- Also check our best rated Children’s Book reviews
Outrageous Women of the Middle Ages Paperback – 18 Feb 1998
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Publisher
Reviews for _Outrageous Women of the Middle Ages_:
"A highly recommended introduction to some single-minded women." --Arizona Daily Star
"The author's characteristic blend of playful language and historical accuracy tells of a Viking killed by a severed head, a queen who knew the meaning of congregating frogs, and much more.... It is rare to see a book about the Middle Ages that presents such diversity. The women profiled lived in the sixth through fourteenth centuries in Europe, Asia, and Africa. Their spheres included everything from astronomy to warfare. They were nomads and empresses." --School Library Journal
From the Back Cover
Some were feisty and fiery. Others were cool and dangerous. All were incredibly courageous. Outrageous Women of The Middle Ages took on the challenge of their world and didn′t worry about ruffling a few feathers.
Among the outrageous women you′ll meet are:
- Eleanor of Aquitaine queen of France and later England, she led a group of women on the Second Crusade and created her own financial system
- Lady Murasaki Shikibu besides being a wife and mother, she learned the "forbidden" language of Chinese and wrote the world′s first novel
- Aud the Deep–Minded a Viking wise woman and explorer who led her clan, grandchildren and all, on a risky voyage from Scotland to Iceland
- Hildegarde of Bingen the German nun who, late in life, became a composer, a botanist, and founded convents
- Damia al–Kahina a nomadic freedom fighter, skilled at peacemaking and war, who kept her North African homeland free
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com