on 14 June 2014
We went to Normandy for the 70th anniversary. On 5th June there was a parachute drop over Pegasus Bridge which we went to see. On the following day, the 70th Anniversary, a number of D-Day books were in the Kindle Daily Deal, including this one. As I already have three D-Day books, I thought it pointless buying more. I was initially put off by the brevity of this book.

I ended up buying it anyway. I am very pleased that I did. Despite the brevity, it goes into so much detail that I had a far better understanding of the operation - far more than by just reading my other books (which were on the entire D-Day campaign, so obviously were less detailed regarding individual events).

I did things the wrong way round - visited Pegasus Bridge, then bought this book. If you plan on visiting the bridge I suggest buying this book; if you don't plan on visiting it, it will make you want to do so.

The bridge is only a few miles from Caen ferry terminal (which is actually in Ouistreham) - particularly convenient if travelling via that port.

(If travelling instead via Le Havre and the weather is good, may I suggest a detour via Honfleur harbour? A coffee outdoors, by the harbour, is lovely. Honfleur is only about a 10 minute drive from the motorway - it could hardly be less off your route - and only about 25 minutes from the Le Havre ferry terminal, the other side of the Pont de Normandie (bridge). You can continue towards the D-Day beaches or Caen either wholly or partially away from the motorway if you prefer - a more interesting journey which does not add too much to your journey time (though you might find it frustrating without a sat nav)).

The operation was to capture two bridges - Bénouville Bridge and Ranville Bridge, which are just a few hundred yards apart. They were subsequently renamed Pegasus Bridge and Horsa Bridge respectively due to the operation. Naturally the book covers the operation to capture both bridges.

If you look at the third photo on the Wikipedia page for Pegasus Bridge, you will see how incredibly close the gliders landed to Pegasus bridge.

The book contains photographs including aerial ones. I bought the Kindle version which suffers from the usual Kindle problems with images - terribly poor resolution. On the Paperwhite, you can zoom in on an image by holding your finger on a photo - a magnifying glass icon appears with a plus sign. Click on it to zoom in. But frankly, that only improves things a little bit.

The current price is expensive by Kindle standards for such a short book, so I deduct one star.
on 6 February 2014
This is a must read book.a Fantastic insight into a military operation through the planning to the operation and beyond. excellent account by the people involved in this famous action.
22 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 July 2016
This is my 6th book from this collection and im still not disappointed with this set that includes The Cockleshell Heroes and Dambusters....
I hear theres gonna be a film coming out next year about the mission on pegasas bridge, and it stars Jason Flemming as a young Lt. Richard Todd (nicknamed Sweeney) who actually became an actor himself who sadly died in 2009 i think. Richard Todd was on the 5th glider that reinforced the first drop of soldiers trying to take the pegasis bridge....
We all know Richard Todd for The Dambusters and The Longest Day among many of his films.
The book is an interesting read with photos and detailed drawings of the mission.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 July 2014
This book solved a puzzle. Brian Mullen was a family friend, who was sadly killed during the D-Day landings (when I was 9 years old.) A few years back I discovered that there was a plaque in his memory on Pegasus Bridge. S how did he get there/ I assumed that he had come in the gliders. I have been to Pegasus bridge and marvelled how they got three gliders into that space at night. As an American commander said of a similar landing to the east:"It was enough to give a man religion." Fowler's book gave a list of those who landed in the gliders (pages 22-23). Brian Mullen was not listed. But he is mentioned on page 57. Carrying a heavy rucksack, half-drowned in the landing on Sword beach, he had marched up with No 4 Commandos. only to be killed with many others by an enemy sniper as he crossed the bridge.
on 7 June 2015
A superb account of 6th Airborne's capture of the bridges at Benouville on night of 6th June 1944. I found this hard to put down, even knowing the outcome of this coup de main operation to seize these two bridges I still wanted to know all the details. A fascinating read from start to finish; anyone interested in operation Overlord & D-Day will find this an absorbing read & invaluable companion to any other books you may have on this incredible venture
on 29 October 2014
A first class account of the capture of the two bridges which greatly contributed to the success of the D Day landings specifically around sword beach. Very well presented account of the men who where the fore runners to D Day. As someone who has visited the area I was thrilled to read about the places they had fought over. To walk in these places was a very poignant and moving occasion . A bargain price at 99p n all that.
on 30 March 2015
I have read a few of the osprey raid series and in my opinion, this is one of the best. Supported by lots of quotes the story itself reads like an adventure story. I would have liked to read a little more of the aftermath and defence of the bridges but I'm guessing page numbers don't allow this. A great read of an impressive achievement.
on 29 August 2014
The true story of the raid on Pegasus Bridge, with a number of recollections of the men who were there.

There are a number of photos and maps to accompany the story, making it all knit together well.

For military historians, it is well worth a read, if purely because of the recollections of the soldiers.
on 28 June 2014
on 28 July 2014
A historical account of what happened in the early part of D-Day, written by a Royal British Legion guide and using eye witness accounts from some of those who were involved in the action. Recommended reading if you are interested in WWII.