Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Fitbit

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Nov 2010, 23:36:20 GMT
Dean Fuller says:
I`m thinking of getting a ps3 for my kids as the old PS2 is playing up, but is there any way of still being able to play the PS2 games on it as we have hundreds of them and i don`t want to not be able to use them....
If not i`ll just have to get another PS2 off ebay or sommat as we also have a X-Box 360 anyway.

Your comments Please.....

Many thanks

Posted on 17 Nov 2010, 13:46:03 GMT
J. B. French says:
you can only play ps2 games on one of the original 60gb ps3s

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2010, 23:05:00 GMT
Any idea if Sony will release will firmware updates etc to 320GB PS Slim to play PS2 games? Backward compatibility is a huge advantage otherwise might as well look at other consules.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2010, 23:31:46 GMT
Z Fenning says:
No, it's not a software issue, it's a hardware one, the new PS3's are slimmer because they're missing PS2 hardware essentially. Shame :/ I miss my PS2 games :'(

Posted on 13 Dec 2010, 23:48:20 GMT
Tobias says:
Yes it is a shame there's no PS2 backward compatibility but it would have cost too much to implement the necessary hardware and I don't think many would have bought the console at £400+! Hopefully Sony can work something out for the PS4 so that we can finally play all generations of games! That would be a big selling point for me so I can finally get rid of my withering PS2!

Posted on 14 Dec 2010, 15:39:44 GMT
They've said they are looking into it, because with more companies deciding to do HD versions of ps2 trilogies, it's no longer a hardware issue as emulation is perfectly possible on the ps3. That said, it would obviously be a huge feature, so even if it is coming, it wouldn't arrive until the next large updates (1-2-3-4-5 etc, rather than 3.4 or something similair).

Posted on 28 Feb 2011, 22:32:34 GMT
kevinm360 says:
Another reason for abandoning the PS2 compatibility was the fact that they don't view the PS2 as being a dead hardware yet, and so the implementation of a PS3 with PS2 compatibility with an extra £100 on the price wouldn't be worth it and would hurt the sales when they could still profit from selling the PS3 and PS2 separately. (People still buy the PS2 as its cheap, and has over 3,000 games). Maybe when the PS2 is dead and buried in 2012/2013 they will release a patch to allow software emulation of the PlayStation 2. But at that point, they'll probably begin focusing on new ventures, such as a PlayStation Tablet or PlayStation Cloud (which is actually being teased as Sony just patented the trademark for a PSCloud) (PS4 seems unlikely for another 5/6 years).

Posted on 1 Mar 2011, 11:24:33 GMT
sylvanmartin says:
I am selling my 360 to buy a ps3 and i was just asking if on the internet side can use it for my mum's sun bingo game it use's flash player.

Posted on 1 Mar 2011, 12:54:56 GMT
Dean Fuller says:
but more people would buy the PS3 if they could play all their old PS2 games on it too.

I ended up buying a secondhand PS2 instead of replacing it with PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2011, 16:22:26 BST
Mike_H says:
it was included to start with and cost was very little (around £5), the £425 launch price was because of the blu-ray drive.

Posted on 1 Aug 2011, 11:57:40 BST
T Bennetts says:
I have alot of PS2 games and wanted to upgrade to PS3 but still needed to keep PS2 to play older games. Saw a friends 360 running Gears of War 2 and thought if i have to keep PS2 anyway why not get a 360 i have not for a moment regretted it yes you pay (a small amount) to go online, but its reliable and fast. games are as good as PS3 IMO and the reduced cost of the 360 made it a fantastic deal. Have had the 360 for 2 years now with no problems fantastic set up.

Posted on 10 Jan 2012, 10:15:56 GMT
G. Dann says:
I wasn't even much of a gamer to begin with but I decided to pay the extra money for a PS3 as I wanted a blu-ray player. It's one of the best decisions I ever made as some of the PS3 exclusives are amazing and online gaming with Sony is free.

Posted on 26 Jan 2012, 09:52:38 GMT
Cazique says:
I don't think that Sony will re-introduce backwards compatability while they can make money by selling DOWNLOADABLE PS2 games on the Playstation Network. This is viable for owners of a 320Gb machine but those of us with 40Gb or even 60Gb machines think twice before we clutter up our Hard Drive.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  16 Nov 2010
Latest post:  26 Jan 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

This discussion is about