Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 24 March 2017
Wordy and rambling, going on and on and on......... The story revealed in the first meeting of the two central characters sounds promising and entertaining, but then you get lost in the pointless trivial detail that has little bearing on the story. Very disasppointing, as I enjoyed Snobs and had hoped for something as good. I'm about a third of the way through now and will slog onward for a bit more, hoping that it will live up to its initial promise, but |I don't have high hopes.

Well, I'm now about ten pages from the end and have to admit that it did eventually become more interesting and enjoyable. There was still a fair amiount of background information that was unnecessary but the story progressed more quickly and got to be quite involving and enjoyable.
on 11 August 2013
I loved the book -- although it is about the aristocracy and their changing role in society, in many ways it reflects society as a whole. There are bores and snobs throughout the classes -- and those that do better than others with the hands they are dealt and those that simply go out there and get what they want. The book covers all the bases. I also loved the references to places long gone -- the Battersea Park permanent fun fair, for example. The rich may have had the money to cordon off parts for private parties (as Diana did for her boys at the fun fairs in the eighties and the mega rich do today), but that fair was magical for many others who didn't mind rubbing up against the crowds. And the fun fairs weren't as packed in those days -- no half an hour queues for a big ride. So all told, a lovely book, beautifully written and full of both social and emotional nuance. I've read Snobs too -- the first Fellowes book I read and, as soon as I put it down, I downloaded this one. He knows how to write and what interests the reader. He also knows his subject well and his confidence and humour shine through.
on 12 June 2017
Disappointing read,not upto Julian Fellowes usual standards of work sadly and difficult to 'get into' shame as I was so looking forward to the read
on 10 July 2017
I have not had time to read this book, but on looking through briefly it think it will be a good story
on 10 March 2017
bought as a gift
on 20 September 2017
recieved in good order.
on 5 July 2017
Quite a bit of observation about social manners but the story did eventually get going and was well plotted.
on 16 May 2017
I LOVED this book! I'm not generally a novel reader but I'd read this again it's so clever!
on 30 March 2017
A very good read
on 9 June 2017
Very entertaining and evocative of the time