Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 January 2009
I read this book about a year ago and it has never left my head. When I saw it's first review, I knew I had to step in and say something. I too am a fan of Japanese writing like the previous reviewer and am always open to new writers. This book was obviously not to this reviewers taste, as not every book will be, but I personally loved it. It was an intelligent story, which is not like any average detective novel or thriller, but one that takes it's own path in trying to solve something spiritual and mysterious and in doing so touches on shamanism and alternative beliefs, which I found fascinating. The main character's own sexual journey in this book may offend some readers as it explores infidelity and some forms of prostitution, but this element is very crucial to the story if you read to the end.

I think this book deserves 5 stars for originality and intrigue. And I know there will be others who find it as enjoyable as I did.
on 23 March 2013
A good book which started excellently but sadly trailed off in the final third.
It is written in the first person, with the main protagonist being a young female psychology graduate now working as a freelance financial journalist, having to survive the traumas of grief and various unexplained happenings. The story mixes the psychological with both the paranormal and occultism with some very explicit sexual episodes which are an integral part of the plot.

The first half of the book evolved a story that was both intricate and unusual with considerable imagination. Unfortunately this did not, to me, continue until the end. The novel would have been much better I felt if about a quarter or a third had been cut out during editing, as there seemed to be a substantial amount of similar occurrences which could have easily been shortened producing a shorter novel, or novella, but one with a much greater final effect.

I bought this book after reading the Randy Taguchi short story collection called Fujisan, purchased as a Kindle Daily Deal offer, which I enjoyed.
The author has a direct and relatively simple prose style which has at times reminded me of Haruki Murakami.
on 19 November 2008
I really do not like to give books bad reviews and very rarely stop reading a book because it is boring. This book was rubbish. It starts off fairly promisingly with a man found decomposed on the floor of his kitchen and it goes down hill from there... I cannot say if it finished well, as i got so bored i just put in down and will not be returning to it. I think i will just throw this book out which will be a first as i love books, i just do not wish to inflict this upon anyone else. The reason i bought it is because i have recently started getting into Japanese literature and have read 'In the Miso Soup' and 'After Dark' both terrific books and this was just a gamble.