Paddington Station: Its History and Architecture Hardcover – 19 Apr 2004
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'The text has been revised and updated to include the recent refurbishment of the 1913-14 roof span at Paddington ... There is also an account of the virtual last-minute discovery of a cast iron canal bridge designed by Brunel in Bishops Bridge Road, hitherto concealed by brickwork until it was about to be demolished ... The numerous illustrations, a number of which are new, are excellently reproduced. Most of them have considerable historic value, which together with original drawings and plans, many in colour, combine to form an attractive book.' -- Gordon Biddle Railway & Canal Historical Society Journal --This text refers to the Paperback edition.
About the Author
Dr Steven Brindle is an Inspector of Ancient Monuments at English Heritage. He lives in London.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
It is also widely illustrated with technical documents, many periods photographs and reproductions of printed material.
It should be of interest to anybody into railways history, of course, but also every reader interested in the history of transportation, and architecture, and everyday life in Britain.
It is divided in seven chapters.
1. Brunel and the Great Western Railway, 1
2. The First London Terminus, 1835-50, 12
3. Building the New Station, 1850-44, 26
4. Maturity, 1855-1947, 50
5. The Station at Work, 1855-1947, 70
6. Decline and Revival, 1947-2001, 92
7. The Architecture of the Station, 100
Illustration Credits, 166
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Planning
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Types of Architecture > Public Buildings
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Industrial Revolution
- Books > History > Cultural History > London
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 19th Century