Customer reviews

on 3 May 2017
Surely I'm not the only one who disliked Megadeth's debut 'Killing is My Business', right? I mean, I didn't just dislike it, I hated it. I thought it was awful. It was boring, uninspiring, repetitive, grating, and just all-out rubbish.

That's why I'm happy that with 'Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?', Dave Mustaine and his band of merry musicians become the Megadeth we all truly know and love today. And that includes me!

Everything I hated about 'Killing...' has been rectified here. The songs are catchier and the guitar work has matured a great deal, the vocals have improved massively, in both lyrics and melodies, and the production finally gives the music some clarity, as opposed to their debut album where I felt the shoddy production made it hard to truly distinguish any of the guitar riffs.

Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. This album is far from perfect, and for all the improvements it's made over its predecessor, there are still some fairly average songs that I don't find myself ever coming back to. However, there are also some early Megadeth classics in there that still hold up well today, such as 'Wake Up Dead' and 'Peace Sells'. And tracks like 'Devil's Island', 'Good Morning/Black Friday' and 'My Last Words' show a band who, despite the vast amounts of drugs and alcohol they were consuming, still had the wherewithal to produce something that would be considered one of thrash metals finest works.

Oh, and it happens to have one of the most recognizable album covers in metal! Not bad. Not bad at all.
on 27 May 2015
This is my favourite Megadeth album and what a masterpiece it is! Musically, lyrically and vocally this album is a work of pure genius! In my humble opinion this line up of Dave Mustaine on lead vocals, Lead and rhythm guitar, Chris Poland on lead and rhythm guitar, David Ellefson on bass guitar and back up vocals and Gar Samuelson on drums and percusion is the best incarnation of Megadeth ever. This album has it all, snarling vocals delivered with vehemence and venom, feral, driving rhythm guitars that could strip paint off a wall at 100 metres, melodic, beautiful guitar leads that caress and soothe the soul, driving and pounding bass riffs that are delivered with precision and power, drumming that is out of this world and lyrics so dark that they are truly scary. From a technical point of view "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?" is peerless in the Speed and Thrash Metal genres! This album is imbued with the melody and fluidity of Jazz/Fusion, the precision of Flamenco guitar, the raw energy and power of Thrash Metal and the Punk attitude of the Sex Pistols! 1986 was an exceptionally good year for Thrash Metal because albums like Slayer "Reign in Blood", Metallica "Master of Puppets", Metal Church "The Dark", Dark Angel "Darkness Descends", Agent Steel "Unstoppable Force", Kreator "Pleasure to Kill", Destruction "Eternal Devastation", Possessed "Beyond the Gates" and Megadeth "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying" were unleashed on an unsuspecting metal world and each of these albums helped take Heavy Metal to new heights but in my humble opinion, the most accomplished album among these is "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying"! "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying" in my humble opinion is the definitive Thrash Metal statement full stop!!!
on 21 February 2003
Call it thrash, call it metal, call it whatever you like, this is a classic example of the high standard of musicianship which has largely been present across all Megadeth releases. Quite simply put nothing else sounds like this. It's totally fresh for it's time and is a great listen. As the liner notes say "Boycott noise metal". This has melody and aggression in tandem and shows that Mustaine had managed to recover from his Metallica debacle. Whilst the first album sounded rushed and directionless, from Ellefsons bass intro, this album just takes off. Wonderful guitar playing by Messers Poland and Mustaine in tandem with the tight bass playing of Ellefson and the unique "mantis" style drumming of Samuelson, this album is simply breathtaking in its variety. We have the Hard rocking "Wake Up Dead", the almost radio friendly title track, and some genuine "progressive metal" within songs like "Black Friday" and "The Conjuring". Even the cover of "I ain't Superstitious" is pretty good (even if it sounds a little out place), much better than "These Boots" off the debut album or the woeful "Anarchy in the (UK) USA" off the (in my view, slightly disappointing) "So Far, So Good, So What".
Megadeth's original lineup for me ranks just behind the Friedman/Menza lineup (as does this album behind "Rust In Peace) but this showcases this lineup at its best
on 5 June 2001
what can i say? you must buy this album! megadeth are much more 'laid back' than metallica,daves lyrics are quite hate covered,unlike metallica,james' lyrics are very serious,daves are a bit more funny,standout tracks have to be 'wake up dead' 'peace sells' and the very strage for megadeth but gothic(almost) good mourning/ the slayer type 'black friday' this album is a classic thrash album,but i think megadeths best albums were in the early 90's aka:'countdown to extinction' 'rust in peace' and 'youthanisaia' another good track on here is the fantastic 'the conjuring' i really like daves vocal at the begining,very dry lung.all the solos are great,vocals still shakey,but david ellefson's pounding bass helps and so does gars drums.just take my advice and get this album!
on 8 October 2000
Megadeth. Perhaps the most under-rated heavy metal band ever. I'd gone for years thinking that Metallica were untouchable. Then one day I heard a little CD called Peace Sells.. But Who's Buying?
It changed my persective. It's MAD. It's a masterful work of thrash, blistering technical virtuosity, powerful lyrics and allround agression like I've never heard before. With highlights like "Peace Sells" and "Wake Up Dead" it truly equals Metallica's greatest works.
Don't be put off by "Killing Is My Business," Megadeth's weaker first albumn. This truly rocks. If all those Garrage fans could hear this, Metal would rise from the ashes and conquer the world once again!
By this album today or live a lie!
on 7 July 2014
As a fan of pretty much any genre tied to rock and metal it took me long enough to get round to listening to Megadeth. I have always been a fan of Metallica's heavier albums so naturally the other of the "big four" thrash metal bands were on my mind and I have to say Megadeth are my second favorite.

This being one of their earlier albums is fairly heavy and chaotic compared to the stuff they started churning out later on but tracks like Peace Sells and Good Mourning Black Friday are timeless classics of metal in my opinion.

Only given it 4 stars because I feel it is not as well balanced as some of their other work and a few of the tracks are fairly forgettable but apart from that it is great.
on 8 August 2003
If 'Killing is My Business...' was Mustaines's parting shot at his former Metallica bandmates, then 'Peace Sells...' is his finally showing his teeth to the rest of us.
1986 was the year that Metallica gave us 'Master of Puppets', Maiden gave us 'Somewhere in Time', and Dave Mustaine finally stopped being a petulant young rock brat and started displaying his remarkable gift for songwriting and ferocious guitar work. Having assembled a band who were not so much musicians as partners in crime, they set about making a name for themselves among the big boys of thrash, which is where they were obviously certain that they belonged. The result was 'Peace Sells', which brought a new, saw edged sound to an already exhilerating genre.
Like many of their contemporaries, Megadeth seem to be losing favour lately among many younger rock fans, but if you're after a piece of real metal history this is a must buy. I dare anybody to listen to 'The Conjuring', 'Good Mourning/Black Friday' or 'My Last Words' and say that this band doesn't deserve some serious recognition even now. Any self respecting metal fan should - nay, MUST listen to this...
on 3 April 2014
You know when mustaine stopped cryin like a bitch about getting the boot from Metallica he made some pretty good s***but none better than this , I loved this when it came out I really thought they could only get better but they went down the pan after this(yes I know shock horror I thought rust in peace was a bag of s***) best tracks easily wake up dead ,devils island and peace sells .it was just too short,great live too in the olden days!
on 8 July 2014
Everything was well done
on 21 August 2013
Some of Megadeth's finest work. Even better was the fact that I was sent an original master and not the '04 remaster.