Colour: White|Change

on 1 June 2011
I got this product to use for my hobby of painting little figures of 1/72 scale. After reading the reviews i was not too sure whether to take the plunge or not, but i am very glad i did... This product offers very good angle poise, lighting without overheating, magnification, and does not take up loads of space on my work table. I do have to say that the clip provided for holding this lamp is not as steady as it could be, and i have ended up useing the larger stand for stability. But all-in-all it does the job very well, and has made my hobby much easier to engage in. I would recomend this product to others who paint figures etc, especially when we get to an age where the eyes are not what they used to be. It has won me over from the magnifying headset i got last year simply because it offers much better light, and you don't have to have it stuck to your head!!!!!!! Hope this helps you choose wisely if you are considering this product, i am very pleased with it.
One year on, i have found that two of the bulbs have begun to fail/flicker. You can not replace these as they are on a soldered sealed loop. I contacted Pandora Upholstry who supplied this product asking if they could point me in the right direction to get this sorted, and without question they offered to replace the whole thing if i returned the failing one. This level of customer care seems very rare these days, so "all praise" to Pandora Upholstry for their prompt and first class customer care response. Really can't ask for any more than that from them, and i am still happy with the product. Can not recommend either the product or Pandoras' enough!!!!! both it, and they are well worth investing in. Thank you Pandora Uphostry
33 comments| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Purelite 3 in 1 Magnifying Lamp - I bought this for my Father as he is in end stage Glaucoma and he was really missing being able to read his newspaper thoroughly. Dad felt from first suffering Glaucoma and having difficulty at reading the newspaper he could only see the large headings and titles of newspaper headlines. He said when he could only see the headlines of the newspaper articles, he compared it to seeing a box of chocolates but was only allowed to look at but not allowed to taste the actual sweet. Therefore he could only guess what the articles were actually about, as He could see the main titles clearly but the small writing was a complete waste of time as it was a total blur. From Dad first received the Magnifying Lamp he could enjoy his daily papers once again for himself and not have to wait on someone reading it to him. Which I am sure other people will understand how frustrating this would be.
First off all the light was well packed and very easy to set up. It came in 4 pieces which included a box which held 'C' size batteries. The light worked both using Electric and batteries which was extra security for Dad as I now know if he needed any extra light and no electric was available he will be able to see clearly. There is also a very sturdy clip which a hole in it which will hold the light securely securely clipped onto a table, when he did not want to use the floor stand and therefore was more comfortable for him to have a desk lamp instead. Also another reason I did like this lamp the actual light and magnifier was in one flat object at the end of a bendy, strong flexible neck. With the flexible lamp it could be put in a position which suited the person using the lamp at anytime. Also the lights do not heat up while in use which made it very comfortable to use for long periods of time. It actually did everything which was in the description of the lamp which I counted as a huge bonus. The magnifier was large enough to see a good section of whatever the user was looking at.
This is one light I will highly recommend for anyone who wants or needs extra light for anything from reading to craft work and anything else in-between.. It is high value for money and I feel it will pay for itself in a short while just for the one fact that it enables Dad get back to his reading and anything else he needs to be able to see clearly.
on 15 January 2012
This was a gift for my mum who likes to cross stitch and this lamp makes it a lot easier. She's found mistakes in what she had already done on the current piece as this lamp showed up everyhting. Light is bright - very white light. Magnifying is good too. She uses it as a standard lamp but can be adjusted to be a desk lamp. Can also be powered by batteries although she hasn't tried this.
on 25 January 2011
Got this lamp to enable me to take up cross-stitching again. Not been able to do this for quite a while as eyesight not good enough anymore. It is more than bright enough. It is good that it has 3 "stand" options. Personally i use the floor stand one. The mirror magnifies well enough for me. The only thing I would have liked was a bit more adjustment on the angle of the mirror, it can be a bit difficult to twist the head to the position you need. However, for the price, I think it is very good value and does the job. Have no idea how you go about changing the lights when they fail though, be interesting to see how difficult that job is when it comes up. As I say, I think more flexibility would be good and you can probably get that on other magnifiying lights, but I think they are a lot more expensive (£150ish?) so this is a good start if you are not sure how much it's going to be used. All in all a good buy, enables to do what I wanted too, and happy I bought it
33 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2011
I've been using this lamp for a week now, to work with size 15/0 seed beads. It's made all the difference to being able to work comfortably and see what I'm doing. The lamp is a pretty good substitute for daylight, so I can work at night, and the magnification is ample. There's no problem with heat from the lamp at all. I'm very pleased with it.
on 7 August 2011
I have purchased various magnifying lamps in the past and found fault with them: insufficient reach, too hot, unstable etc.
This lamp meets all my needs. It can be used as a desk lamp, a floor lamp, and a clamp-on lamp. It can be mains or battery powered.
The remarkable thing is that all these options are included in the price.

The light produced is bright enough for close work (sewing, cross stitch, etc) without producing a glare. The LEDs warm up slightly but never get hot so if you're working close to the light source you won't burn yourself. The magnification is excellent.

I wanted to be able to improve task lighting whilst "quilting in the ditch" on my sewing machine. This light has sufficient reach for me to be able to place the lamp on the floor to my right (lens/light positioned in front of needle) and have the quilt to my left. It is now possible to see what I'm doing without getting tangled.

If you need a magnifying light with versatility I'd recommend this one.
on 15 July 2011
I am disabled so have lots of hobbies to pass time. I have always looked with envy at Daylight magnifying lamps hoping one day to get 1. I saw this lamp on Amazon and was amazed by the price. Considerably lower than a Daylight equivalent. Deciding to order it and was totally surprised when it arrived the next day. The product was very safely packaged to avoid any chance of damage. It required a little assembly and I chose the floor version. impressed by the quality and strength. The flexible section was very flexible and held all positions I set. The magnifying glass was excellent at 2x it gave good clear images. The lighting is by 24 diodes and reflectors giving a cool slightly blue light simulating daylight. Overall this is a well made quality product which does exactly what is says on the box at a reasonable cost. If you need a 6" wide magnifying area in either of the three modes this is definitely the one to buy. I give the product 10/10 and the trader is worthy of the highest Recommendation.
on 28 October 2013
Within hours of first use the lamp head became detached from the flexible column!
It is poorly fitted, having been centre punched on each side to hold it to the flexi part!
Totally unsatisfactory joint. The lamp itself is ideal for the use to which my wife wishes to use it
but I do think that a better job could be made of this joint! I just wonder how long the lower joint, similarly constructed, will last.
My wife needs the lamp on Wednesday so I am having to repair it with jubilee clips and plastic tubing.
It looks a good product, but only from a distance!
on 3 April 2011
Much lighter (and cheaper) than many of the larger flourescent lit alternatives, this unit is very versatile being able to be used away from mains electricity. Being LED lit the batteries last for ages, especially if you use c size rechargeables of 2200 mAh (Not supplied), though you'll need to charge those elsewhere. The supplied battery box does not allow charging from the supplied mains adapter. Running directly off the mains adapter is easy and painfree. Optics are good for this price point. Coupled with lots of mounting options, this is a winner.
on 15 October 2011
So pleased I bought this lamp - it was worth every penny. It's versatile and does everything it says on the box. I think the flexible arm on the magnifying glass is excellent and it stays in whatever position you put it in. The lighting is second to none and makes so much difference when doing cross stitch on smaller weave aida and when using seed beads etc. My only negative comment is that the box could have been packed a bit better for shipping by the supplier, although saying that the lamp arrived undamaged and in double quick time. Would recommend the lamp and the supplier without any reservations.