- Board book: 26 pages
- Age Range: 2 - 5 years
- Publisher: Dawn Publications (CA); Brdbk edition (Mar. 2006)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1584690828
- ISBN-13: 978-1584690825
- Product Dimensions: 19.7 x 1.4 x 16.8 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (4 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 349,837 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef (Simply Nature Books) Board book – 1 Mar 2006
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Search for sea creatures beneath the depths, meet rhyming words, count to ten and back to one. Some things need to be looked for carefully, encouraging concentration and perseverance with the delight of finally finding. Scope for discussion is vast and joy to be had loosing yourself amongst the coral.
The rhyme introduces you, one by one to the sea creatures which seem to swim right out of the pages. Underneath each rhyme see the number etched into the sand with corresponding star fish. The back page has a list of suggested hand and finger actions for each of the sea creatures ~ Octopus, Parrotfish, Clownfish, Stingray, Pufferfish, Dolphin, Angelfish, Needlefish, Gruntfish and Seahorse.
Measurements approx:- Length: 7 3/4 " 20 cm Height: 6 3/4 " 17 cm Depth: 1/2 " 1.5 cm
Strong wipe clean pages, though not as rigid as some we have. Superb visual clarity and short verses make this very baby & toddler friendly. From our Ocean Box of goodies, this book is one of the highlights! Most highly recommended, gorgeous!
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This book consists of 11 verses of engaging rhyme in the same form as "Over in the Meadow", using fish and other sea animals instead of meadow animals. A new sea creature is introduced on every 2-page spread in quantities from 1 to 10.
For example, for the number "2":
Over in the ocean Where the sea grasses grew Lived a mother parrotfish And her parrotfish two. "Grind," said the mother. "We grind," said the two. So they ground on the coral Where the sea grasses grew."
And so it goes for each number, 1 through 10, with every verse starting with, "Over in the ocean...." The eleventh verse is a wrap-up where the reader has to find all 55 young animals in the 2-page spread (1 octopus, 2 parrotfish, 3 clownfish and so on), similar to the I Spy books.
Some of the supplemental features after the rhyme:
* the rhyme printed with the music, sung to the tune of "Over in the Meadow"
* information about each of the coral reef animals in the book
* hand motions that may be used for each of the verses (e.g., for the needlefish "skitter": put arms way out straight, then separate arms and wiggle fingers in a skittering motion)
* description of the artwork by the artist
The artwork is excellent -- aesthetically pleasing and very creative! The artist used polymer clay with various tools to shape all the scenery and animals onto a board. Then, "to create the two-dimensional illustrations for a book, the reliefs are photographed (with careful attention to lighting)." I, as well as my children, enjoy looking at the artwork, trying to guess how it was done. This is the artist's first book; I certainly hope she does more!
This book can be used as a launching-off point to teach 2- to 7-year-olds in more than one subject:
* The younger ones (ages 2-4) can learn their numbers and counting.
* The older ones can use this for memory work. A large class of 5- to 7-year-olds could team up in pairs; each pair could memorize a verse of the rhyme.
* It could be used to introduce a unit on :
coral reefs, or
* It could be used to introduce an art unit on clay.
* It could be used a the spine of a literature unit with all of the above as additional activities.
This could be part of a gift set to a young child, accompanied by some toy sea animals and/or a book about ocean life (or coral reefs or sea animals). The 10 kinds of animals appearing in the rhyme are: octopus, parrotfish, clownfish, stingrays, pufferfish, dolphins, angelfish, needlefish, gruntfish, seahorses.
My 5-year-old reads our library copy over and over. I look forward to having our own copy of this book, which will be a keeper in our home.