on 3 February 2018
On the back of the book it is described as ‘action packed...’. That isn’t entirely accurate. The action scenes - when they finally arrive - are epic and nail biting. However a very large amount of this bulky tone is about scene setting and tension building.

That isn’t a criticism as I had no knowledge of The Yemen before I read this book. I now feel educated as well as entertained! Also you never quite know if danger is lurking around the corner - and sometimes it is!!!

Wise-cracking John Corey is all you want from a hero. Similarly it’s great having him share the pages with one of DeMille’s previous stars, Paul Brennan, who is cut from a similar cloth to Corey.

The book’s ending contains so many twists you are constantly shocked (in a good way). Worth the wait for it to all ‘kick off’!

There are a couple of loose ends (which in no way spoil the main plot) that seem likely to be picked up in the sequel ‘A Quiet End’ (aka: ‘Radiant Angel’ in the USA).

I for one have rushed to get that next book to see what happens next.
Good work Nelson.
on 17 January 2016
John Corey has got to be the most irritating character ever created. I Have read and thoroughly enjoyed most of Nelson DeMille's books, and I never thought I would end up giving up on one less than half way through. Corey's pathetic attempts to be funny make it so annoying that it becomes unreadable, though.
Looking at the reviews from the newspapers, they must have been reading a different book. I can only hope Corey is ditched quickly because I would never buy another where he is the lead character.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 March 2013
I'm a huge fan of the John Corey novels so I was looking forward to this instalment and I wasnt disappointed. John and Kate travel to Yemen to try and take down the high-ranking Al Qaeda operative known as "The Panther"...can they get him before he gets them? As you would expect from a Demille novel, its thrills and spills all the way, with John wisecracking and Kate rolling her eyes all the way to the ultimate solution. The only reason I have given 4 stars not 5 is because my favourite John Corey novel is still The Lions Game so I thought that should be reflected. That does not detract from the fact that this is a terrific read, the standard of writing as usual is high and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you havent yet tried this series you certainly should - start with "Plum Island"..and I envy you the journey. More please!
on 25 August 2014
As with other critics, I found the wise-cracking of the central character excessive, unnecessary and made him far less credible than in previous novels. As a manager I would have admitted him to hospital rather than select him for such a mission had I been aware of the displayed character traits. Having read all the previous fiction by the author, I was disappointed by this one. It was one of those books I kept putting down and had to have a break before I could continue. I hope the author regains his quality in his next novel. I did like to see his central character from Up Country reappear in this book.
on 22 October 2017
Good read but missing a lot of plot and sub-plot. I felt that the Panther was generally missing from the storyline and seldom made an appearance. Very little character development or twists n turns. Quite disapointing compared to earlier Demille works.
on 12 February 2013
I have read almost all of DeMille's books over the years and have always enjoyed the Corey character.

Unfortunately, this book plays out as almost as if it were an excuse to bring him back another time.

I have two main gripes:-

1- The plot - it was wafer thin and really dragged on at times. Also, I'm just not sure how much more I can read about Corey/Mayfield in "sandland" etc. I'd have preferred another setting/something other than Al Queda.

2- You will struggle to turn a page without some quip - it's as if DeMille is trying too hard. Corey is in an awkward situation, he says something very controversial and you think "wow" - but then there is a "just kidding" comment immediately after - just too chummy between Corey and the reader in my opinion. It would be fine if it was just occasional - but it happens too often.

I did enjoy the bringing together of Brenner (General's Daughter, Up Country) but overall, I cannot say many good things about this book.

I am still a big fan of DeMille, but this was a disappointment for me.
4 people found this helpful
on 19 December 2012
Character John Corey provides us with his "sarcastic wit" at its best in another enjoyable DeMille story. You have to watch the quote marks pretty closely in this one to see what is spoken vs thoughts. Beginning the story, I thought it would run, time wise, much longer than it did, but that doesn't matter. Get to know quite a bit about Yemen which was interesting. Thought the story dragged in places, but honestly, that was because the suspense was so high, that you just wanted to get to the next action as quickly as possible. Thought it was another great read even though others are not giving it great reviews....to each his own, but I liked it, thus 5-stars.
on 18 August 2017
I very much enjoy his books but did find the constant quipping of the main character a little tiresome after a while. I do however find his description of whatever country the story takes place in very interesting.
on 23 March 2015
Riveting story that is closely linked to events that did happen. Nelson DeMille is an amazing writer who can paint a canvas with words that is so Intense , and in equal amounts amusing that
you will not want to stop reading. Equally you will feel like you have lost a good friend when it is read as you will enjoy this book so much that you will want more!

ore!
on 30 November 2016
As you read through the novel, new layers of the plot are revealed and what starts off as a mission with a simple objective becomes much more complicated. There is also some interesting comment on wider social/personal/governmental issues. This is one of the best thrillers I have ever read.