Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Oct 2011 19:49:35 BDT
does anyone know which format these blu-ray discs are? I am in the US, but most internet info says that even these are region free, if they are PAL format that they will not play on a US NTCS player.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2011 09:01:42 BDT
J. Martin says:
Just to point out that Blu-rays don't work out on the PAL/NTSC format, that's only for DVDs, whereas Blu-rays work on the Region A, B and C format.

But as it is, it will be region free, as all Warner Bros. releases are.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2011 13:34:24 BDT
so does that mean that these blu-rays will play anywhere on any player if they are region free? sorry to be dense, I just want to make sure the product will work if I order it :)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2011 16:38:32 BDT
J. Martin says:
Yes, they'll play anywhere, that's what region free means.

Posted on 11 Oct 2011 19:05:00 BDT
M. Teia says:
BTW it's going to be released first in US, 11 November (UK is 2nd of December).
It's a bit more expensive on amazon.com for the same set (but you can get the 1 disc only version).

The only big difference is the 3D version that will not be available for the time being in US (exclusive deal with a TV manufacturer).
In UK it will be available as the other versions the 2nd of December

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2011 06:44:04 BDT
J. Martin says:
It's not exactly the same release in the US. In the US it's an 8 disc set, whereas the UK is 11 disc, as the finally three films have a second disc of extras.

Posted on 13 Oct 2011 18:46:41 BDT
mgk says:
And the US set isn't just "a bit" more expensive - it's about double the price without the bonus discs. So yes, US customers - if you can wait a few weeks longer buy this UK set and you'll be much better off!

Posted on 13 Oct 2011 20:22:31 BDT
thank you everyone for the info! i can wait to save half the cost (or more actually)

Posted on 14 Oct 2011 18:32:53 BDT
What will make this compatible (or not) with US players is the hz. Some UK stuff is 50hz (BBC Life Blu-ray for instance), and many US players/TVs can't display that.

Posted on 26 Oct 2011 04:41:34 BDT
Gibush says:
I've heard that with these region free sets is that the movies will work on a North American player, but the special features could be encoded differently, and might not work.

Is there any way to find out about this set, or Warner Blu-Rays in particular?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2011 14:31:55 GMT
All Warner Brothers (and Universal) blu-rays released so far have been region-free, even if it doesn't say so on the packaging.

On all of the region-free blu-rays I own any SD menus/extras/special features etc. are encoded in 480i/480p which means it will work on any blu-ray player around the world. It is 576i/576p that some blu-ray players/TVs in former NTSC countries have trouble with, but Warner Brothers/Universal don't use that encoding.

You will save a lot of money ordering from Amazon UK (or other UK websites) as a LOT of blu-rays are cheaper over here for some strange reason.

Posted on 31 Oct 2011 22:11:19 GMT
Gibush says:
Thank you so much! I was very concerned. Another question, if you don't mind. Does the pre-order price stay the same until it's released? Also, when it's released do they jack up the price? Thanks again.

Posted on 31 Oct 2011 23:21:17 GMT
If the price increases after you pre-order you will pay the price quoted on the day you ordered. However, if it decreases you pay the lower price. Amazon may change the price after the release date, but that is for them to decide.

Also, outside the EU the VAT (sales tax) of 20% will be deducted from the price. Prices in the UK are shown with the VAT included.

Posted on 1 Nov 2011 14:22:43 GMT
Happy Camper says:
Does anyone know what the aspect ratio for this UK edition will be?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2011 15:02:48 GMT
J. Martin says:
2.40:1 for all films.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2011 15:53:24 GMT
Happy Camper says:
Thanks for your reply! I think I'll probably go with the U.S. edition then, since it's aspect ratio is shown as 1.77:1, and I prefer this.

Posted on 1 Nov 2011 17:07:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Nov 2011 17:13:00 GMT
@ B Holland

Both versions will be 16:9 (or 1.77:1) disc, but the films will be in 2.40:1 ratio so you still have black bars at the top and bottom. If they were cropped to 1.77:1 then you would have parts of the film missing from the left and right.

A copy of the US back cover is shown here: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Harry-Potter-Complete-8-Film-Collection-Blu-ray/30040

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2011 22:25:01 GMT
V. Logvinov says:
As Christopher Jones pointed out, the aspect ratio for both US & UK versions of the Harry Potter films will be identical. According to the back cover of the US version it shows as "2.4:1".

AND it looks like the UK version may have more "extras". I haven't compared each movie yet, but the US set has 8 discs, while the UK set has 11 discs.

Cheaper price, yet with more STUFF? Looks like an easy desicion...

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2011 16:47:53 GMT
Matt says:
@Jonathan -- 50hz is an issue for UK television programs. It won't be a problem with theatrical movies.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  10 Oct 2011
Latest post:  11 Nov 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about