on 24 April 2008
All commercial patterns are based on a B cup, and having bought a bookshop full of fitting books trying to find out how to alter the patterns for a fuller cup (OK I'm more than a D!) - this is the first I've found. - And they work! Now I've discovered I also have a low bust point too - which I never knew until I could get the pattern to fit around the width. All the alterations are pictorial, and step by step. Be warned though - sometimes it's unclear how much you should be altering the pattern by, and when you need a minor alteration or a major one is open to interpretation.
22 comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2008
I've got a few books on fitting, and they tend to be quite long-winded, and to use extreme "examples" to illustrate quite common fitting problems.
This book is laid out in the order in which you should fit, and shows exactly what you should be looking for on realistically shaped models. The solutions it offers are straight-forward to implement, and if you follow the order in the book, you won't have to go back over your alterations to "re-tweak" too many times.
I think this book is a really useful reference material.
on 23 February 2009
This is a great book - it gives an introduction to fitting, how to understand your figure etc. However, one of the ways it gets you to understand your figure in relation to the measurements used by clothing manufacturers, is to get you to draw an outline of yourself - not easy when you live alone like I do!

It gives clear and concise diagrams on how to fit a pattern for all manner of adjustments such as a gaping armhole, full bust/high bust, narrow shoulders, round back..... the list goes on. The only negative thing I would say is that it doesn't cover my particular 'flaws'

I would recommend this book if you are serious about your dressmaking and have the time and the inclination to carry out every single pattern adjustment to give your clothes that perfect fit.
22 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 June 2013
Having just taken up dressmaking again after an interval of a lot of years, and having lost over 3 stone, I needed a book to help me make sense of altering patterns to fit me properly. This book does it all, shows all the techniques I needed to know - especially as I am a size 16 at the top and a small 14 at the bottom - to alter patterns to fit. I have recently completed my first two dresses, one adapted from a size 16 pattern and one in which I melded two pattern sizes together. The fit is much better than just following a pattern and having to make do with what came out at the end! Loads of photographs to help me make sense of the instructions, loads of info about measurements and how to take them, loads of tips and tricks and beautifully put together to make a book which I will turn to again and again - every time I have a pattern, or indeed, a garment to alter! One of the best buys I've made in ages!
on 10 June 2013
I would recommend this book to any budding sewist.
I purchased this after many years of sewing & learnt a great deal about fitting from this book.
Excellent buy & an undeniable "Bible" in my sewing room.
on 7 September 2009
This book is an excellent general guide on what to strive for in making patterns fit, and how alter the pattern to get there. There are lots of photos of what constitutes a proper fit and what is less than ideal, and illustrated advice on how to modify your pattern to achieve this - and how to make the generalisations needed so that it will work on other patterns. It does what it says in the title.
on 5 June 2009
I have made a few things but regard myself a dressmaking beginner. This American book has plenty of photographs illustrating the explanations, and is packed full of tips. You can find your problem dress-fitting areas, and the book explains (using photographs of people) how to rectify them. Well written and easy to follow.
on 23 September 2013
I love love love this book, it's been the best I have found on the market in terms of actually pushing your skills, ability and confidence forward in the pattern alteration area. It does not just bore you with with the theory of why you would alter patterns it actually shows you how, where, why to alter for your personal fitting problems. It covers (in my view) probably all of the common alterations a seamstress would need to make and more! I have made 1 perfectly fitted shirt and dress using the '' cut and spread'' technique shown and would recommend this book to all serious dress makers/fashion dessigners as a good go to resource to remember key skills and to those who are at beginner level who wish to push their skills up to the next level with fitting skills and to those ( like me) who often have to adjust standard industry patterns in the main areas of shoulders, back, bust and waist etc.

Whatever your level, if you can read a pattern with confidence and often do not fit the industry standard pattern measurements and need to adjust here and there this is the book for you.
on 19 July 2013
What a fantastic book. Needs to be studied to make dresses perfectly but well worthwhile. A Very rewarding hobby. Make your own designer dresses
on 13 April 2011
Really useful little book, good clear photographs and simple instructions. I wanted to adjust a 1942 pattern to fit the modern body shape and was having a problem with the waist, this book solved my problem with three simple photos, the dress now looks fabulous. I've recommeded this book to my aunt who was having trouble with getting trousers to fit and would suggest any keen dressmaker has it on their book shelf.