters etc so this wasn't a problem, and you can easily keep a record of them going out and being paid in Personal Accounts, even though it won't generate them.)

Much easier than doing it on paper, and taught me more about accounting than all the books I borrowed from the library. Excellent printable manual too, plus telephone and online support. And they didn't laugh at my daft questions...
on 24 January 2007
I bought this to keep track of my very simple account needs. So, I get the 'Small business edition' as they don't do a 'Very very small business' edition. So, first job is to create an invoice. No such luck. The user forum (administrator) says that this may be available on the more expensive edition.... which business large or small doesn't produce invoices? Who would expect an Accounts package for business to have an option to prepare an invoice ? I certainly would.

It appears to be a (not very) glorified spreadsheet... Miss
on 15 February 2007
I have owned this for a year,Easy to use and to understand. a definite must for the small business. 5 stars all the way. 5 stars to accountz.com for bringing this software to us and for being cheerful and professional if one needs to contact them.

See one answered question