Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 19 December 2009
We have a capacity to complicate Christianity. Jesus simplified it with one commandment: Love God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength. In Primal Mark Batterson explores the four elements of Great Commandment Christianity: compassion, wonder, curiosity and power. Along the way, he calls Christians to be a part of God's reformation, starting in their own lives.

"Is there a place in your past where you met God and God met you?" asks Batterson. "A place where your heart broke for the things that break the heart of God? In that moment, God birthed something supernatural in your spirit. You knew you'd never be the same again. My prayer is that this book would take you back to that burning bush--and reignite a primal faith."

Batterson says that that moment may have been during a sermon, on a mission trip or at an altar, but regardless of the time or place, a return to a primal faith is essential to all believers. According to Batterson that primal faith will lead Christians to a new reformation, an overhaul of the way they love God. "Reformations are born out of primal truths rediscovered, reimagined and radically reapplied to our lives," he says. And the importance of rediscovering the need to love God with all that we are can't be measured. Primal will help readers live in light of what matters most and discover what it means to love God, becoming great at the Great Commandment.

Admittedly, I hoped for more substance based on the brilliance of Batterson, great depth and longevity in the journey to loving and honouring the very heart of God. It's a helpful catalyst to loving God and renewing our roots. I did long for greater impact. The anticipation exceeded the reality!
on 10 February 2010
Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity explores what it means to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. Mark takes us on a journey with him, in which he often writes honestly of his own struggles, failures, and successes.

I'll be honest, I hoped for more from it. Much of what it said seemed to be reiterating ideas from Mark's first book, In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day. But as I thought more about it, I was challenged to look into my heart and see how much head knowledge I have and how little I truly act on. It's challenging me to step forward and make some changes, act on the things I believe in, rather than just believing them.

"Faith without works is dead..."