Format: Paperback|Change

This dictionary does exactly what it says: it gives plenty of synonyms for English words, suggesting when they are informal in usage. Where it is less strong is on antonyms, usually offering one at the most. In this it is less thorough than ths slightly larger Oxford version which also has useful alphabetical marks down the side to make finding a word easier. The Penguin gives, for example, under "tight" fourteen synonyms for the usual sense and its opposite "loose", six for miserly with money and the opposite "generous", four more for the sense of sealed but no antonyms and five for the informal use meaning drunk with the opposite "sober". My guess is that most people want synonyms but, if that is not your case, I'd go for the Oxford.
on 12 August 2013
Useful and easy to use reference, good for quick referrals but you still need a thesaurus in your life. Yes you do. I live alone and often feel the need to argue with myself so this book is indispensable to me. Although sometimes it's dispensable. (You see, you do need a Thesaurus)
on 29 May 2011
I bought this book for a Hungarian friend who wants to improve her English; she has found it useful for expanding her vocabulary and I have also enjoyed browsing. I would recommend this book for anyone (English speaker or foreign learner)who wishes to enlarge their vocabulary.
on 12 June 2011
Great book for helping me do my crosswords. Excellent price - and delivered promptly and free of charge by Amazon.
on 25 June 2013
This is a great family resource. I bought this book to help with my poetry writing but my wife took possession of it to write her dissertation! The boys also find it very useful (one writes short stories, the other writes poetry). To avoid conflict over this very useful resource, I ordered for another copy.

I recommend this book to anyone who does any kind of writing! And that's practically everyone!
on 2 September 2014
If you want good-value trustworthy reference books, then the choice often comes down to Penguin and Oxford offerings. I have both their dictionaries of synonyms and antonyms and can't find much to choose between them. I just wish that Penguin would abandon their round-cornered binding format, which makes it unnecessarily difficult to cover the books in library film.
on 10 November 2014
A very well received present.
on 23 December 2014
Very useful little book ... I bought it for my son and wasn't sure whether he would use such a book.. but he loves it and refers to it constantly. Good value for money.
on 4 May 2015
fine
on 14 December 2015
I use this in conjunction with other reference books for comedy writing.