Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 14 January 2003
Not quite what we usually expect from Miss Read,this collection of Fairacre short stories are sometimes comic(Mrs Pringle's Christmas Pudding) sad (The Wayfarer) or strange but true (you'll see what I mean).
They're all interesting and well-told,and the illustrations by JS Goodall are a joy.
on 27 February 2016
I enjoyed Miss Read books many years ago and am finding that revisiting this gentle but far from romanticised view of country life is real a tonic during a difficult time in my life. Definitely books to keep and revisit.
Fairacre Festival tells the story of a summer of herculean fund raising after the church roof is badly damaged in a storm.
on 24 September 2012
I have now read quite a few of Miss Read's books in Fairacre and I really enjoy meeting the same characters and following the events in their lives. Sadly I have now finished all of the books in the series available on Kindle, so I am moving on to the Thrush Green series, also by the same author, but I still have to get into them! If you like village life somewhere in the 50s/60s, I can recommend this series, especially if you have an interest in village school life too.
on 7 September 2010
More on the wonderful Miss Read and her fellow villagers. We catch up with most of her friends and neighbours.

It shows how things were done, I think it is such an insight to how people lived in the country, how the backbone

of any village is not always who you would think it would be. How funds were collected to save things that mattered

to a community, and how life in school was. I know that they were written when such goings on were the norm but it

shows how much we have changed today and it is not always for the better.
on 2 June 2016
Another enjoyable wander through the bylines of another time with endearing characters. Enjoyed the intriguing story of Joseph Coggs and the Old Man of the Sea.
on 12 April 2016
I have read all the books in paperback and now on my kindle. They make me laugh and cry. The characters are on the whole endearing and memorable .
on 16 September 2013
Another Miss Read book to add to the ones I have already read. Very enjoyable and a good read,it has joined the collection on my bookcase
on 28 October 2013
A series of charming tales,full of nostalgia. Occasionally I found this book felt a little twee and dated but enjoyed it all the same.
on 4 March 2013
I have read all of these books, and enjoy going back to them. A very gentle read, with some good characters. A gentle bygone era.
on 21 July 2013
Fulfilled all expectations of this author. Although she can be a bit patronising at times, her gentle humour shines through.