on 18 February 2018
A 5-novel sequence which rewrites the nineteenth century bildungsroman for the twenty-first century. Moving between the harrowing and grotesque, to farce and something more hopeful, Patrick Melrose's journey to a form of adulthood is exceptionally long, convoluted, and difficult.

Offsetting the disturbing events, especially in the first two books, is St. Aubyn's prose which is stylish and stylised, cutting and caustic, a way of holding emotions at bay and yet capturing them between the lines on the page. Dark, for sure, but also rich, sophisticated and, in places, deadly cuttingly funny.
on 2 November 2015
I must have read a profile of the author & bought the first book & finally read it on a work flight. I found the end third hard to read, as I have a son the same age as the lead protagonist, but I saw it through as the author writes some beautiful, Wildian, sentences & phrases. I didn't think I'd continue the series, but then read a detailed New Yorker piece on Edward St Aubyn & that made me buy & consume the rest. It's fascinating to realise so much of the character's life is autobiographical & it's a painful but uplifting story. I loved it - and am looking forward to the final book hopefully delivering some form of peace & redemption for Patrick - however I'm glad I can now move onto something more lighthearted & benign.
on 22 August 2017
A great by difficult read. Edward St Aubyn has a great style and wit. It is hard to put this down once you have started to read.
on 10 January 2018
Simply brilliant. The premise might seem like heavy weather but the prose glides along and you will read it obsessively. Buy it for summer and dive into the five books over your holiday.
on 27 September 2014
Excellent value to buy the collection.

wonderful writing of difficult subject matter.
on 18 April 2016
Interesting reading.
on 8 December 2015
Beautifully written if somewhat harrowing at times.
on 8 September 2015
Good price and Good service.
on 11 September 2013
A stunning set of books. So pleased I was recommended to read this set - I am telling everyone to read it.
on 11 February 2015