on 25 May 2016
I've never left a negative review before, I feel guilty as I know I couldn't do better but...

I haven't given up on a book for a very long time but I couldn't put myself through reading anymore of this one. My kindle informed me that I'm 51% of the way through the story and I can't face the next 49%. There are too many good books out there to waste my time reading this one.

The story jumps about too much, it's all over the place. More than once I had to check I'd not accidentally changed books, a new chapter can start with a totally new situation and totally new characters. Vivi was the only character I liked yet still not enough to care about what happens to her. I found it hard to care about any character as there were so many who were all having many pages and even chapters dedicated solely to them.

I feel that Jojo's has tried to be too fancy and flowery with her writing in this book. My mind wandered multiple times to the point where I was having to read multiple pages again to discover that I'd missed absolutely no story or character progression, no wonder my mind was wandering!

I really enjoyed Me Before You and will give Jojo's writing another go as I'm sure she can't have written too many books like this one.
5 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2015
I loved this book - after loving The One plus One, I tried an other JoJo Moyes but couldn't get into it. Then I found this - wonderful story, brilliantly unfolded and told.

I gave this 5 stars, which is something I reserve for what is the very best with no complaints. The mini-portraits of each character's pasts were enough to engage the reader - and if the author was using 4 'types of brides' and the device of throwing the 4 extremes together,that didn't matter, as they were so well drawn, and their interactions believable.

The mystery of Frances was well kept and her ultimate position as bride cleverly revealed to keep you reading.

Perhaps my only critique is that the tale of France's background, of how she came to be so reserved, was possibly the least compelling writing. Though its story was believable, it felt like hurried writing: on the other hand, it could've taken a whole book to itself.
3 people found this helpful
on 2 April 2018
Having read the authors excellent Me Before You book, I thought it was time I revisited the work of Jojo Moyes. I wasn’t disappointed. This book is based around a true event, the shipping of 600 Australian women to the UK who had married British servicemen in the Second World War.
The story follows four women from different backgrounds on their journeys with not always a successful outcome.
A really good read, recommended.
on 9 May 2017
This lady always manages to make me cry with her stories.
I wasn't sure of it for the first few chapters, although this tends to be usual for me for her books, but I loved it. I really wanted to know what happened to the ladies once they left the boat... Needed to know more!
Recommended.
on 4 January 2016
I discovered this author a little while ago and really enjoyed what I'd read so there was no hesitation in downloading this. As I read the first chapter or so I thought I'd made a mistake and left the book to read something else. I thought I'd give it one more try before giving up completely and I'm so glad I did! I loved this story. The characters were brilliantly developed and there was enough of each of their stories to keep my interest until the very end. I finished the story with a lump in my throat and I know the characters will stay with me for a long time.
on 28 June 2013
Jojo Moyes is the only author who I can honestly say has ever made me cry...with "Me Before You" and I've been avidly reading her books since. Although this one didn't quite go to the heights of Me Before You, I still read it in about one sitting (excluding tea making, obv) and she's written a brilliantly engaging story.

The title of the novel intrigued me from the start - you soon learn that the shop is named after the shop that forms the centrepiece of the book. Jojo introduces the characters subtly and with skill, starting with the main character's glamorous and mysterious mother, then moving forward to the present day. Not one character is without flaws but they are all inherently likeable. Getting to the bottom of why Suzanna is the way she is happens slowly with a few 'a-ha' moments, and I was glued to the book to see what would happen. There are some emotional moments and surprises along the way, and all in all it's an entertaining, absorbing read that will stay with you.
on 28 June 2014
This is obviously based on fact and I like the links to the history. The characters are believable, from common little Jean to the arrogant and selfish Avice. Haven't quite finished yet but certainly enjoying the read. It's slightly confusing in the way it's written (could just be on kindle?) and you're not certain who's talking or whether it's before or during the voyage. However all does become clear before too long and you do get used to it. It's a fairly long book so allow plenty of time! A good read.
on 7 May 2016
I had no idea this happened in the Second World war to think of all those women crossing continents in the hope that their quick romance and wedding was true love! So romantic and such a brilliant read with the back stories of the four main girls brilliantly described and so interesting. I couldn't put it down.
on 30 December 2013
I'm in two minds about this book. In one hand, it is a great story, lots of detail and delivers what you'd expect from Jo Jo Moyes. It is heart wrenching, uplifting and has it's share of poignant moments but...I despised the protagonist. I found her unlikable, was unable to relate to her and just didn't care for her or what she was going through. The other character - mum Vivi and biological mum Athene, not to mention Jessie and Ale, were fantastic. I wanted to know more about them, their lives, their pain and their joys. It was impossible to care for Suzanna, that might be just me but she really put a dampener on what would otherwise be a brilliant book.
on 20 June 2016
Once again I have been thoroughly engrossed in a JoJo Moyes book. She certainly knows how to spin a tale that pulls you in. She has the ability to make you feel for the main characters and obviously does her homework when it comes to researching for the content. Now one of my favourite authors. I won't bore you by giving you details of what you can read for yourself I simply say buy it and enjoy.