Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 30 August 2014
Peep show was long in the tooth even by season 5, but this season really is a bridge too far. Save your money and go the the pub instead, at least the stories will be believable.
on 15 March 2017
amazing funny
on 22 June 2017
Great
on 25 May 2017
28 yr old son liked it
on 6 March 2014
As much as we Peep Show, I think we'll all agree that the show is feeling a little tired now it's in its 8th series. Mark is trying to encourage Dobby to move in, while Jeremy's become obsessed with her; thats basically the overall story arc and it doesn't really go anywhere. In series 7 Mark became a Dad, and you'd expect his new found fatherhood would have become a focus of the programme, but apart from a brief appearance in the first episode, Mark's baby isn't seen or mentioned again for the rest of the series. It feels as though the writers have got lazy and are trying to avoid sleeping in the bed they've shat. Laughs aren't as thick and fast as they were in series 7 and this generally feels like the weakest series to date.
on 10 September 2013
I'm a huge fan of the Peep Show but even I'm starting to think that it might be time to call quits. What was once unique about the show has now been done to death. Still some laugh out loud moments but fewer and far between.
on 20 February 2015
Having watched every other season of Peep show , obviously I wanted to watch this one but I've got to say it really wasn't as good as previous seasons , maybe the format is getting tired or maybe it's come to a natural end
on 25 December 2014
Such a crying shame that Peep Show has gone from brilliant to terrible in the space of one series. I've waited quite a while to post this review as I wanted to give series 8 another chance, thinking that maybe it was my high expectations that caused my first, extremely disappointed reaction. It wasn't. This really is a poor series. Everything I've read in other negative reviews is spot on and there's little I can add.

None of the plot threads are convincing, the characters are actually out of character and there's lots of things that don't make sense or just strike me as lazy writing (the employment of Andy by Mark is complete tosh). What did we all love about Hans? His edgy, drug taking, self-deluded musical genius character, and here it's all been stripped away. What did we like about Dobby? Her sweet, quirky and nerdy persona, which again has been shredded. We liked Sophie and Jeff's inclusion, along with Johnson's appearances - well, it's almost as if they've been deleted from existence.

For me, Peep Show ended with the New Years Eve episode of series 7. That's it. I would have to hear some amazing feedback if they ever made series 9 to even think of watching it.
on 28 September 2014
I am a huge Peep Show fan but this season the show finally lost it, (Spoilers).. the main plot of Jeremy falling in love with Dobby was poorly executed and not the least bit convincing, just like the moment Jez realises his feelings in the one episode that was reasonably funny it came from out of nowhere. The only way they made it even remotely convincing was to change Dobby's character completely so she now appears as a hipster who is into smoking joints and clubbing, when she came into it she was a geeky IT girl with a quirky personality into role playing games, a real match for Mark but now she is apparently perfect for Jez. She also became really boring as a character and did not add anything to the series other than a reason for Mark and Jez to fight. She is nothing like the previous women Jez has fallen for and it didn't work at all.

There was a huge lack of jokes as well, the writing was nowhere near to the standard of previous seasons. Super Hans added some light relief but aside from this and all too short cameos from other characters there was nowhere near the amount of humour as before.

The episode stories were also poor, who cares about Mad Andy? Not a very funny character the first time, we really didn't need to see him again. Then there was Mark acting so out of character with his book publishing deal, no way would he fall for this.

The season ended with the two characters being completely nasty to each other in a painfully unfunny picnic scene, it's sad to see such a great show reduced to something so bad.
on 28 December 2012
Peep show season 1-7 had me frequently laughing out loud. I love them so much that I watched them all again on holiday recently, in preperation for season 8.

Little did I realise what a let down lay in store. Season 8 was rarely funny and I hope this does not signal the end for the series.

- Why ruin Superhans by making him normal. I can see that him being a bigger success than Mark has comedy merit, but it shouldn't happen at the expense of one of the shows most brilliant characters - "This crack is really more-ish"

- No Big Suze, Sophie, Mark's Kid, Johnson, Nancy, Jeff or parents - characters that brought the show to life and gave Mark and Jez situations to bounce off of. Without them it felt very empty. Dobbie works now and then but isn't strong, funny or interesting enough for a whole season.

- Gerrard dying wasn't particularly funny. If anything it was a bit of a downer. Peep show audiences love crass and beyond the pail, way beyond, but a character dying had me feeling bad, which is an emotion that doesn't mix well with comedy.

- Throughout I had the sad feeling that Mark and Jez didn't care about each other on any level, meaning they have no option but to go seperate ways. Yes, I think Jez would fancy Dobbie and it is a bit funny watching Jez sleep in a bin bag in the corner of a nutters room, but as prolonged themes they became a bit depressing, like watching the death throes of a lovely beached dolphin that used to frollick gaily amomgst the waves. It now lies dying, dying and bleeding because it's dorsal fin got badly cut by a sealink ferry propeller, forcing the poor creature onto the rocks where its right flank got badly shredded. Now it lies bleeding and hopeless. But fear not - a man with a dolphin bandage is running down the beach - will he get here in time. We can only hope as we watch the golden sand turn red.

All in all there was little of merit in this season, which appeared as though it was written by someone who has no idea what the soul of this great series is about. Perhaps the best material was saved for Fresh Meat - which is a great show, equalling previous Peep Show's exceedingly high standards on every level.

I hope the writers do pen series 9. But seriously guys, take 3 years if you need to, get the old cast back on board and make it great. Peep Show can't go out of this bum note.

1111 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse