on 19 January 2015
I have had this book for approximately two months now, and after knocking out a few of the recipes all I can say is that I am very satisfied. The book is clear and concise with easy to follow step by step instructions and has pictures as well which I found aided me in the process of cooking.

What I will say is that I was a pastry and dessert rookie, so I was using this as a starting point and I feel I have come on leaps and bounds as I had a little bit of a fear of doing desserts as I thought it always appeared so difficult. This book has given me a bit of a cooking addiction and I'm glad I bought it.
on 30 March 2015
Nice book with lots of recipes. As it`s been mentioned in some other reviews, in some recipes the author gives incorrect proportions, for example when preparing choux pastry dough I definitely needed more flour. The Paris-Brest recipe does not have proportions for the praline paste. However, I still can recommend this book because it has a step-by-step guide and lots of illustrations. My family loves desserts from this book!
on 4 August 2017
love this book, all classic of baking include, very well presented step by step recipies , love it love it love it
on 7 March 2017
Easy to follow, made a cake from there and turned our beautifuly
on 12 March 2017
A little complicated for the beginner but nice pix all the same!
on 25 March 2015
Good book
on 12 June 2017
SOME GREAT RECIPIES
on 18 April 2017
This book is the best ever published as a step by step guide to French pastries, or any other for that matter. I would love Murielle to know that she has got it spot on. It is so important to give correct information, expensive mistakes are not a happy experience. An example, a French chef who

has a cookery school in this country stated in his recipe for making Genoise sponge that the sabayon should be whisked until pale and volume has grown three times in size. Murielle gives an exact time for whisking of 15 minutes for a sabayon (in her fantastic 'light chocolate tart') which is so important as it takes that time and it worked beautifully. We are not chefs or patissiers and Murielle may not realise herself how useful that information was. I have been longing to start a blog to criticise chefs of great notoriety who turn out books willy nilly and clearly have no idea how to make some of the recipes; if I was truthful, I'd likely be sued which is the only thing stopping me. I am sure they pop into the kitchen in their restaurants and ask for a recipe to put in their book which offers an approximation of ingredients by people who are knocking these up day in day out. I am a good home cook and have followed recipes for 45 odd years and now I can see when a recipe is not going to work, well sometimes, but most young cooks wouldn't have the experience to notice whether proportions are incorrect. You can see the vast variation from chef to chef on
making the same thing; Pasta is one and so many just don't turn out despite following the reciipe to the letter. My only problem with Murielle Valette's book is that it fell apart easily when I opened it wide to sit it on my book support. I guess she was just trying to keep the price down. I cannot praise her enough, she is quite wonderful.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 12 November 2013
Whose mouth does not water at the sound of the word 'patisserie'? With this book, you can master the art of making French pastries at home. Murielle employs the traditional hand techniques in her art. The step by step instructions and photographs show you how to make a variety of pastries, doughs, sponges, creams and meringues. Learn how to make a variety of tarts, tartlets and pies, pithiviers and turnovers, millefeuille and choux, clafoutis and pancakes, roulade and cakes, madeleines and financiers with the basic pastry techniques. For breakfast, you'll discover how to make croissants, brioches and breads. This is a wonderful and easy to follow book, filled with absolutely delicious recipes. All my favourites and a lot more are here in this wonderful selection of sweet desserts. For anyone who loves French food, dessert and the art of cooking.
on 14 November 2014
Disappointing. This French pastry books starts well, Murielle explains the basics, Short crust, sweet short crust, choux and puff pastry but through out the book Murielle leave a lot to guess, here and there quantities are missing and recipes are incomplete, and if you are not a confirmed baker to start with you will be lost.
If like me you thought that by paying about £10 you'd be able to teach yourself some French pastry you are deluding yourself, I regret to have bought this book. A waste of money