Customer reviews

Painting Flowers with Impact in Watercolor: In Watercolour
Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 September 2008
This book took it's time in coming to me, but boy was it worth the wait. I absolutely love this book. I have dabbled with flower painting before, but this book has truly opened my eyes to what is realistically achievable even as an amateur artist like myself. I have half read the book already (one day) and have tried some of her methods and produced some work I am very pleased with. Her text is easy reading and her projects and explanations are easy to follow. But most of all her gallery within the book is a joy to behold.
on 4 May 2013
My wish to paint is driven by my love of flowers, and trying to do justice to there simplistic beauty. This book I found encouraging however it also made me realise that the simplicity of this art form, is technically challenging and I have a long road to travel to come close to the standard set in this book. It is an excellent reference book and one I shall refer to constantly.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 April 2009
Julie Collins is a top class artist whose flower paintings in this book have emotional impact on the viewer. She's simply the best. She doesn't show you how she gets there with no step-by-step instruction to show how her flower paintings develop. I'd love to know how she does those delicate lines around the petals that are contrary to normal practice and advice and that I just adore for their effectiveness. I have just sent an email to ask her! The paintings are clean, beautiful and spare.
22 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 April 2010
When I first opened this book I just kept saying "ooooohh" at each new page. I have found it inspirational. I have recently returned to watercolour painting after not laying paint to paper for years and now find myself rushing home from work just so I can "get at it" again. This book has very clear illustrations, beautiful pictures of her work and I now realise I can be technically quite inaccurate in my paintings but still produce beautiful results. Flower painting isn't always about re-producing doggedly accurate representations of the subject but is often more about capturing the essence of the subject. A bit arty-farty I know but you know what I mean. I hope.
on 25 May 2009
THIS BOOK ARRIVED VERY QUICKLY AND IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. IT HAS EXAMPLES OF MANY ABSTACT TYPES OF FLOWERS AND IS A JOY IS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO PAINT. I AM REALLY ENJOYING PAINTING FROM THE MANY DIFFERENT EXAMPLES OF UNUSUAL PICTURES I WOULD DEFINETLY RECOMMEND. LOVING THIS BOOK. WOULD DEFINETLY BUY FROM THIS SELLER AGAIN!
on 6 December 2009
This book is a wonderful help to painting for pleasure, especialy usefull for beginners like me, A well written book gives all the information you will need to produce a stunning picture.
on 14 April 2013
This book achieves what it sets out to do. There is comprehensive advice on choosing and using watercolour materials. Although it is a suitable guide to straightforward botanical illustration, it really shines, where it comes to design and using flowers as a way of creating striking compositions.
on 4 January 2016
An absolutely beautiful book. A treasure trove of ideas and well executed watercolour paintings that leave me breathless. I only wish I could paint as well as the author. The section on watercolour painting on velum is extremely interesting. Recommended.
on 3 March 2013
I was really disappointed: to me, these paintings are a bit wishy washy: I prefer stronger colour, and I like to see backgrounds, not just white paper. It's a bit too botanical, this style, for me.
on 12 January 2010
The book I ordered arrived promptly and the service was really excellent. Would use this service again. The book is really well written, informative and helpful.