on 18 March 2012
This is a beautiful book. I bought it for my mum who has Alzheimers and it has helped her talk about the old days. The photographs are absolutely stunning. I cannot praise this book highly enough
on 13 January 2012
Having already bought "Lost London" I was slightly worried that I might be wasting my money on this book. I needn't have worried. This book is packed with so many more photos than "Lost London" that any replication feels insignificant. The photos are large and there is so much detail (even more with a magnifying glass!) that you feel transported back in time. I boughgt this book to explore my London ancestral roots - it has been invaluable. This book might feel expensive but is truly worth every penny.
on 20 January 2012
just saw this magnificent book in a book shop ,was so amazed of the size and weight of it ,but when opening it was stunned to view the pin sharp pictures , every one is supurb of the day ,well if you were born in them days it took you back to you childhood , couldn't saw any faults with the quality and sharpness , shows how photography hasn't changed much with this book of imaculate pictures , so i will have to put my amazon order in quick before they all go , especially at this price , so anyone who's into old scenes like these must purchase this book !!
on 21 January 2013
This book is ideal for anyone interested in history, in particular researching London of bygone eras. The photographic plates give much detail of a London lost to modern development - but not lost forever thanks to cameras and photographers. Its a very heavy tome, but has a lot of content, and with Amazon's reasonable prices is excellent value for money.
on 21 July 2015
A book with very good photographs from the past. Bought for someone who as a "Londoner" really appreciated its contents. From that perspective a very good book.j
on 31 December 2017
Superb book,i am well pleased thanks.
on 8 August 2017
Wonderful pictures of the London we will never see again.
Some of the buildings must have been very grim to live in, not comfy like modern builds.
Very glad I bought this book, though it did make me a little sad at times.
on 5 June 2013
this is a sumtuous book, It illuminates London beautifully with tantalising glimpses into the past lives of ordinary people. whenever I open the book, I find myself peering into the pictures intently for ages, imagining the lives lived at the time the pictures were taken. I consider the book an heirloom to pass down the generations.
on 2 August 2015
My wife bought this for me as a Christmas present and I couldn't have received a better present. Although there are pictures of areas that I am not familiar with they are none the less interesting. A truly amazing glimpse into the past of how our ancestors lived and how London once looked in all it's glory - warts and all. Something new to see everytime you pick it up.
on 20 September 2017
intended as a Christmas present so not studied in depth yet. Early indication is that it is a super book, well packaged and speedily sent. Very pleased and well done.