on 21 July 2002
Having had some prior experience of ASP programming and MS Database technologies, this text was my first introdction to the world of PHP and MySQL. It is well written and introduces you to the basic concepts of both PHP and MySQL in an accessible conversational style. As you progress through the text, you are gradually introduced to more complex applications through meaningful real world examples. It even has the comfort blanket of an accompanying CD-ROM with all the code! As well as a step-by-step guide, it is well indexed and will become an invaluable reference manual. I would have no hesitation in recommending this book to anyone with a little prior knowledge in programming, looking to gain a quick and practcial awareness of PHP and MySQL. I am now looking for other titles by these authors to find out what else I can teach myself quickly!
on 14 January 2004
As a relative newcomer to PHP and MySQL (but with some experience in older programming languages) I started by purchasing separate, basic books on PHP and MySQL. Both were fine, but soon failed to take me far enough.
"PHP and MySQL Web Development" looked to be an excellent 'second stage' text book, and I have not been disappointed.
Worthy of particular mention, is that fact that this book is relatively formal: no jokes or rows of exclamation marks. Frankly I don't want a jokey atmosphere in a text book, so this feature gains the book at least one extra star just for being aimed at an adult audience.
The introductions to PHP and MySQL are excellent, as are the examples, and every few pages I found myself thinking "Now I can add that feature to my website" or "That answers a question that's been bugging me for a while". Even regular expressions now make sense.
Advanced users - a stage which I doubt I will ever reach - will need a book that takes them further, but this is the perfect book for intermediate-level users, and thus far I haven't found any part of the book which I would criticise.
Summary: A PHP and MySQL manual for grown-ups. Highly recommended.
Nigel Utting
on 12 December 2003
This is a marvellous book for both newbies to programming and experienced programmers who are forking out into PHP/mySQL. I'm a developer / webdesigner with 10+ years experience in app development and think this book is great. I especially like the case-study like chapters in the back which talk you through eCommerce and web-typical different scenarios such as Shopping Cart, Online Content Management System, User Authentication, etc. Just what you need. I second the other reviews and say that you can't go wrong with this book.
on 28 November 2003
This book is a no-nonsense, cut-to-the-chase, teach you all the essentials for the novice + plenty of advanced principles and source code for the seasoned developer. I love it! Well done Luke and Laura, I own plenty of PHP and MySQL books and this is by far one of the best, if not, the very best. I purchased both editions of the book and both times I have never been disappointed. It serves as a fantastic programmers guide and reference, and the CD that comes with the book contains tons of code for use in your own projects. A MUST BUY! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on 9 December 2003
Having used several programming languages in the past I wanted to move into PHP and MySQL. Unlike other scripting languages, PHP is fairly easy to pick up especially for those with a javascript background. This book makes it even easier by being a very quick read by programming standards and everything is well explained with useful examples.
I cannot fault this book, it is superb. If you are not sure which PHP / SQL book to choose, you cannot go wrong choosing this one.
on 27 October 2001
I found this book very comprehensive. It contained everything that I needed to cover in order to create a dynamic web site that encorporated a database back end from scratch. It did this in a way that I found others lacking. Instead of tackling the basics of each topic (ie. how to use a function), it expresses the way of using the PHP etc, in a useful, productive, clear and effective manner. Personally, I found this one of its most attractive features.
As a person who does not like to read (student at university) I have to compliment the authors on that fact that it managed to keep my attention long enough to cover 50% in just one day, and it isn't a thin book either! In a single day I managed to comprehend PHP's language syntax and semantics enough to encorporate it with mySQL to produce a dynamic, database driven web page.
This book is fantastic!
However, I do have do agree with another review written regarding installation and configuration of the technologies used. Appendix A (that covers this topic) is a little sketchy and I do think that a person fresh to this topic may find it a little difficult to tackle; as the instructions inside the book are not 100% accurate.
on 11 February 2005
Thid book is the best way to learn php I have encountered. After spending over £100 on books, the one i ended up learning something from was this book. Covers everything from the basics to the more advanced aspects of php. Ony bad thing is that it assumes a bit to much that you have access to php 5. But if you don't you can just skip those parts of the book, for now.
A must have if you wanna learn php.
on 19 August 2003
This is far and away the best programming book I have ever read. If you want to make a site using PHP and MySQL DB backend this is the book for you. I thought the level was just right, you'd need some programming experience but not to an advanced level to get on well with it.
I felt it was laid out well and as I would achieve something with my site and was ready to move on to the next level, it would be there in the next chapter (e.g. Session control with PHP). Excellent examples are another strong feature, with everything (including a FULL e-book) you would want comes on the CD too.
on 29 April 2001
This book is 800 pages of good reading and is very well put together. It teaches you the techniques the theory behind subjects you get involved in, with everyday programming with PHP and MYSQL, but also manages to keep it at a subjective level. I have found in each chapter the right level of theory and practical examples. The editors have done a great job with this book clear , concise and to the point.If you are new to PHP you will find things more challenging, and Intermediate and advanced users will have their eyes opened further. So many people complain about code in the books not working, but good books should give you ideas to write your own code , that is the whole point. If there are errors you should be able to correct them , it is the techniques that make the examples important, you will find plenty in chapter 22 of this book.Welling and Thomson have hit the right cord with this one.The book is aimed at intermediate advanced users.
on 3 March 2004
I hesitated starting this book as it looked so huge and didn't have the cutsy cartoons in many other beginners books but I was pleasantly surprised.
The instructions are very clear and set out in a logical manner making it very easy to use. If you have a little understanding of PHP already you can jump straight to one of the well explained examples. Another good point is the examples are of practical use. Rather than making you create a pointless loop to count from 1 to 10 it starts straight off with teaching you how to add up an customers order and add shipping and tax!
Later the examples include making shopping carts and customer accounts that they can login to etc.
Also includes a CD with the examples mentioned in the book as well as aphache server, php and MySql to get you going. The instructions for setting this up are also much better than in other PHP books I've read.
In summary Very Practical and easy to understand despite no cartoons or colour pictures.