VINE VOICEon 18 June 2010
I have a full frame DSLR and an Olympus PEN for travel shots; my wife has a Lumix G2 so this lens made sense for us to share.

I mention the SLR because because for those thinking of getting smaller gear instead of full size it might be relevant.

Firstly, this is quite a big lens compared to other micro 3/4rds lenses - much bigger and heavier than the kit zooms. With a reach equivalent to a 400mm in 35mm terms, this is to be expected. However, it is very well made and considering the reach the reach the actual size is not too bad.

The image quality is very good - I've read some reviews that say it lacks contrast but I don't think this is the case. So far then, on both the Pen and the G2 it scores really well.

So why 4 and not 5 stars? The OIS image stabilisation works, but not as well as the 70-300mm zoom on my Canon. At 200mm (400mm equiv. on a full frame) it's quite hard to keep it steady without high shutter speeds, which requires good light or high ISO.

Having said that it's the only game in town as far as long zooms go for micro 4/3rds; I'm glad we have a good one from Panasonic!
99 people found this helpful
on 14 January 2013
Arrived amazingly quickly using the new Amazon locker system, very efficient.
Even better was £50 cashback from Panasonic on special offer making it half the price of Jessops, no wonder they have gone bankrupt!
Lens feels high quality, metal rather than plastic fixings which is reassuring.
Pictures taken so far have been excellent the ois system works well and control both automatic and manual for focussing is reliable. Auto focus is not as quick as some but only when hunting for focus through branches to snap animals etc. I use manual focus for birds in flight anyway. Image seems sharp to the edges and for the price you just can't go wrong.
on 5 August 2011
The standard lens supplied with the Panasonic Lumix G2 is limited to 14 to 42 mm, so I wanted to expand the range. The 45 to 200 mm lens allows for a wider zoom range, while offering the same quality of photographs as the standard lens.
The lens is easy to use and offers automatic focussing with the Lumix G2 camera. It has inbuilt image stabilization, which can be switched off. Zoom is via a twist grip on the lens, which is a natural mechanism to use. Manual focussing is also possible, using a second twist grip, if automatic focussing is switched off on the camera.
The only drawback is the weight and bulkiness of the lens. To get a smaller and lighter lens of same quality would have cost much more. Since it is designed for the Panasonic Lumix series, it was the most suitable lens to buy. However, 200 mm is still rather limiting.
7 people found this helpful
on 4 April 2013
Bought this lens largely on price, to go with my Lumix G5. I'm planning a river trip later on and the X3 magnification lens which came with the G5 clearly won't be up to it. I gave the 45-200 a first prolonged test over Easter. You clearly get a lot of lens here with all the magnification I could reasonably want. A couple of issues arose, both mentioned by other reviewers: 1. the stabilisation doesn't seem to work too well in low light. Balancing it on the missus's shoulder seemed to do the trick but I see now the manual says switch off the stabilisation when using a tripod (AKA the missus, presumably!); the autofocus can be a bit slow. However, not really an issue for essentially static shots.
One person found this helpful
on 3 November 2012
This 45-200mm Lumix lens is fantastic quality for the price. Bought it on here for £197.99 and then claimed £50 cash back from Panasonic. All this for £147.99 - it can't be beaten.The zoom is equivalent to a 380mm telephoto in the lager format Dslr's and the quality of the image is really superb. It's light, easy to use and doesn't make my G3 too heavy to carry around. The only slight downside is that the low light capability is somewhat compromised by the maximum aperture available but I either use a tripod or adjust the ISO rating to compensate where possible. If you need to use slow ISO speeds in low light then you'll need a tripod but it's not a serious drawback for the cost of the lens. Focuses fast and accurately even when things are moving. Buy it and you won't be disappointed.
4 people found this helpful
on 18 February 2012
I have had this lens for a week or so now, and I am pleased with the way it performs.I am only an amateur photographer, and this lens meets my needs satisfactory. for the price, it can't be bad, I'm using it on a GF2, I wouldn't want it to be much bigger than this, the size is just about right for this camera. I also have the14/42 Kit lens, and the 14mm pancake, so for my needs the 45/200 zoom completes the focal lengths I use. I have read that some people notice image softening beyond 150mm, but that hasn't been my experience, it's sharp enough for me, if you want more sharp, pay more money. I recommend this lens both for quality and value for money
on 11 May 2014
I've been using this for 2 months now with my Lumix G5. The body of the G5 holds it well. My fear was that it would tip over because of the huge lens but it didn't. The auto-image stabilizer works really well when I zoom and with an unsteady hand. It does focus slowly though when zooming in to fast.
4 people found this helpful
on 30 March 2013
I have a Lumix G2 and this lense came to south america, new zealand and Australia with me. More compact than a lense of the same magnification on a Cannon or Nikon. So it was light enough for me to drag through rainforrests, across the amazon, up and down the inca trail and is still performing well.

great product.
on 29 November 2011
This is a great lens which I use with my Panasonic GF1. Its great for capturing those more distant shots and I was happily suprised by how sharp the pictures are. For the money it is fantastic.

If you have one of the newer Panasonic G cameras, I would consider the the lumix G X range of lenses which are premium quality and more optimised for HD recording.

If you mainly shoot stills or if you have one the earlier models like my GF1, this lens is great addition in my opinion.
One person found this helpful
on 22 September 2011
Tested lens under a number of conditions using an Olympus E-P3, and found it to be a good general purpose zoom. AF struggles under low light at 200mm f5.6, but pulling back to 195mm approx. can compensate. Other have stated that lens is soft at 200mm, tests showed that using a manual AF point there is a tendency for the camera to back-focus slightly (don't know if this is different on a Panasonic body). The E-P3 has image stabilisation built in the body so makes the lens option obsolete, but at the long end of the range camera shake is more pronounced so a fast shutter speed, higher ISO or a tripod is useful! Also found reducing the camera's noise control, which is by default aggressive, improved overall image quality. Debated over the Olympus 40-150 but tried the Panasonic out before purchase as it seemed to have the edge.