on 23 January 2016
A very interesting collection of anecdotes from pilots flying all sorts of different aircraft. It's interesting to see the mostly calm, analytical approach most of them take as the sometimes life threatening situations develop. That's life threatening not just to them, but their crews, and people on the ground.
Some of the situations are caused by daft decisions by other people, who'd of thought of using a Vulcan bombing range in two different directions, at two different heights, something's bound to go wrong sooner or later.
A great book for aviation enthusiasts.
on 6 April 2016
Some varied stories and exploits, some funny, some frightening. Pity that there were a lot of stories taken en masse from one persons book, it made it feel as if that person was the prime contributor and that there were not enough stories to make a good book so they padded it out with these. Some stories tended to be a technical and not suited to the layman but this is to be expected as these chaps have had to think technical for their livelihood
on 3 September 2017
Some of these stories are anonymous, but I recognise some of the raconteurs. So many of them are Lightning based. And yet there are so many possible WIWOL* stories that have not made it into the pages.
A cracking read.

*WIWOL:- When I Was On Lightnings
on 22 November 2014
Good light entertainment for the military flying enthusiast. This was the ultimate machine when I was a flyer but I never got to fly one. We always knew that it was a dangerous beast and this book illustrates just how sharp you had to be to keep up with the machine and how quickly things could get away from you. Harks back to arguably the very best time to be a RAF fast jet pilot - no computers to help, just raw skill and nerve.
on 20 December 2014
Having been Aircrew myself, in the military, I can so relate to the stories in this fantastic book. Very well written and a great read from cover to cover. Would be great to see volume 2 sometime as am sure that many stories are still untold.
on 11 May 2016
Enjoyable read especially for those who had something to do with cold war jets and the variety of aircraft written about makes for interesting reading for all lovers of flying whether in service or not.
on 27 May 2016
An enjoyable read, although I often felt some of the stories could have done with a little more background or elucidation. Having spent 13 years in the RAF and some 4 years with SOAF. I can related to quite a few of these tales and thoroughly enjoyed these experiences and my own. Heavy RADAR followed by lightweight jet killers.....
on 18 May 2014
well - that was my reaction! If you've got any connection with the RAF chances are you'll recognise the places and events (or something very similar) mentioned in the book. I was disappointed when I got to the end! PLEASE do a sequel!
on 10 September 2016
My my my,Delilah. After reading this book I had a beer out of my sock(my glass was full of goldfish). It seems that the French live in France,who would have know that.
on 18 January 2016
An absolutely marvellous selection of "tales of woe", which makes thoroughly satisfying reading!
In some case's, it beggars belief how the Aircrew survived!