Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.79

on 20 April 2009
If you liked the X-com series games, the complex plot in the games and the thrilling action behind them, the Epic series is for you. In this serie of books no one knows why the aliens are attacking earth. Goverments only know that they should be repelled at all costs, and the story is developing through one man, one soldier, a recruit in the first book but a veteran in this second book.

In this book the plot deepens in the Night Men sect and in the reasons for the aliens to attack earth.

The plot is darker than in the first book, but it is still ok. Some can be disappointed by the gradual transformation of the main character. Do not expect a surprise ending. Some points will be clarified in this book but most will be for the next books.

I still recommend it, but I must admit that is furstrating because it is way too short, and the next book is not even written... Hope the next arrives soon.

Conclusion: The first book is better, but this is still ok.
on 5 June 2015
Lee Stephen in his new book, “Outlaw Trigger” Book Two in the Epic series published by Stone Aside Publishing continues the adventure with Scott Remington.

From the back cover: They say every man has a breaking point-every man can be pushed off the edge. Scott Remington entered EDEN with the heart of a lion. He forged glory in the furnace of war. But on the heels of dawn, darkness awaits.

Only when stretched to the limit will a man truly learn who he is. That limit is about to be breached. Lines will be crossed. Sides will be chosen. And faith will be put to the test.

Will the righteous prevail?

The alien invasion, the war and Earth’s politics are just some of what is going on in “Outlaw Trigger”. Scott Remington is just a man and a man, no matter how good he is, can only be pushed so far and then he will break. Scott is such a fascinating character and we are with him rooting for him to succeed. The action and battle realism is intense and there are moments of great suspense. Without spoiling anything I guarantee you will be surprised by certain events that occur. I recommend this book highly. I am so glad I found Mr. Stephen and am so looking forward to the next book in this series.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from IRead Book Tours. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Outlaw Trigger
Epic Book 2
By Lee Stephen

Not all wars are waged on the field...

This is the second book in the Epic series and believe me when I tell you that this book won't disappoint. Unlike the first book Dawn of Destiny which took place over a longer period of time, Outlaw Trigger takes place over a 2-1/2 week period with the bulk of the story taking place over a 7 day period. Seven days that will redefine Scott Remington and the Fourteenth of Novosibirsk.

Novosibirsk has rebuilt much that was destroyed or damaged in the attack (Dawn of Destiny). Replacement troops from EDEN are slowly coming in to Novosibirsk. And then there are the Nightmen.

Outlaw Trigger has three different threads weaving throughout the story. First is the Fourteenth and Scott Remington who are about to face one of their greatest challenges. A challenge not on the battleground but one of the mind. A challenge that could very well break them and divide them forever.

The second thread involves the Nightmen. A formidable force, that no one messes with. The true power behind Novosibirsk lies with the Nightmen, and what the Nightmen want the Nightmen get. And they want one thing, and someone is about to find out just how high the price is.

The third thread is EDEN's High Command the politicians who are behind the scenes and yet the force who is over all of EDEN's bases. But Novosibirsk has again been brought to their attention due to the power General Ignatius van Thoor is wielding. Power that is threatening that of the High Command. Power that could threaten Earth's security and humanity's fight against the alien invaders who have attacked us.

These three threads make for an intriguing and exciting story. A story of loss, grief, anger, and regret. A story that will leave you shocked at the lengthens some will go to to achieve their ultimate goal. And no cost is too high, unless you are the one paying the cost...

I was provided a copy of this book through iRead Book tours in exchange for my honest review.
on 26 June 2015
Stephen's Epic of 'The Dawn of Destiny' was written very well, but the al consuming fervor of 'Outlaw Trigger' will "blow you away"! Lee Stephen opens a new demeanor to his amazing writing talent in this Epic sequel. Had it not been so much time since I read 'The Dawn of Destiny', I would have been captivated from the first page. I feel this is a series one must have the next book readily available.

The all encompassing subject matter of this story stirs intense, various emotions. There is camaraderie, humor, endearment, mystery, violence, horror, agony, self-destruction. The reactions to grief many of us can relate to or have witnessed. Keep a box of kleenix near by! This is an epic tale of how good vs evil is possible within each of us given the right circumstances.

The reader will feel he/she is a part of the group and in the scenes. The Book Cover and Title are done very well. There is some slight profanity and "bad" words but the intensity of the writing causes one to (sadly) overlook any negative aspect.
*This book was sent to me in exchange for an HONEST review, of which I have given.
Outlaw Trigger by Lee Stephen is the follow up to Dawn of Destiny and a wonderful second installment in the EPIC series. I never do spoilers, but I will say that this book is what will vault you right back to your friendly book seller for the third installment, (Hint: Just get it now and save yourself the wait.)

Stephen does an exceptional job once more of bringing the "everyman" into a science fiction world and pushing them to the limits of ability. His dialogue is superb and helps propel the story forward instead of bogging it down. Also, he has created his universe with care and given it its own "sciencey" way of working.

Scott Remington faces a defining moment here and this is where Stephen shines. He makes you feel what Scott Remington feels by taking you into the story that can easily allow you to get lost. This is Sci-fi opera at its best, and kudos to an outstanding writer for taking us on the journey.

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
on 31 May 2015
I listened to the first book on audio. Which I recommend. It is like listening to a whole movie production being played out on audio. So I was very excited to read book two and catch up with Scott and the rest of the Eden unit.

Instantly, I noticed this book was not as up to the high standards as the first book. Yet, I forgave it and started tugging along as I had grown a bond with all of Eden unit. However after a while I found it a struggle to read this book. While I did like getting to know the characters better. Also, I was excited for Nicole's arrival to see Scott but the lack of action happening in the first half of this story was difficult.

However the second half of the book is where the action and the story really picks up speed. From there it was easy reading with a few surprises. Looking forward to reading book three.
on 17 August 2013
Like other reviews I found some of the characters to be a little bit thin. The writing style also annoyed me after a while with overly long descriptions of a single emotion. How many times/ways can you say someone is angry and is going to get their revenge etc?

The sci-fi aspect of the books could do with adding to over the rest of the series, as it seems to have become more a study in the darker side of human nature.

The series does have the potential to be..... Epic.

Also, have a look at some of the 5 star reviews. Look for ones with headlines like "Wow" and "Brilliant" or "Outstanding Job", you know the type. Anyway, have a look at those reviews. Does anyone else find it suspicious that the only reviews left by those people are for the Epic series? I do.
on 3 January 2015
Loved this book. Myself and my son are now reading the series! Fantastic action with a clever story.
on 17 September 2014
Highly recommended, excellent read, quality & well worth the price!.