Customer reviews

on 2 August 2017
For Alice her life starts to change and she cannot work out why, until one day it all becomes clear. Suddenly a whole new world is opened to Alice as she is tasked to free one of her kind which makes her the hero of the day.

I thought the book was an enjoyable read, with a great storyline and a mythical twist.
on 7 April 2012
I read this book during the early hours of a cold dark night and as I read gradually the world became colourful,warm and sunny such was the power of this wonderful fantasy!
I held my breath during the metamorphosis,I licked my lips during the feast and I had to stop myself cheering aloud when the unicorn took to the sky. No, I am not in the target age group of 7+ but add 50 years to that and you will be nearer the mark. In my opinion the quality of the narrative transcends any age barriers.The plot was strong and the sub plot also stood up to close scrutiny.The characters were memorable and adorable.
I will not hesitate in buying the sequel.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 February 2014
In this book for young adults, Alice Parker is a thirteen year old with all the typical problems. A major one is her older brother, studying science at Oxford. She begins to find her school work easy and gets top marks in subjects into which she’s put no effort. Great, you might think. Not so when it leads to problems with her classmates. It’s not just her sudden acquisition of brain cells that leads to such a change in Alice’s life.

This is a lovely story with an interesting premise. It’s something a bit different and the dialogue between Alice and her best friend and her brother rings so true. It’s got problems and difficulties for Alice and her friends to solve – it’s not all plain sailing – but it’s a great feel-good story. Excellent for old and young alike.
on 31 May 2013
This book was just amazing. When I read the title I had no idea what she was going to turn into. I didn't not like any of it. I enjoyed it so much. It's one of those books you just can't put down because you want to find out what happens next. I read this book really easily and really enjoyed it. I would suggest this book to children my age (12).
on 5 August 2012
My one regret regarding this book is that it took me so long to get around to reading it on my TBR list.
It came highly recommended by author friends and now that I have read it I can understand why. The book aimed at the younger spectrum of the YA genre is written in such a way that children and parents alike would love to read this. The story of Alice and her metamorphosis is a fun read with Alice as a strong little girl with problems with fitting in at school, having few but good friends, an older brother who does not recognize her existence and doting parents.
Her brother however does a 180 and her best friend sticks with her, her metamorphosis places her in danger and still she is a typical young girl. I love Alice and her human shortcomings, entering with her into a world, we all can only dream about. The first thing I did, after the end of the book was to go on Amazon to see if a second book is available. This is a book that needs to be in a series. An awesome series. I give this book a flying 7 *** *** * review.
on 28 February 2014
Reviewed by my 11 year old son:

This was a very good book. It is funny and interesting because of the way everyone acts.

The main character, Alice, turns from an everyday human girl into a Finwip (you need to read the story to find out what a Finwip is). This book describes her initial adventures as a Finwip.

The sequels are equally good.

(my son is unusually reticent about describing this book but he has read it from cover to cover countless times and wouldn't put it down for weeks. He enjoys science fantasy and stories with mythological characters involved. If you like Percy Jackson, Eragon and The Last Dragon Chronicles then you'll probably like this.)
on 16 September 2013
My 11 year old daughter, an avid Harry Potter fan, is a non stop reader. She doesn't like Jacqueline Wilson or this style of book and as she has got older finding suitable books is getting trickier. We took a chance on this book as a random choice. My daughter says "This is an awesome book. I couldn't stop reading it and had to get to the end! Couldn't wait for the next one! Exciting with great characters and a really good read. Highly recommended." So there you go! As it is a series it means that we have the next few reading books lined up!
on 11 September 2012
Thank you Nicola for letting me read this book

It is a book for all ages and mum and dads would love reading it to there young children

This is a book about Alice Parker where she starts to get very good at school, but she has sleepless nights and can not stop eating,

He brother Thomas and her best friend Sarah are with her when she get her wings,
she found out that she is a Finwip just like her granddad.

This is about how Alice copes with her new life but she has to help someone, an so the adventure starts
on 11 March 2013
This is a fabulous book in which Alice Parker discovers she is a finwip: a winged being! Alongside Sarah, her best friend, she is forced to become friends with her enemy, Lucinda Rowbottom, and rescue Theo, an elder tuneup the Lucinda's father, Brian (leader of the Sinwips, worst enemy of the Finwips) has taken captive. As only the Finwips and Sinwips know this, can she hold her nerve and secretly rescue Theo? This is an amazing book for anyone aged 8 and above.
on 18 August 2013
This book is good but I just couldn't love it no matter how hard I tried. The world described was magical and even though the Finwip's sounded amazing, this type of fantasy character just didn't interest me at all. I enjoyed the characters and it was refreshing to see a friendship between girls that didn't rely on both of them being so damn nice.

While this book is aimed at kids and I understand that you won't get a complex plot, I felt that not a lot actually happened in it. It's short, which could be part of the reason, but we only get one real 'exciting' scene at the end which was really fantastic but the rest of it suffered from first-book-syndrome. The awful side effects include having to explain every single concept and build an entire new world and try not to really really bore the audience. I thought Palmer done a fine job with this but because of the length of the book it meant there was no room for other exciting scenes.

I would recommend this but I wouldn't compare it to other more exciting kids series on the market, it's nothing like them (whether that's a good or bad thing - you decide).