Customer reviews

Perfect Fling: Serendipity's Finest Book 2
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 September 2013
Perfect Fling is actually my first Carly Phillips book, I know where have I been? She's writes amazing contemporary romance and I love reading amazing contemporary romance so why she's never been on my radar I have no idea, but after devouring Perfect Fling I think I'm going to have a blast catching up with her back catalogue.

Assistant D.A. Erin Marsden is a sensible, smart, good girl but after watching all the loving couples at a wedding she heads to the bar looking for a little company for the night and comes across Cole Sanders. Cole was the town's resident bad boy after dropping out of the police academy before graduation he left town and surfaces only occasionally. After a drink or two Erin and Cole have a one night stand and low and behold three months later Erin not only finds out that's she's pregnant but that she has also become the target for some sort of crazy stalker. So when Cole finds out Erin is in danger the father to be steps in to protect her.

Ahhh Cole *le sigh* what can I say? What a guy! He's not the deadbeat drop out that everyone thinks he is and is actually an undercover cop in Manhattan often under deep cover for a year at a time. It drove me slightly crazy that Cole never corrected people about their lowly opinions of him. I got that it kind of suited him in that it stopped the nosey locals from asking questions about him but I honestly wanted to scream out loud on his behalf! I especially wanted to put his father straight especially since he had been outright cruel and nasty towards his son pretty much since childhood and as a result Cole just didn't think that he actually deserved a decent and nice woman like Erin in his life. After leading such a solitary life when Erin does come into Cole's life she's like a breath of fresh air to him that he didn't even realise he even needed.

I loved Erin's character too, she really sees something in Cole that no one else ever has and I loved her for it. Forced together whilst Erin's stalker is on the loose Cole steps in as the protector (getting more book boyfriend points from me- and he even cooks for her!) and they inevitably end up in bed together. Cole is however, honest with Erin telling her that he can't and won't commit to her so its up to the very determined Erin to change his mind.

I often find a lot of the current contemporary romance books are just too short for me, not so Perfect Fling. That extra length allowed both the story of the stalker to unfold and for Cole and Erin's initially forced relationship to change and grow. All in all Perfect Fling left me feeling a lot more satisfied as a reader and now I have the added bonus of discovering a whole Carly Philips back catalogue of books to devour, I might just be in contemporary romance heaven. 5 out of 5.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 November 2013
Assistant D.A. Erin Marsden is Serendipity's good girl. She is the daughter of the former police chief, has protective brothers, and no one in town would ever believe that Erin could do anything wrong. But when Cole Sanders shows up, Erin decides to be wild for a single night and spends it in his arms. Though they used protection, Erin eventually realizes she is pregnant.

After seven years of deep undercover work in New York, Cole returns to Serendipity to help his aging father, Jeb. Cole had approached mob bosses, murderers, and drug dealers with more ease than that with which he faced his father again. Cole does not mean to get involved with wholesome Erin, but neither can resist spending one night of blazing passion together.

Erin being pregnant with his baby gives Cole the right to immediately step into the role of bodyguard when she becomes the target of a killer. His feeling for Erin would have caused Cole to protect her even had she not been pregnant; but this way Erin would be foolish to decline his help - as if he would let her. But Cole soon begins to admit that his priorities are changing and perhaps the time has finally come to face the past so that he may have a future with Erin.

**** FOUR STARS! Author Carly Phillips blends romance, comedy, and suspense into a story that is destined to long linger within the minds of its readers. (It certainly did in mine.) But this is the trademark of a good author, which Carly Phillips definitely is. Set in a small town, this has what most suspect; locals who know everything about everyone. This makes for various forms of drama - and Phillips proves that she knows drama. ****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.
on 10 October 2013
Again good story line great expectations but failed to capture my imagination and i was disappointed with it - could not recommend.
on 12 September 2013
I read all the author's work and I love everyone of them. I picked the book up and couldn't put it down.