Outwitting the Gestapo Paperback – 1 Jun 1993
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"A breathtaking account that feeds the soul as much as it satisfies the appetite for vicarious danger."--Kirkus Reviews "This book is riveting. Adventure, terror, horror, and excitement are all here; it is a feminist class as well ... full of interesting information about wartime food, clothes, schooling and manners. It is also a sturdy tale of married love, sustained and requited. The translation is so good that it reads as if it had been written in English."--Times Literary Supplement "Lively and absorbing... [Aubrac's] book interweaves the everyday experience of incredibly hard times...with Resistance activities."--London Review of Books "There is a relish for the idiosyncratic ramifications of human character that reveal themselves in crisis... As the record of a female resistante's exploits, Aubrac's account is doubly valuable. [There is] a compelling sense of immediacy as events unfold."--Washington Post Book World "An excellent historical introduction on the Resistance movement ... and an appropriately taut translation ... enhance the impact of this stirring tale of heroism, which concerns not only Resistance members but ordinary citizens, notably women."--Publishers Weekly
From the Back Cover
This is Lucie's harrowing account of her participation in the Resistance: of the months when, though pregnant, she planned and took part in raids to free comrades- including her husband, under Nazi death sentence- from the prisons of Klaus Barbie, the infamous 'Butcher of Lyon.'See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Nothing could have been further from the truth. This book gives a most amzing account, not only of the author's braveness, but that of her husband and many associates. There really were some very couragous and active resisters in France.
And the book had a great personal side to it as well. As well as describing the Nazi oppression and French resistance, it gives an excellent account of life (and love and friendship) in occupied France.
A must read!
Considering the book covers only from May 1943 to February 1944 it is still well worth a read. The good thing being at the end we are told what happened to all the characters afterwards in life. We read all these stories of these men and women and their exploits but we will never fully understand what they actually went through be they free throughout or captured and questioned but survived. But for these people there is the good chance we would all be speaking German.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This book was was a excellent read,all should read it for education purposes EtcPublished 5 months ago by Bryanm milne
A very well written book, found it hard to put it down, what a brave woman it makes you realize how much we
owe people like that for our freedom.
Found this a good read. Translation from the French very good ans very informative in detailing the general conditions and danger in a difficult perid.Published on 25 Jun. 2014 by Richie R
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > France
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Germany
- Books > Biography > True Crime > Police
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > History > Europe > Germany
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Guerrillas
- Books > History > Political History > Fascism & Nazism
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Origins