- Receive 1 Lifelong free when you purchase £20.00 or more of Dog Supplies offered by Amazon.co.uk. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
- Visit the Dog Clothing & Accessories Store for a huge selection of dog collars, leads, coats and jumpers from great brands at top prices.
- Visit the Dog Store for great offers on dog food and accessories from top brands.
- Visit the Pet Supplies Store for a huge selection of pet supplies from great brands at top prices.
- Visit the Dog Treats Store for a huge selection of dog treats from great brands at top prices.
- Visit the Deals in Pet Supplies Page for great discounts on a range of top-brand pet supplies products.
- Visit the Dog Carrier Reviews page featuring ratings from thousands of customers who have used our most popular dog carriers.
- Visit the Dog Shampoo Reviews page featuring ratings from thousands of customers who have used our most popular dog shampoos.
Outward Hound Dog Backpack, Medium, Blue
|Price:||£19.78 & FREE Delivery in the UK on orders over £20. Details|
- Removable pack takes weight off dog while at rest, and allows easy access to contents.
- Reflective accents and bright colors for increased visibility.
- Large pockets that feature wide openings and zipper closures to carry food and water.
There is a newer model of this item:
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Whether hiking on a trail or just strolling around town, the best way to enjoy the outdoors is with your best friend by your side. With our new Outward Hound backpacks, canine companions can finally carry their weight. Featuring roomy saddlebag compartments, mesh pockets, and durable zippers, our backpacks make it easy for you and your dog to enjoy the outdoors together.
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
You have to be careful to balance the two sides so that it doesn't droop down one side when he's walking along. This usually took a little bit of trial and error each day, and is easier if the load is lighter.
Easily held a blanket, water, two days worth of dried food and treats. He had no problems carrying it.
It comes in two parts - a harness, a bit like a coat which straps round the front legs and under the chest and belly. The second catch was a little suspect if pulled really hard (too tight really), but otherwise held him well. The straps were too long, but easily cut short (I then melted the ends to stop fraying).
The main bag section fixes onto the harness by Velcro. There is also a security catch which isn't really needed. The Velcro attachment works really well. We had to take the bag off most times we went through narrow kissing gates and it simply ripped off, then re-attached quickly afterwards. Some days we did this twenty or thirty times and it seems no less sticky at the end than at the beginning.
The only downside is that the bag is not waterproof - we needed to wrap the contents in plastic bags to keep them dry.
He got a lot of admiring comments from other walkers and dog owners - and also played his part in carrying his own kit for the week.
The top piece (the bags, etc.) is also removable via velcro so you can take off the bags without having to unclip the harness which is very handy if you want to take things out of the backpack or refill it with no fuss.
All in all, really pleased with this, much better quality than another I purchased recently which is being returned.
I'm not sure my dog would agree however as she seemed to sulk whilst out wearing it, but maybe she just needs to get used to it.
The only fiddly thing is the supposed quick release buckle, it's small and really stiff and awkward to press and release, apart from that it's great. I also like the fact that you can remove the pack without having to completely take off the harness which is useful for rest stops etc. But I do wish there was a handle or similar so you can easily hold the pack whilst the dog isn't wearing it.
Update on above review
I mentioned about the sizes - this is what's on the packaging
Small - 12-25 inch girth 15-19 lbs weight
Medium - 14-30 inch girth 20-49 lbs weight
Large - 20-35 inch girth 50-69 lbs girth
XLarge - 25-41 inch girth 70-90 lbs weight
Hope this helps you all, I know it would have certainly helped me.
Initially I loved this but have stopped using it as its cut all under his belly.
You have to make sure you balance both sides otherwise you get slippage, but once I mastered the art of that it was fine, not rubbing or marks on the dog even after a long walk.
I like the design -- it's like a normal harness and the pack then settles over it and is held on by velcro and a single snap. This is great for longer walks, as I can take off the panniers easily without unsnapping the whole contraption from my dog. When they're on, the velco holds firm and there's a handle in the middle in case your pooch needs a helping hand over any obstacles.
The build quality overall seems good -- the zippers move easily and seem pretty robust and I haven't noticed any weaknesses in the stitching. The fabric is a bit thin, so I should point out that my dog is always on a lead and isn't the sort to go tearing through the underbrush. If you have THAT sort of dog, it might tear if they go flying through a hedgerow.
I have two minor niggles about this product:
1. a d-ring would be nice; a seperate collar is required for walking your dog on a lead
2. the pouches are pretty big; when I go hiking and camping with my dog, this might come in handy for her to carry bigger but very light items, such as plastic bowls or spare shirts, but for walks about the local park, they could really do with being smaller. Be really careful that you don't overload your dog, as the size of the pouches might tempt you to fill them up if you've never used a pack like this before! My dog only carries about 10-15% of her body weight at any given time.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Not yet used this but has been tried on, seems to be good quality and fits well. It also has a lot of pockets and space which is really handy. My dog loves having a job!Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
this arrived one week earlier than it was supposed to arrive;i was very impressed with the quality of this product and eficiency ;the only minus to this,it`s because sometimes it... Read morePublished 2 months ago by Amazon Customer
It's longer than I anticipated and does seem to be awkward when he is trying to do his business as it gets in the way a little but other than that it's a nice well made product. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Amazon Customer
I have an Akita and this fitted him perfectly. In fact, it is still in use now and has kept its shape etc so is very robust. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Gemma Lou
I have had this a while now so thought it was a good time to write a review.
I had previously bought a cheaper alternative which lasted about a week but I loved the... Read more
Brilliant just what we needed, and fits our dog really well, despite her odd measurements!Published 8 months ago by Eva
A nicely made product, looks comfy on and you can pack a lot in, just don't over do it lol.Published 11 months ago by L. land
Good quality product especially for the price. Has removable bags attached via velcro. Theonly negative is that a harness is almost impossible to use with it. Read morePublished 12 months ago by Emma